• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

multipliers, tbred, 8k5a2+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlexG

Registered
Got an 8k5a2+ (latest BIOS), 2400+(aiucb), 512 Crucial 2700. System fine, OC's to 2350 mhz using FSB only but can't get any multipliers to work. I can see and select any multi up to 15 in BIOS but if I take it off Auto and select ANY multiplier 12, 13, even the stock 15, system will not POST. After failing to POST I must wait about a half-hour to try again even AFTER CMOS clear or battery removal. (Selecting the Watchdog feature at least gets me an immediate restart.)

Can anyone tell me first do I have to short a bridge or does this board automatically give me access to lower multies? I understand the tbreds (B) are factory unlocked, is this correct? If so what is happening? Thank you.

I have the same board. But I have a Pally, I had to unlock it. From what I hear the T-Bred 2400 comes unlocked. Have you tried to go down with the multiplier? You might try uping the voltage. I run at 1.9+v most of the time. :):)

for your information

I am a asus board user, but from what ive read its not the chip that is unlocked rather an agreement between board manufactures and AMD to connect thru socket pins

Because of the 1/5 divider on my 5a2, I found locking at 13.5 ,gave me a good range for my FSB. My 2100 t-bred and the pc2700ddr mem will top out together at 2565mhz ([email protected]).

Blow the 1st L3 with sewing needles attatched to a 9v battery.
You MUST do the defoger trick on the second L11, or your system won't boot at the default 1.60v. This will change your default to 1.8v and let you increase it in the Bios along with your FSB.

For daily game use I run at 181x13.5 @1.90v w/Volcano7+ with idle temps around 36c and loaded 41c

Use the Interactive AMD T-Bred paint guide from ocinside.de( the english link ulr is somwhere in this forum or you can go the site and navigate to it)

I probably could have set the volts to 1.75, but it was a" one step" to paint it to 1.8 . Besides I set my vcore between 1.80-2.10 in the bios depending on how much is needed for a certain FSB setting.

Using the sewing needles wired to a 9v battery to pop a bridge is the easiest and safest to to do it ! The thought of taking a Dremel to my chip scares the HELL out of me! Don't worry about which is + or -, just touch the dots and you will see what looks like a small fuse arc.

Last edited:
I have been using a CRAYON to fill the gaps before painting over any bridges with the degogger paint. It WILL NOT MELT !! I have done this on 6 XP1600 chips and 2 XP2100's.

Had em' all with an unlocked XP1600 on this board but if you use anything but AUTO for the multi setting with the 2100 Tbred you will post with a XP1500 reading and your FSB will set itself to 100. The wire trick will unlock the lowers, but the highers are whats needed as most people are reaching the overclock limits of the 1/5 divider and memory at the 13 multi. If I tried to run at say 2500mhz, which this chip has proven it can do, with a 12x multi, my Fsb would have to be at 208x12=2496mhz. I don't have memory good enough to do that and the Pci and Agp with the1/5 divider would really tax the other components. 13.5x186 =2511mhz is a good compromise for me. I may try 14x179=2506MHZ.
I'm trying to find that fine line of speed and stability.

Back