• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI P43-C51 + Q9550 - Need help with OC stability @ 3.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
I would like to get this system stable at 3.5Ghz, or higher if you think its possible with air cooling. Hyper 212+ (push, pull) and one additional 120mm fan in front, @ 3.5 cpu temps are ~35*C at idle and 53*C under load. Specs:

MSI-P43-C51 Mainboard
MEM: G.skill RipJaws F3-12800CL7-4GBRH (4GB x 2)
CPU: Q9550 (EO)
SSD: OCZ Vertex II 60GB
PSU: 600W Antec
Cooler: Hyper 212+
Case: Coolermaster Sileo (silent case, lined with sound deadening material)

I have been running the system at a standard 400mhz FSB x 8.5 for 3400mhz, and it has been rock solid in this configuration. However, I am now trying for 3.5. I bumped the FSB up to 412. Voltages below:
CPU: 1.254v (is this too high?, what should I be at for this clock speed?)
NB: 1.22
FSB VTT: 1.30
RAM: 1.63v (XMP profile - 7-8-7-20)

Prime fails after 5 minutes (though temps stay in range), and system randomly reboots after a few minutes. I have tried setting the memory to 1333, and issue still persists, so I think it comes down to my front side bus and/or FSB VTT configuration. I will post up a pic of additional voltages so you guys can see exactly whats what. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Of you guys think I can get more out of this proc, like 3.6 or 3.7 I am all ears.

Overclocking update

I seem to have it stable at 3.501ghz with a 412mhz FSB. See voltages below. Is the VTT FSB voltage safe for this proc? Seems reliable now, temps in the low 90s and mid 120s under load, so far so good.

Do these voltages look good/safe?:
biosvoltages_zps6341e95e.jpg

Cpu-Z:
cpuz_zpscdc2ed72.png

Memory running is DDR3 @ 1649Mhz:
memz_zps3091b374.png

Max. FSB Termination voltage (VTT) for the Q9550 is 1.40V, but I'm curious as to why you modified the CPU and NB GTL vREFs at a FSB of only 412MHz?

Max. FSB Termination voltage (VTT) for the Q9550 is 1.40V, but I'm curious as to why you modified the CPU and NB GTL vREFs at a FSB of only 412MHz?

I wasn't sure what the max VTT voltage should be set to, so I focused on the GTL and vREF voltages, which did add stability, or at least give me a baseline. I could not get past 410 without problems. But now, I've got the FSB VTT set to 1.34v and the others are set to auto. Still need to run more tests, but its getting there...

Whats the range I should have the NB in? Sorry Im used to working with AMDs in terms of overclocking... all this is new to me.

Back