• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 1st Overclock!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CarbolicSmokeBa

Registered
Hi all,
as you can probably tell from my post count I have just joined.

I've been blessed with a Cleron 2.7, and a 845GVSR mobo with 512md of 2700 DDR! how lucky am I! :)

Been looking for a way to tweak my PC when I came across this forum!

As my MOBO doesnt have a configurable BIOS settings, I've DLed CPUCOOL, had a play with that and been able to OC my 2.7 to 3100mhz ish, according to WCPUID. The chip is runing at between 38-46c. Havnt been any further, altough I'm sure she can proabably take it.

NEwOC.jpg

The PC seems to be running fine without any problems.

Whats every1s opinions of the OC? Does it look heatlhy?

My system passmark rating have rocketed since the OC.

I've also OC my FX5200 graphics card with the nvidia OC software!

Amazing what you can do with some softare.

Just want to say thanks for all the advice, and what a great forum!

:welcome: to the forums bro :)
glad to see you've started pushing that celly!
i wouldnt be surprised if it hit 3.5ghz or so on what cooling you have now.
btw id recommend posting your system in your sig!
GL
-d94

Not bad for northwood celeron. Try to push it further, but I recommend running prime95 as a stability test, just to be sure that its stable.

@ d94, Ill sort it now.

@ Hamm3r, great Ill try it.

Meant to add a pic of WCPUID, so here it is!

NEwOC23.jpg

Any advice?

can u tell me what motherboard u choose at settings?
i don't see 845GVSR there..
thanks

Hi CarbolicSmokeBa, :welcome: to OC Forums!

Congrats on your 1st OC! It's a rush isn't it? hehe

There are many programs you can use to tst your system, to be sure everything is stable. Stability is paramount when OC'ing unless you are only using the machine for benchmarking, but most people use the machine to game, and for actual work, so you want to be certain things are stable or bad things can happen.

MemTest86 is a program used to test memory for errors. When OC'ing, the memory can error causing freezes, BSOD's and reboots, and other nasty stuff. MemTest is a program designed to be run from a bootable floppy. All you do is download the program, copy it to a "bootable floppy", install the floppy, and reboot...the program will then run on bootup.

Prime95 is a program designed to test memory and CPU stability. It is THE OC'ers program of choice for testing for stability. You want to download and run the program and select "torture test". A system is considered "rock solid stable" after 24 hours of continuous Priming.

PCMark 04, 3DMark 01, 03, and 05 are benchmarking programs that also help to test the full system (PCMark04) for stability, and the video card as well as the CPU somewhat (3DMark) for stability.

I recommend having them all DL'd to your system. You can make a folder for your desktop called "Benchmarking Programs" and put them all in there to keep the desktop neat.

Testing a system for stability is very important, and all of these programs are very valuable. I highly recommend them, and use them myself. It's also fun, and this is what OC'ing is all about! :)

Back