• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GTX 970 vs. MSI R9 390. Please help! :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

divinecsgo

Registered
Hello! I don't want to start a holy war between AMD and NVidia, I'm just a potato in these things.

I always thought that Nvidia is a great GPU, and have been better than AMD over some time, however after I bought GTX 970, someone told me that R9 390 is quite a bit better, and now I'm kind of concerned about it since it's my first build. Which one would you chose and why? Should I return GTX 970 (still boxed, not used) and get R9 390 instead? Maybe I should get some more money and go for GTX 980 straight away? Any help is greatly appreciated!

They're both about even for 1080 gaming. Stock clocks for stock clocks the 390 tends to perform a tiny bit better in some games, worse in others. You can't really go wrong with either GPU, they both have their strong points, and their weak ones.

If I were buying a GPU TODAY, it'd be neither the 390 nor the 970, it'd be the 8GB 290X, because they're right about the same price point, and with a little bit of an overclock, will outperform both of them.

Like I said though....there's absolutely nothing wrong with either one of those cards. You have a fantastic GPU. Enjoy it.

I wouldnt return the 970, no.

O70 and 390 are about the same with the 970 being a bit ahead in our reviews.

1920x1080. Planning on buying Benq 144hz monitor soonish.

- - - Updated - - -

What resolution are you running?

1920x1080. Planning on buying Benq 144hz monitor soonish.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldnt return the 970, no.

O70 and 390 are about the same with the 970 being a bit ahead in our reviews.

So should I stick with MSI GTX 970 then? I love the card, but I also want to have something I don't have to upgrade each half a year. Should it be fine for hardcore games in upcoming year?

Back