• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepie

Registered
Hello,

I've bought a new mobo, MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang and CPU (i5 2500)
After installing the hardware I installed windows 7 64bit, installed all the drivers ect.
I played some battlefield and I hear a buzz in my headphones and in my microphone when I play battlefield or any other games like GTA IV.
It's really annoying, I tried reinstalling all the drivers.. flashed the newest bios version but nothing seems to work.
I had my CPU overclocked with the standard intel turbo to 3,8GHz.
Also I had overclocked my GPU.. so I clocked them to the basic settings, but still the buzz remains when I'm playing games.
It's not the mobo thats causing the problem because I also tried running it on a Z77A-GD65 mobo.

I hope some people have the knowledge to help me here.. I couldn't find any solution so far.
I tried putting off Intel C-state, also that didn't work.

PSU: Cooltek 650W
CPU: i5 2500
GPU: XFX HD6870 Dual Fan
Mobo: MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang
RAM: KingSton 2x 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Latency 9

No, it's not a headset. I have an apart headphone and microphone, and they both have the buzz.
I tried testing if the buzz would appear when I was stresstesting, but there was no buzz when I was stressing the cpu + ram + gpu.
So it's only when I'm playing games, really weird.

EDIT:
So to make it clear, I'm 90% sure it's not the hardware thats installed.
I've been using my PSU, RAM and GPU in the AMD system I used to have.. the only this new is my mobo and CPU.
As I said I already tried another mobo but the buzz didn't go away, the only thing I didn't test is another CPU.

Last edited:
So if its not the mobo, why is that in the title or in the mobo section? LOL!

Anyway, perhaps that likely POS PSU, Cooltek is doing it? A bad ground? It would make sense you dont hear it while stress testing... since most dont use sound.....

I didn't know where to make the topic, if you know where it will fit.. feel free to move it. :p
I have no other PSU to try.. my brother has the same one as me, so I don't know if that will make any change.
EDIT:
It seems that I also hear a little buzz when I'm refreshing a web page or watching a youtube video.

I cant move it... not a mod ;). I would have put it in the sound section knowing it wasnt the mobo as you do though. :)

Anyway, have you tried switching rooms with the PC to see if if its the ground on the outlet?

I did try moving it to another room and I tried another PSU.
I guess almost tried everything. The only thing I haven't tried is another CPU.
Is it possible that the Z77 chipset is causing the problem? Both mobo's I tried had a Z77 chipset.
The CPU is working fine, so I think that can't be the problem either.

Yes, I tried a Z77A-GD65 mobo.
But still the buzz remains.

Same a trying another gpu, psu, ram and putting the pc in another room.

This is almost always a grounding issue. Have you tried another headset? Microphone? Also, check your sound software just for grins, although somehow you maybe be getting some "cross talk" in your software when it is processing the signals.

Also, are your headset and microphone plugged into the rear I/O ports or are you using USB units?

Back