• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI RTX 2070 SUPER VERY ODD PROBLEMS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aledsav1

Registered
So I have a msi 2070s gaming trio, with issues

I am currently using it and it passes all stress tests in my current setup, but I have tried it in other systems and its does not work, windows will load and then I get a solid colour screen (grey/black/blue etc) and the systems freeze and I have to power down.

Even in this system the card is currently working in, If I change to my other drive with my other windows 10 OS it will do exactly the same regardless which driver I use (always use ddu), I have tried loads of different drivers in about 3 different systems all easily capable of running the card. Have tried 3-4 different win 10 installations on drives I have and 1 with windows 11, same result on all?

There is never anything in event viewer to see that I am aware of, it is not psu related, it can happen with every driver I try. I am at a loss as to identifying what the fault could be.

any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I have also flashed the bios, initially with the original just in case there was any corruption? then tried about 3 other msi bioses, I have also reduced the core and mem clocks but same results.

How old are the other systems? Do the Mobo Bios's need updating? Even the second slot on an older Bios might need updating to run a newer GPU...I had to up date one of the PC's in my Sig to run a RTX2060 (RTX 3070) without an older GTX 970 in the first slot

My first thought is PSU, are you sure they are strong enough? What brand are they? Are you using single cables or the piggy back style, extensions? My other thought was BIOS as well though. Even my Z490 needed a BIOS update to run my 3080.

Does the card have power led's (like asus) that show the card is properly plugged in? I have an older evga 1300w psu that the 8pin + 6pin cable that's ~ bad. I have used them so much that the cables will stop powering the card if I touch/bend it :-( The other option (which is a lot harder) is to check to see if the power plugs + power connectors + still properly solder on back of card. Have you taken the card apart to clean? No = try it / Yes = could be a bad HSF to Core/Memory contact.
In the older days/cards - a bad video picture = something wrong with the memory and/or gpu on the card which was usally caused by bad OC and/or card dying.

Thanks for all replies.
Cannot see it being the mobo bios needing updating as it happens on the pc it is currently working in if I use a different ssd with win10 also installed, that goes with the psu also, I am piggy backing but get the same results when I use separate cables, so not that. So not bios or psu causing issue.
The card is sealed so have not looked at the pcb but temps are fine and only occurs immediately after windows fully loads (after I put password in). It was a used card so maybe it was seriously ocÂ’d previously, however that would not explain why it is working flawlessly now, but if I change ssd to another install it stops. I might give it an open and have a look see if I can see anything. But again as itÂ’s working perfectly in this system with this ssd I doubt thereÂ’s anything to see. If the issue was replicated 100% of the time then I could narrow it down

The only way to really check it is to do a fresh install with just the basics connected. CPU, Board, Mem, GPU, and a drive. No other peripherals aside from KB and mouse.

I will do a fresh install see what happens, will try that on 2 pcs, as all 3 pcs I have tried it on have existing OS albeit resets. The one it is working on is i think actually a relatively fresh install unlike the others which are resets or my main drive which is an existing os well over a year old. Would be nice if it is as simple as that, still an odd issue.

I build and sell pcs, go through 100Â’s of cards a year and have to deal with lots of issues and faulty cards, but never experienced this one before.

So sort of update for anyone interested, have managed to get it working on a previous install of windows (so does not need a fresh install) after ddu and removing everything nvidia related on drive and in registry installed driver and the display would disappear every 10-20 seconds for 5 seconds, usually with a solid colour then turning to black, but would return again, this stopped and maintained constant display after changing to max power in power settings. Might just be the card only works ok with max power preferred once windows is booted (driver running) fully.

On a side note, picked up another 2070super that was reported to be faulty, tried it on intel mobo (h310) sure enough no display, swapped it into amd rig worked perfectly tried in another amd rig same result perfect, retried intel rig no display not even bios.

Back