• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 990XA-GD55 / DDR3 2133

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maLchak

I'm having a trouble finding what settings to use to get my RAM to run faster.
NOTE: I've OC'd my CPU from the default 3.5 GHz to the rated 4.0 GHz
NOTE: I've updated my BIOS to the latest version.

Motherboard: MSI 990XA-GD55
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight Core

My memory keeps defaulting to DDR3-1333.
The motherboard is rated to a standard of DDR3-1866 and DDR3-2133 (If overclocked)
What settings in the BIOS need to be changed to achieve this?

Last edited:
I think on the msi boards it may be labeled as "set memory clock" you need to take that off auto and then you will be given a option for a devider, you are set on x6.66 @ 1333 speed just bump that up to the speed that you want, which is gunna be as high as it will go if you want the boards max rated, make sure the ram has the correct voltage for the clocks you want (you can find this out on the CPUz spd tab) press F10 to save and re boot :thup:

OK, now I have found how I can increase my RAM speed.

I have to increase the FSB speed, which OC's the RAM and the CPU.
The problem (I think) is now that increasing the FSB speed also increases my HyperTransport speed a lot higher than my MoBo is rated to handle. From 2600 to 2900+.

Do you think this the problem?

you dont need to use the FSB to increase the ram speed..... if you look in your'e bios for maybe something like FSB\DRAM ratio or set memory clock, you will be able to set the devider to make youre ram run at its rated speed without touching the FSB

you dont need to use the FSB to increase the ram speed..... if you look in your'e bios for maybe something like FSB\DRAM ratio or set memory clock, you will be able to set the devider to make youre ram run at its rated speed without touching the FSB

My "set memory clock" setting only goes as high as 1866. It seems like I have to use FSB to increase beyond that. Of course doing that prevents my PC from booting.

You're board only supports 1866, and up to 2133 overclocked, if you raise the fsb you need to drop the other multipliers (HT link, CPU NB) to compensate in the rise of the main bus clock, as you raise this clock it raises all the other clocks which are tied to it for there speeds, if you lower these other multipliers as you go it should solve the problem of the fail booting, and make sure you're ram is running the correct timings for the speed you are looking for by looking in the CPUz spd tab for reference of timings speeds and voltages

Thank you for the advice. Still haven't gotten it to work. I'm just going to RMA the RAM and get some 1866 instead.

The ram will probably be fine, but these things sometimes take a bit of tweaking to get working correctly.... If you can post a pic of you're spd, cpu, and memory tab from cpu-z then we could help you to try and get it working correctly and save on the RMA hassle.

Rather not deal with the tweaking. I got the 1866 overnighted. I'll send back the 2133 flat-rate box (I have 30 of them). All in all it's only gonna cost me $10 more with their restocking fee. When I upgrade to 32gb, it'll end up saving about $30(at current prices).

My SPD timings for 2133 were as follows.
XMP-2134/1067 MHZ
CAS - 9
RAS - 12
RAS Pre - 12
tRAS - 33
tRC - 42
Command Rate - 2T
Misc Timings - [auto]
Voltage - 1.6V

XMP-2132/1066 MHZ
CAS - 9
RAS - 12
RAS Pre - 12
tRAS - 32
tRC - 42
Command Rate - 1T
Misc Timings - [auto]
Voltage - 1.6V

Tried both. Increased the FSB(to get to 2133) with/without lowering multipliers on CPU and the HyperT.
Didn't work. Other than a laptop it's the only computer I have and it's really annoying having to reset the mobo every time it doesn't work.

Here's the pics.
CPUz2.png
CPUz1.png
CPUz3.png

Last edited:
You would have almost certainly had to increase the NB and / or the CPU-NB voltage in order to run 16GB of RAM at DDR3-2133.

Back