• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my 8RDA+ will only do 200fsb if the memory is at 160! Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gplracer

I have the following
420 watt power supply
8RDA+
Kingston hyperx 3500 ram
geforce 4 4200
1700+ (180fsb) at 1.675v

I can run my memory at or over 200 real easy. I can run my fsb at or over 200 real easy. I can not run both at 200 at all. I can not even boot at 195mhz. I ordered some corsair ram and then sent it back because the kingston worked slightly better. I removed the nb and put arctic silver on it. I have not cooled anything else. When I try to boot into windows at 195 it just neve makes it.

One would think that the cooling issue on the nb would still be an issue if the memory was running at 160 and the board at 200. I can not run the memory higher than 160 if the board is at 200 and get into windows. Could this problem be that the board is just not getting enough voltage to do the ram and the board at that speed? I hate to mess up my board with a vdd mod. I have never soldered anything before. Also did the arctic silver on the nb void my warranty anyway? Thanks!

Odds are it is your VDD voltage holding you back when running in dual channel. I can do 193 max in DC but 210 max in single. And this is because I have not done a VDD mod. The VDD voltage drops too much after 193.

And I never run my memory in async, it actually kills the memory bandwidth.

My 8rda would only do about 194 stable everything without the vdd mod also it a few tips!!!

1 Cool the mosfet with ramsinks.

2 Make sure you mem is in dimm slot 2 the one closiest to the cpu.

Read both of these links about 8rda once twice even three times if you still think you know what the links have said read the again.

http://hellcat.ipaska.net/~x8rdafa/8RDA/index.html

http://8rda.com/

I was running it at synch. I got a new board and it does 200 fsb fine. Although I think I need more voltage to do 200fsb instead of 180 fsb at the same processor speed. Does this sound right? I have another thread on it.

Back