• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 970A-G46 MOSFET/VRM HEAT ISSUES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Gentlemen, todays subject is vrm heat sink temps. I'm doing a very minor overclock to my brothers system and noticed very high temps(84C after 5 min of P95) at the VRM/Mosfets on HM, registered as TMPIN1 on this MoBo. I have verified these temps to be somewhat acurate with an external temp gauge and the good old touch test, very warm.

My question is, are there any GOOD aftermarket heatsinks with or without fans to help control these temps? I understand many members on these forums don't trust MSI or have little experience with them and I've been finding out why.

Here is a list of his system credentials, pics to follow.

Case: MSI IN-9410 Raptor Mid Tower Case
MoBo: MSI 970A-G46 Ver 2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6200
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
NB Cooling: Deep Cool NBridge8
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
Video: MSI N560GTXTwinFrozrII
PSU: Diablotek UL Series PSUL675 675W
HD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EALX 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s
O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit

Blaylock, the issue you're having is due to your VRM section only being 4+1. The lower phase count in general will produce the power the cpu needs less efficiently and produce more heat. One way I have used to help cool the VRM section is by mounting a fan directly on the heat sinks. You can get yourself a few 50mm fans and mount them on the heatsink using double sided tape and see if it helps.

Not only because its a 4+1, but these boards are notorious for VRM issues.

MSI themselves said that this board isn't safe with a stock FX-8xxx.

Thank you for the advice. Here are the results to your suggestion Mandrake. Two Evercool EC-5010 50mm fans mounted using a pair of NiteIze mountable twist ties. The end result is a 6C drop under identical load/time and settings. Temps are still high, but lower is always better.

Glad it helped, 6c is a nice drop, another suggestion, you could keep the side of the case open and use a house fan to blow into it. Also I love the twist tie mod :).

Thanks, I've been finding uses for those things all over the house. I'm gonna try and pull them away from the HS about a 1/2 inch tonight and see if I get better airflow, they're pretty much right ontop of the sink now.

Back