• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MXM 3.0 Card for Laptop [Asus G50VT-X5]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdomasChu

Hello all!!

My first post! I have the laptop in the title. Recently my desktop crapped out (dead mobo 3:) and I was left over with this laptop and an old Dual Irwindale Xeon box. The xeon has an R7 370, the laptop does not. This laptop has a 9800M GS in it and while it is indeed a great card for games from 2013 and back, I have to overclock the poop out of it to get 45 FPS stable in a game as simple as CSGO and to be honest the laptop runs OSX and Linux better than it does Windows 8.1 (what I am using at the moment). Its difficult enough to OC in linux but dang near impossible to OC in OSX.

As the port for the GPU is MXM 3.0 (I think) is there any possibility that I could get a different card? A GTX 260 perhaps? The laptop mobo itself supports upgrades all the way up to a T9800 (2.8 GHZ Core 2 Duo) and I have a P8600 in it now (coming off of a T series chip). As it supports upgrades, tha tells me that Asus used this motherboard for a few years at least, or until the early Core i series was the standard. It makes me wonder if I can get a 260 and flash another laptop's BIOS to this one?

If anyone knows if this can be done, please let me know!!! Thank you!

What GPU's were options for that laptop from the factory? Those are the ones your BIOS will support.

What GPU's were options for that laptop from the factory? Those are the ones your BIOS will support.

Only the 9800M GS, but again, I have a feeling that they used the same mobo multiple times for multiple models.

If they used the same mobo it wouldn't be changing CPU generations.

wikipedia said:
Asus utilizes non standard MXM modules in most of their laptops, with a reversed pin on configuration on most MXM 2.1 models (since MXM 3.0 they are no longer reversed) and nonstandard PCB shape and mounting.

Looks like you'll have a heck of time finding what you need. Whatever you purchase, it will have to be an Asus part, and you'll have to double check to see if the standards, the cooling, and mounting matches up. Not to mention if your BIOS supports whatever GPU you use.

GL,
-TC

It's possible the configs only allowed for a 9800M GS with your other chosen options. Or that they used the same mainboard in another laptop of the same generation.

Looks like you'll have a heck of time finding what you need. Whatever you purchase, it will have to be an Asus part, and you'll have to double check to see if the standards, the cooling, and mounting matches up. Not to mention if your BIOS supports whatever GPU you use.

GL,
-TC

I will keep that in mind

Back