• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin pc3500 or OCZ pc3500?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mrgreenjeans: so your OCZ runs at 220 1:1 @ 2.75vdimm with 2-2-2-5 timings? and now at 225 with 2.85vdimm and same timings with 1:1 ratio? if so, do you think that would be possible with 5:4 ratio?

A 4:5 ratio would allow a greater CPU clock while not overtaxing the memory timings. I've got it running now at 1:1, 230 mutilplier , 2-2-3-6, vdimm maxed at 2.85. I haven't ran prime95 past around 800 calculations, but seems somewhat stable.
So if you use the 225 as a base (last tested stable setting) and set to a 4:5 memory timing in bios, theorectically you should be able to set the fsb multiplier up to 281.

EDIT: Wasn't stable at the 230 timings. I set ratio to 5:4 and pushed the CPU back to ti's maximum. Settings are now: multiplier @ 236, timings @ 2-2-3-6, vdimm 2.75. Prime 95's running on that rig now. Hopefully with the ratio induced speed I'll be able to tighten the timings up a bit.

Last edited:
it looks like i'm gona go with a gig (2x512) of this mushkin level 2 black pc3500. i'm now also considering a 2.4 with M0. here is what i could do:
  • P4 2.4 M0, 1:1 w/ mushkin level 2 black, fsb=225, timings=2-2-2-5 (at best), processor runs at 2.7ghz
  • P4 2.4 M0, 5:4 w/ mushkin level 2 black, fsb=281 max, timings=2-2-2-5 (at best), processor runs at 3.372ghz at highest fsb
  • P4 2.8 M0, 1:1 w/ mushkin level 2 black, fsb=225, timings=2-2-2-5 (at best), processor runs at 3.15ghz at highest fsb
  • P4 2.8 M0, 5:4 w/ mushkin level 2 black, fsb=281 max, timings= 2-2-2-5 (at best), processor runs at 3.934ghz at highest fsb (very unlikely on air)

so these are my possibilities, i wonder which might run the best w/ best performance for gaming? at www.anandtech.com, they have a great review on this and other memory compared against each other, and say it does a max of 229 with 2.5-2-3-7 timings. this would increase the speeds slightly, but i dont know if its worth it with those slightly relaxed timings...at ddr433 it says it runs 2-2-3-6 timings and at ddr400 it runs 2-2-2-5.

Last edited:
P4 2.4 M0, 5:4 w/ mushkin level 2 black, fsb=281 max, timings=2-2-2-5 (at best), processor runs at 3.372ghz at highest fsb

That has the best potential/cost. With a VDIMM mod to your motherboard it's possible to raise the FSB closer to 300MHz and keep a 5:4 ratio. ~3.5GHz w/ a M0 is certainly attainable, though DDR466 @ 2-2-2 tmings doesn't always come with BH-5 memory with 3V+.

wow that sounds really good! :drool: hehe. anyway, there is no pc3700 with BH-5 anymore. are you saying with a VDIMM mod i could push the mushkin to higher clock speeds? how would you do a VDIMM mod and is it dangerous? i think i might go with a 2.4 M0, its sounding really good! i really want this new system, my current system plays MoH:AA horribly :mad:

There's always a volt-mod to be found somewhere :D But if your worried about doing a VDIMM mod, then usually it's not something you ought to do, though you can always research it.

XtremeSystems.org Forums have some forums dedicated to Volt Mods, you would first want to check there. BH-5 memory usually responds well with extra voltage, therefore 233MHz is not out of the question, though not everyone gets there with even 3.2V. Performance varies with motherboard to motherboard. But the potential is there.

The max is limited by your 3.3V line. If your 3.3V puts out ~3.25V then that's the max you can give. Of course, as you raise memory voltage, the memory's lifespan decreases exponentially. Though it should last long enough to warrent the need for some sort of replacement with 3.2V. There's also the risk in physically modding your motherboard.

Back