• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin 2GB XP4000 Black Series – Test Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I disagree. There is a chance that these modules are cherry picked. The only way this can be a fair test if Mushkin gave you a coupon to buy at a local store.

I love Mushkin and have been a customer since BH-5 and now TCC5. This time I went with GSkill UCCC PC4000 to see how well they do. I was tormented between Mushkin, OCZ and GSkill, and my decision was based on trying a different manufacturer and gain experience on them.

I really like your benchies, but can you possibly test these Mushkins on a X2 dual core? Different CPU cores and its memory controller react differently with certain ram.

Thanks for the results and again thank you Mushkin for making some excellent PC4000 sticks!!! :p

Zebbo said:
The modules was sent to him by manufacturer (us).

As far as I know we don't get anything cherry until we ask so and I think this is just a sudden pick out of the XP4000 kits like all of us get. Day before Eldonko got his kit I got UCCC kit too which do 270MHz for 24/7 which is pretty much average. One 2GB RL XP4000 kit I got did only 251MHz 3D stable so I assume I will not get cherry stuff (if I don't ask for one).

I am personally against all the cherry-picking, but sometimes cherry-picked samples are good to show that there is a chance to get kit that will do very good numbers.

well i just thought id throw it out there. i know g.skill is notorious for this among others. in all honesty his results dont look like theyre head and shoulders above others ive read from kits gaied through the retail channels just thought id ask since i had some troubles with my kit over 270 without going 3-4-4-8 (course i only used one kit im going to buy another kit of this in the next week or two and will post the results here)

ouch on the redlines btw woulda thought they would do better than that even on the lower clocking ones...

hawtrawkr said:
well i just thought id throw it out there. i know g.skill is notorious for this among others. in all honesty his results dont look like theyre head and shoulders above others ive read from kits gaied through the retail channels just thought id ask since i had some troubles with my kit over 270 without going 3-4-4-8 (course i only used one kit im going to buy another kit of this in the next week or two and will post the results here)

ouch on the redlines btw woulda thought they would do better than that even on the lower clocking ones...

You have good point here, results certainly are not average. Let's assume his kit would do say ~266MHz, no one I bet would say that would be cherry. Just why I highly doubt this would be cherry is the reason I know how busy our binner is and I don't think he has time to test say ~20 kits to find out which one can do 280MHz and then send it out just for our newest tech guy.

We have a lot new stuff coming out in a near future and that's one of the reasons why I doubt he even has interest to bin everything above what the retails are. But I don't deny it, if I wouldn't be tech rep, I would doubt it to be cherry, but that's just how we are, if it does zomfg MHz then its gotta be cherry :rolleyes:

I would definitely like to see some more general "retail purchased" review threads on this memory. I am really considering picking it up. Almost a DDR600 overclock at a $165 price with MIR is the best buy I have seen in a while.

Thanks again guys.
Dom

The mem was sent to me by Mushkin. AFAIK it is not cherry picked, its just newer UCCC which has been clocking a little better in general. Like Zebbo said, Mushkin doesn’t make a point of sending out cherry mem and if this was cherry, I would have been told. I understand and agree with your concerns here, what is the point of providing SS of clocks that no one will achieve in 100 years lol. My tests above may be a little bit above average, but 280Mhz is definitely attainable by a regular ol retail set of this mem, with a little tweeking and a little luck.

For what you can expect from XP4000… I was told that an average set of UCCC does 265-272Mhz. BUT - Even if you got a set that did 265Mhz is that not worth $200 regardless? :)

OnDborder said:
How did they do on your Opty 165?
Unfortunately I sold my 165 about a week ago. I hated to sell it (it still holds the 165 WR), but I really needed the cash and had to. =/ I buy and sell a lot of RAM and CPUs like many of you guys though so when I get a new dual core I will rerun all the benches again and post em here. :)

EDIT: Prime results updated, almost 23 hours. That's enough priming for today heh. ;)

Last edited:
FYI - I just got confirmation from Mushkin that the sticks I was sent were picked randomly out of stock and were not hand picked. The mem was tested to 255 in dual channel before sending to me and that's it.

eldonko i'll buy that kit from you if you ever sell it. its at fry's for $159.99 after rebate but ... they don't accept paypal and i don't have a cc. they only have it online, not at their brick and mortar stores

dibs if you sell it :)

God, these things are sooooooo tempting.

*edit* If I do buy these things, will I have any problem with my mobo? (A8N-SLI Premium)

I Have some of these and having a lot of problems with them. My motherboard is a DFI NF4 UT LP SLI-D bios 3-10. Really, really bad. When I did get it to post I had to use divider 9/10 and played with the voltage. Oh , my cpu is an Opteron 148 with a good stepping and date. I also had to keep reseting the bios / board would not repost, locks, etc. ????

I can get my OCZ 2x512 gold pc3500 upto 2500 227x11 so far without any trouble.

bernardmem said:
I Have some of these and having a lot of problems with them. My motherboard is a DFI NF4 UT LP SLI-D bios 3-10. Really, really bad. When I did get it to post I had to use divider 9/10 and played with the voltage. Oh , my cpu is an Opteron 148 with a good stepping and date. I also had to keep reseting the bios / board would not repost, locks, etc. ????

I can get my OCZ 2x512 gold pc3500 upto 2500 227x11 so far without any trouble.
Try a newer BIOS, that one is a year old now - 0618 and later. Also if you post your settings I can probably help you sort it out.

I didn't think about that. Duh? Really weird through. It worked at default (200) for awhile???. Not a voltage thing . I necer went over 2.70. I know better than that for posting/booting problems. Good for stability problems.

I was able to do a quick sale of these on ebay. I will be getting some OCZs. I have had so much luck with my current pc3500 and others before.

El Donko thanks for providing us with the information in this thread. I will soon be getting my hands on two new 2Gig dual channel sets:

These Mushkin DDR500's
and the Team Group Micron DDR500's

I am pretty psyched to see how both pairs perform.

Thanks again for your information and everyone who provided testing results.

Dom

Back