• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

multimeter question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I just got a multimeter to check psu rails and for fan speeds. It says it can take a max of 400mA. My psu gives out 33A on the 12v rail.... Does that mean I can't use it?

No.
You can use it.
The 440mA is for current measurments. To measure voltage set the multimeter to the right setting, and just plug the test leads into the molex connector (for the 5v and 12v rails).

Its actually up to 10A, but there are two places to connect the probe. One is 440mA with some sort of overload protection I guess, and the other is unfused 10A. I got it from radio shack.

I believe those amperages would be limits for measuring amperage. when measuring voltage on a multimeter, there is no current limit, as the probes are in paralell with the circut. and will not draw more current than can be handled. But when measuring amperage, the probes will be in series with the circut, and need to be able to handle the whole load of the circut. which should not exceed the ratings which you are curious about.

d]g[ts said:
I believe those amperages would be limits for measuring amperage. when measuring voltage on a multimeter, there is no current limit, as the probes are in paralell with the circut. and will not draw more current than can be handled. But when measuring amperage, the probes will be in series with the circut, and need to be able to handle the whole load of the circut. which should not exceed the ratings which you are curious about.

You are correct. Regardless of the amperage draw across the line, so long as you are measuring voltage it will work just fine. I was very curious about that low amperage capacity. It makes sense now so NM.

Speakin off this, I just built my first analog multimeter. Any one care to tell me what not to do if I want to keep everything intact?

what is a good multimeter brand to buy....any multimeter at radio shack will suffice or should I be looking for something in particular?

Any will do just fine if you are just using it occasionally. If you want very high accuracy, you can get a Fluke, but they are expensive.
I have one made by GB that I got for around 25 from a hardware store that includes a temp probe and some other extras. The Radio Shack ones should be fine for just checking psu rails and the like.

I will never give up my Fluke. But unless you use it daily and for 3 or 4 digit, ie 12.62 is needed not 12.5, most cheapy work fine.

yet some standard fatherly advise
It is a tool and you get would you paid for, sonny boy.

Back