• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revive those old PATA laptops with this! (MUST SEE)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

10XTriplet

Disabled
It would seem I like to do crazy things people would never consider. That said, let me jump right into it.

I have a few old PATA laptops around that I love and I can't throw out or abandon. So I thought about getting an PATA SSD, but they are pretty much non-existent or way too expensive.

Parts needed

1. 44pin 2.5" to CF adapter
2. 32gig or larger 400X or better CF card
3. an old PATA laptop! :thup:
4. How to make your CF non-removable thread

The tape is there so I could remove the drive without a problem...

Attachments

• 2012-12-06_11-46-45_0.jpg
    2012-12-06_11-46-45_0.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 199
  • Transend 32gig.JPG
    Transend 32gig.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
You definitely think outside the box...excellent!

...and at least this one cant be bunked by a $10 part and exponentially less effort! :p

You definitely think outside the box...excellent!

...and at least this one cant be bunked by a $10 part and exponentially less effort! :p

funny...:D

EDIT: This is a Latitude D505, which uses the converter for the 44 pin connector..

I was thinking about the same some time ago ( well count it in maybe 1-2 years ago ;) ) but I couldn't find IDE adapter and fast enough cards. Now it has changed a bit as I see.
One question. What about random transfers ? Can you run AS SSD or Crystal Mark ?

Crystal Disk Mark Results

Crystal Disk Mark Results

Same applies for PATA motherboards!

You can't use this connector for desktops, this is for LAPTOP's only... For a desktop you need this instead

Attachments

• 50MB.JPG
    50MB.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 100MB.JPG
    100MB.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 500MB.JPG
    500MB.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 165
  • 1000MB.JPG
    1000MB.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 2000MB.JPG
    2000MB.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
question dont you want to do the create partition as this

create partition primary Align=1024

for ssd and flash drives?? I know when I do my ssd cleaning I follow pretty much your outline but my notes say to create it as above.

Random transfers are still good for CF card and still better ( at least read ) than regular PATA/SATA drives.

Good job on this ! :)

I had this kind of idea when i was running my minecraft server on my good old P4 laptop. The HDD in it is damn slow ! If i try to use this laptop back, ill swap this kind of thing in it.

Good job on this ! :)

I had this kind of idea when i was running my minecraft server on my good old P4 laptop. The HDD in it is damn slow ! If i try to use this laptop back, ill swap this kind of thing in it.

I ordered two more to convert my old laptops @ home...

Back