• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Asus P6T Deluxe is partially broken now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

CMOS settings suddenly now always wiped out when AC power is lost, even with a brand new CR2032 battery! :mad:

It was OK last year...

That sucks.

Throw it in the gutter, and go buy another....

...or upgrade. That's an old platform!

My first Asus Sabertooth X79 had this same problem from the day I bought it. I tried everything, reflashed/updated BIOS version, new CMOS chip, new CMOS battery, different PSU, different RAM, different CPU, nothing fixed the issue.

In my case every time it said overclocking failed (even when it wasn't overclocked) and reset all settings to default.

I eventually gave up and bought another motherboard, as I couldn't find an obvious cause or solution.

Last edited:
In my case every time it said overclocking failed (even when it wasn't overclocked)

The Asus P6T Deluxe I have, can get stuck in this state, but I was able to get it out of that state. It's caused by hitting the power button then turning it off during early init.

My first Asus Sabertooth X79 had this same problem from the day I bought it. I tried everything, reflashed/updated BIOS version, new CMOS chip, new CMOS battery, different PSU, different RAM, different CPU, nothing fixed the issue.

In my case every time it said overclocking failed (even when it wasn't overclocked) and reset all settings to default.

I eventually gave up and bought another motherboard, as I couldn't find an obvious cause or solution.

If you are talking about a chip that looks like
dip8.jpeg
Then that's not the CMOS chip, that's the BIOS chip.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

The Asus P6T Deluxe I have, can get stuck in this state, but I was able to get it out of that state. It's caused by hitting the power button then turning it off during early init.

Glad you got it fixed.

I have an old Asus Rampage II Extreme that is still going strong after all these years

Yeah man.. bummer to hear her having a hard time. Mine can get finicky too, but surprisingly its been running for a couple of months with all 6 dims populated. It was a rare occurrence before. Its not overclocked because the psu struggles to run it at stock with with the GPU loaded. As soon s the GPU kicks in all the rails tank. With an overclock it just crashes.. bah. On to PSU number three soon.

Edit:

Classic EasyE reference,, I thought ED was old?

LOL, got the replacement motherboard yesterday, but the problem appears to be an extremely bizarro problem that even Google likely can't find a hit for! Looks like it's the XFX Radeon RX 580 causing this, albeit being GTA V stable and having a decent Corsair PSU, which is a gold, BTW. It's the TX850M.

I'm not using a CX-series, for goodness sakes!

The problem wasn't the false-overclock-failed-message. It's the CMOS settings getting lost when the PSU is disconnected. I have yet to see that with a GeForce!

Looks like that explains why I saw *nothing wrong* when I had a GeForce in there!

Last edited:
Well, now you cn build a second x58 rig!
:clap:
You already have 2 mobos, the rest is peanuts..

Yeah man.. bummer to hear her having a hard time. Mine can get finicky too, but surprisingly its been running for a couple of months with all 6 dims populated. It was a rare occurrence before. Its not overclocked because the psu struggles to run it at stock with with the GPU loaded. As soon s the GPU kicks in all the rails tank. With an overclock it just crashes.. bah. On to PSU number three soon.

How old is your PSU? I have a recent TX 850, the modular version, the TX850M.

Its one of the first ones iirc. I also have a TTSPM850 and it too can barely run it. Each have about 4 years of hard labor. My Xeon in conjunction with my old 570s and my old 580s were not kind :D Folding, benching, stress testing, transcoding.. hard labor :cry:

The original TX were ok, but nothing great. If it's that old, I may look into swapping it or getting another one.

It was ok at first, I am almost positive I brought it close to oc more than a few times. It was really easy to get into the 750-800w range.. and it wasn't the highest quality unit to begin with, it wasn't even cheap. Looking at some screen shots from 2014 all the rails were low when it was loaded. I tried the psu from my z77 in my x58 and it was rock solid, no problem, and that was with a GTX 580 Matrix Platinum overclocked as well instead of that lightweight 970. That's ok, I will pick a new one up for myself and slap mine back in it later. I will probably build something new over the winter.

Back