• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 830 Results!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bapski I don't know what is going on with your pc probe but its wack. Your MB temp is higher then your CPU temp. And what is the Power Temp you have there? I don't even have an option for Power temp. I see you have mbm5 down by the clock. Your screenshots look like your computer is idol yet mbm5 says your temp is 58c. Your Vcore looks like it is set to high.

With the stock heatsink and fan you should probably back it down to 240fsb and set your vcore to 1.225 like Surfrat did. Give it a try and see how your temps look.

thanks for the reply..

good thing i decided to turn the pc off then. i just thought something wasnt right.

tried to lower down the vcore setting but think 1.5 is the lowest i can see.

just woke up. will try to see if i can change the setting/s you suggested before i go to work.

thanks. will post result later.

found the 1.275v setting

i did see the lower vcore setting and i have the it down at 41 with just this window running.

yup surf.. im wondering about the readings too. should the mbm5 and probe readings be the same or somewhat within range?

how does this things get their readings? coz i thought maybe because i just plugged the FANS wherever i can see i can plug them. should they be plugged in specific places?

i have 2 fans plugged on the motherboard. the rear one i plugged i think on the chan_fan1 and the front one i plugged on the cha_fan2 is that correct?

anyways got to go to work... will see yah guys later..

and oh im still using my stock hsf. what do you guys think of a xp-90c with a tt ufo#2 as a fan?

thanks again guys.

First off his main bpard is warmer because thats the temp of the VRM I beleive..And that will run hot as you can imagine when you push these dual cores..

I am still not impressed with the Dual core Intel..From the tests you have run and scores reported back it is about on par with a dual xeon.Which is not bad but to me Intel screwed up again with this offering....Although for the money I will agree it is nice I just would have liked to seen something new and unique with new unique perfromance..

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm04=3001228

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm05=15348

Those are My dual Xeon scores..Total cost 500.00 Ram,Cpu, Mainboard.

We may just be seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Remember, dual Xeons have been around a long time, but dual core processors are brand new. So look for major improvements as they work out the bugs. I bet when they release the new steppings, the 8XX series will really start looking good. That's when I'm going to jump into the fray.

batboy said:
We may just be seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Remember, dual Xeons have been around a long time, but dual core processors are brand new. So look for major improvements as they work out the bugs. I bet when they release the new steppings, the 8XX series will really start looking good. That's when I'm going to jump into the fray.

Dont count on it..So far the only thing that has changed is moving 2 cores to 1 die..As far as system operation it still works like my dual xeon..

They need totally new cores..And a beter managment system that eliminates using the north bridge as a path for the cores to communicate..

If Intel does that I would then suggest there on top again..but if all the do is offer faster clock speeds I would not be impressed . .

Not to thread jack..So Ill step back..nice rig and decient scores in the benchies :) :) :)

You make a good point, but that sounds more like a need for better chipset architecture as well as new cores (in your opinion). I know what you mean though, Intel seems to just be making baby steps instead of large leaps. This is probably being done for two reasons: 1) they want us to keep gradually upgrading for more profits and 2) they have to release new and improved products to compete with AMD. The can't just take their time and develop new platforms or they will lose market share in the meantime.

Surfrat said:
Someone asked about SuperPI. I don't know anything about this benchmark, but here are some scores from it. I did through the 2mb test.

superpi.JPG

Most people use the 1meg test. You got 34s, which is darn fast. Fastest I have ever seen was ~27sec.

I am in no way claiming that this is great. I am just pretty happy with my price vs performance ratio. Sent says that these new Asus boards are posting temps about 10c higher then what the temps really are. I have no way to confirm this, and I am very happy with how stable my rig is running now, so I am not gonna push any further on air.

The fact I was able to drop vcore to 1.275 and still get a 600mhz overclock, is testimate to how well these run. With water cooling, these things are guaranteed to hit 4ghz, and have two cores at 4ghz is pretty darn nice considering the $300 price.

Intel still has a lot of room to improve obviously, but I think they did a good thing with bringing these to market at a competitive price.

Hyperasus is getting a nice stable 4.1ghz overclock with his memory running at 1000mhz and the same timings I am using. When I get a water, I will push further, but for now I am very happy with the speed and how stable this beast is.

I use Pennacle to make home movies and I can tell ya that my encoding time has been cut in half. This was obviously the biggest improvement I noticed, and was well worth the price of admission. I have two small children, so I always am burning new home movies! :)

Bapski, I suggest you drop your vcore to about 1.275. Remember I locked my multiplier to 14! You will need Bios 0509 for that if you don't have it. Look in the Asus Mobo section of these forums, I posted it on one of the threads about the P5WD2. After that you can try and set your FSb to 250. You should be fine at that speed even with the stock cooler.

The XP90C is a great Heatsink. You will need that or the XP120 to cool these babies if you are sticking with air. Make sure you pair them with a good highflow fan. I chose the Panaflow 118cfm.

I have no experience with your ram, so i don't know what to tell ya on that stuff. Trial and error or maybe someone else will know an optimal mhz to run it at.

Let me know if I can be any further help.

Sent says that these new Asus boards are posting temps about 10c higher then what the temps really are.
I don't know if it's actual temps or just readings, but my P5WD2 definitely reads 10C hotter than my P5AD2-E did on the same exact hardware/cooling. Maybe the P5AD2-E was 10C low instead? In either case the P5WD2 is an awesome board!

Ross said:
I don't know if it's actual temps or just readings, but my P5WD2 definitely reads 10C hotter than my P5AD2-E did on the same exact hardware/cooling. Maybe the P5AD2-E was 10C low instead? In either case the P5WD2 is an awesome board!
Exaclty, perhaps Asus has gone to reading the on die instead of insocket... do temps jump quickly from idle to load?

I get about a 2-3C jump immediately when starting a Sandra bench and then they creep up from there (when the prog has time to update during a bench). I am not really sure how long it takes or what constitutes a "quick jump", but it doesn't go from idle to full load temps in one shot :)

I can say that it peaks closer to the middle of the bench and stays relatively flat after than on a Sandra bench where as before it would hit the hottest temp at the end of the bench if that helps your assessment :)

hello again guys..

just went to work how amazed i was on how OC can up the speeds of these cpu's!

was surprised to see i was at 3.72! but was more surprised to see others with the same specs as mine at 4.2! now that's where i want to be. can you guys help me out? hey surf! i might take you up on that help you are extending. am ok with msn.

guys, with me going for 4.2, will aircooling be enough or do i have to move to water cooling? am new at this and im not that comfortable with the thought that water might spill on the board! :eh?:

thanks again guys and hopefully i can maximize this rig and totally be happy.

and oh btw. how come i cant run Ai booster? it always says i have to enable ai nos on the bios setup which i have done but i still get the same error. anyone of you guys encountered this?

oh surf, yes i have the current bios version and i was able to lower the vcore setting same as yours. any more setting i should change to go towards 4.2 :p

thanks again.

Yea, you will need water cooling if you want to hit 4.2 stable. Anything much over 3.7 and you gotta start ratchiting up the vcore, which in turn cranks up the heat.

What are all your stats now? FSB, Multi, vcore, vdimm, ram frequency, pci-e frequency, and temps!

Don't know anything about the AI booster, so not sure on that one.

Run PCmark04. If it completes and gives you a score, then you are pretty much stable.

Yeah you wont hit 4.2 without water. If that's the speed you are after then plan on spending $150-$200 on watercooling. Worth every penny if you ask me.

something might have happened.

ran PRIME95 and left pc to have dinner.. when i came back my system i guess has rebooted because i did not see the PRIME95 active on my tray.

shucks.. i need water! i just ordered UFO #2 to use with either an XP-90C OR XP-120.

guess 4.2 has to wait then..

will reboot and see if there's any setting i need to change.

will be back.

played around with MBM 5 now i dont 0 readings on my CPU! WHAT GIVES?

I did some testing tonight with vcore at 1.275. I started at 270fsb. Here are my results.

270: Not Stable - PC Mark No Run
265: Not Stable - PC Mark No Run
263: Not Stable - PC Mark No Run
261: Stable but gittery - PC Mark Ran
260: Perfect and Smooth.

So at 1.275 vcore, 260 is max fsb at 14X multi. Obviously that vcore is low, and lower then stock. so it seems anyhting over 260 is time to start adding voltage.

All tests were completed with the memory at 2.1 volts, and 5-3-3-8 timings.

Back