• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI x79 XPower II Big Bang

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThorV2

Doing some research I came across this board and it seems like a great board My question is is this a good board overclocking wise and benching wise.

Doing some research I came across this board and it seems like a great board My question is is this a good board overclocking wise and benching wise.

It is an OC-friendly board. I'm not inclined to believe it is a highly apt benching board, but I'm rather inexperienced with it-- just never seen this board on any high-ranked benching results.

I've heard this board has a high failure rate and some mosfet issues. Shrug.

Every board has its share of issues, quirks, etc, You just have to find the board with the easiest issues to handle, fix, or compensate for...

Read reviews on every mobo you're even considering.

Every board has its share of issues, quirks, etc, You just have to find the board with the easiest issues to handle, fix, or compensate for...

Read reviews on every mobo you're even considering.

This is very, very true! I like to make observations on what I've heard / seen, but in the end it is up to you! Perks, issues, features, quirks, etc...

To each their own, right? I'm quite happy with my sabertooth I bought at a discount, even though people state its a terrible board, quirky, etc.

My advice to you. DON'T buy MSI products, their RMA support is garbage. That alone put me off of ever buying from them again.

This is very, very true! I like to make observations on what I've heard / seen, but in the end it is up to you! Perks, issues, features, quirks, etc...

To each their own, right? I'm quite happy with my sabertooth I bought at a discount, even though people state its a terrible board, quirky, etc.

Firsthand experience, lol, SR-2's have garbagey SATA III controllers which limit SSDs to 400mb/s max read/write, it doesn't like PCI-E based SSDs and has an issue with PCI-E Link State Power Management causing event logger spam and random restarts, and its memory controller leads to higher (worse) memory latency, around 60.0 ms for me with my 1333mhz RAM. None of these things affect it's real-world performance, however.

Read individual website's reviews on motherboards, not the metric crapton of poorly written possibly misinformed possibly wrong reviews on NewEgg or Amazon.

It is perfectly likely that your choice of motherboard will get horrible reviews and will work fine for you.

It is just the same in that your extremely well reviewed motherboard will have its fair share of issues and may even be DOA or have to be RMA'ed for something.

I've seen many a problem with the nearly ubiquitous AsRock Extreme 4's and 6's, but other people swear by them.

My advice to you. DON'T buy MSI products, their RMA support is garbage. That alone put me off of ever buying from them again.

I heard ASUS's RMA is terrible too... however if we all go by what one person says or rumors... no company would have reputable products...

Last edited:
I really do want to like that board and im sure its fine. I think taking the risk for MSI support is up in the air but all companys have bad service in this time of age, there all under paid people who dont care. But i would get it if I had the chance

Okay tje reson why I ask is because some review sites gave it a good review some did not. But what about 80% of the bad things were cosmetic I personally love the looks but if say an RIVF is better than Id get that and really I believe EVGA and OCZ has best Customer Service. I received a DOA dvd burner from Asys and I was talked down to. But I called again and the person was awesome. It all depends who answers the phone. Gigabyte is great to.

Have a friend that buyed one, he ran a 3930k + 64gb 2133mhz RAM + 2 670's + a 650ti physx + a revodrive on it and had ALOT off PCIe crashing issue. He also had alot of issue acheiving it's 2133mhz with 64gb installed. He swapped to an Asus RIVE and all is fine now....

Just my input on that board.

I'm still maintaining a board I've never seen in any ranked benches shouldn't be used as a benching board :(

Edit: "Shouldn't" That was just the most substantial typo ever :(

Last edited:
On the front page, Brolloks reviewed this board and loved it, last I recall.

Not sure what Darren is going on about MSI's RMA being terrible. Last I checked he got his board back within two weeks and it was fine? Perhaps I missed something though as I have been away for a week... :shrug:

I had no ability to track what was actually going on with my board. I also was not given any tracking information. It took them 3 days just to even acknowledge they got the board when they actually got the board the day after i shipped it. AND It just overall frustrated me that i payed 200+ dollars for a board that falls. I know i have high expectations though. So take my opinions with a grain of sand...

I've heard that the biggest problem with the BB x79 is that the heatsinks can cause arcing of the mosfets/VRMs. I've also heard that it can be fixed somehow, don't remember how though.

I've heard that the biggest problem with the BB x79 is that the heatsinks can cause arcing of the mosfets/VRMs. I've also heard that it can be fixed somehow, don't remember how though.
Never heard of that one... Got any links so we can read about it?

Great board, (review here) no issues with it, overclocked like a beast...and as far as MSI's RMA process, I have personally RMA'd a lot of hw in my days, ask around ;), and never had any issues

Well guys have bad freaking news... I have to go amd becaise of mkney right now... have to waot until december to go X79.... atleast until then my 965BE and UD5 990FX and 2 7950s will get me 117 fps hopefully for my 144hz monitor...

You have a great setup, I would not jump to X79, it throws out a lot of heat, rather jump on Haswell or wait for IB-E if you want 6 cores, coming out Q3-13

Back