• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 2600k doesn't have turbo boost technology??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TooOld4This

Registered
Hi.

I had some great luck last week at work where I was given the opportunity to take a PC base unit away before it was "thrown in the bin". I wasn't overly excited, but I was pretty chuffed when I opened it up to find it had a GTX 560 2gb graphics card in it and a i7 2600k processor. I haven't had a PC in a while, so for me, this was a real bonus! :attn:

As I've been out of the PC community for quite a few years, I have been doing lot's of reading to get up to speed. I'm still slacking way behind, but trying at least. I was soon disappointed to find out that my motherboard was Intel's H67 version and no OC could be done. Bummer! :rain:

I ran PassMark's CPU benchmark test a few times, and my results always came back as slightly underachieving. The processor fell into the category of the 2600 without the 'k' every time. It's definitely an i7 2600k. Really it is. I think. :chair:

Interestingly, the BIOS has all the relevant options for turning on Intel's Turbo Boost Technology, and it shows the speed going from 3.4ghz to 3.8ghz. In the BIOS... So with Intel's Speed Step Technology enabled (has to be on or the Turbo Boost gets turned off - according to the BIOS...) I look to see if it's really working. After trying out a few programs designed to show Turbo in action, everything comes back negative. Hmmm. :sly: I then stumble across Intel's own program called Intel Boost Technology Monitor. Upon trying to install this program, it errors, saying that my processor doesn't support Intel Boost Techonology... Seriously? :screwy:

Any ideas what's going on here? Shall I just forget it and buy a real motherboard? Appreciate any advice!

Turbo boost is across the cores progressively if it's not unlocked or if it's not an extreme edition.
so on a burn test or benchmark where it's going to 100% all the cores you're not going to have any turbo boost.
If you had 100% on one core, and 0% on the others that's where you'd see the turbo boost to 3.8

3.4 on 4 cores
3.55 on 3 cores
3.72 on 2 cores
3.8 on 1 core

something like that^^ those aren't the exact numbers, i'm not sure what those are, but that's how it works.

you can also download this:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19105

to monitor it

Last edited:
Understood, thank you. But that is the reason I used specific programs to determine if Turbo Boost was working. I wasn't trying to load up the CPU and check...

All programs thus far show that it's not turned on. Don't you find it odd that Intel's own monitor says that my CPU doesn't support Turbo Boost?

Understood, thank you. But that is the reason I used specific programs to determine if Turbo Boost was working. I wasn't trying to load up the CPU and check...

All programs thus far show that it's not turned on. Don't you find it odd that Intel's own monitor says that my CPU doesn't support Turbo Boost?

Ohhh... okay. hmm... yeah that is odd. Have you tried updating the chipset drivers? that's a shot in the dark, but who knows.

Sure, I have CPU-Z. Screenshot of the first tab? I'll do it tonight when I'm home. It's only 10:30am here in Dubai.

Details from CPU-Z. I'm not running any load, this is just for info.

1ze9ys8.png.jpg

I have updated to the latest chipset drivers. Annoyingly, I wasn't able to update the BIOS. It keeps failing with no error message.

you're on an H67 based motherboard, your options for overclocking will be limited.

Yeah I know. Trying to figure out why I can't enable Turbo Boost and Intel's own monitor program says that the processor doesn't support Turbo Boost.

Perhaps that is one of the shortcoming of the P67 chipset and that board? No idea.

Your CPU has Turbo.

@ Candycancer - Boost are round numbers as it is the multiplier that changes, not bclk. So 4 cores will boost to 3.5, 3 to 3.6, 2 to 3.7, and 1 to 3.8.

Perhaps that is one of the shortcoming of the P67 chipset and that board? No idea.
Its actually H67 board.

@op
My guess its the H67 mobo thats holding you back dude. Your CPU supports it but your board is worthless. Quit stressing out about this issue and just enjoy your free 2600K till you can get a nicer motherboard.

Which OS are you running? And the pic. you posted of CPU-Z wasn't taken while the CPU was under 100% load like wingman asked. When you tried flashing the BIOS, did you use the Iflash (DOS) or Express (Windows) method to update? And when you say the flash fails, what happens exactly? I'm also assuming the version you tried flashing was 0160 (BLH6710H.86A)?

Hey guys, thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it. :grouphug:

I managed to get the BIOS flashed with a BIO file in the end. I moved from version 146 to 160. The Turbo Boost is now working! And not just that, I ran another CPU performance test and it's now recording slightly over the normal mark for my processor! Win. :attn:

But yeah, no doubt about the board sucking. :shock:

Back