• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 790FX-GD70, RAID Issues (great 1st post..)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S4Rs

Hopefully someone around here can help me. I have been scouring the internet to find a solution to my problem but not had any luck.

I recently purchased a second 64GB Kingston V+ series SSD (Gen 1 Samsung Controller (no Trim))

At first I created a Raid 0 using the JMicron controller on my Mobo, and used Windows Restore to rebuild my Windows 7 image onto the new Raid 0 Array. I was displeased with the performance this gave me. Read Rates were topped at 120MB and users on the Corsair Forums are hitting in the 350MB reads on the same Corsair equivalent (Same controller) from their SouthBridge controllers and software Raid. I removed the current Raid, wiped the SSDs with HDD Erase, and built a new RAID 0 from the ATI Raid ROM that the Mobo Boots. Then I ran Windows 7 backup, installing the ATI Raid drivers first so that the Recovery disk could see my hard drivers, and the restore works fine.

Then the part I am stumped on. The Comp restarts, gets to the ATI Raid Setup menu, Detects the Raid Array, reports functional, and then hangs... This happens after post, and before the bios setup. Even If the image didn't work right, I dont see how i cant get into the bios setup or select a boot device. The only thing i can do now is unplug the drives, configure the bios for IDE drives, then I have to use HDDErase to wipe the disk (using HDDerase is a pita btw).

This is where I need help. Is there something in my procedure I am missing? Do i need to restore my current windows iso to a single SSD or a hardware raid, then make a new backup with some extra files, or is all for nothing and i just need to reinstall windows after I make a new ATI Raid Setup?

Sorry for the long first post, I am sure they happen quite a bit on this site.

Setup
MSI 790FX-GD70
4x2Gb Patriot DDR 1066
AMD 955 BE
MSI Radeon 5870
1 TB WD Caviar Black
2x 64GB Kingstson 225 V+ SSDs

i have the same problem... except i encountered it almost a year after ur post... did you manage to solve it?

Back