• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My cell is making static noises

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Every now and then my phone will make these noises similar to garlbed AM radio. It even does it when I have do not disturbed on. Sound like software or hardware?

So..... this is with the phone just sitting there right? Not while in use?

Some software you've installed is likely the culprit.

Yes, not using it. Just randomly every cpl hours. I deleted some new apps since this started. If it does it again, I will wipe it to factory settings.

As a side note, hardware doesn't start barking at you without software. Hardware does nothing without software. Reset the phone and save yourself some time. ;)

Is this through speakers or headphones? Sometimes EM emissions become an issue with phones and those EMs can hook onto your speaker lines and cause noise to come out.

It's through speakers. I'm just hoping I'm not hacked or being spied on, yes I'm paranoid.
If you can tell you're being hacked then the hacker is stupid or they think you are (or they are messing with you). :D

You most likely are dealing with a hardware/software hiccup. If you do a factory reset and the problem persists you can pretty much blame the hardware. Just like with a desktop computer a spare phone is a valuable troubleshooting tool. Good luck

It's through speakers. I'm just hoping I'm not hacked or being spied on, yes I'm paranoid.

If it ever happens again you can literally try the tin foil hat routine. Keep the phone on a level surface and place a dome tin sheet over it or even wrap it in tin (just don't scratch your screen).

What this does it actually block AC signals from getting in by causing a Faraday effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

If by using the tin foil hat routine stops the noise, than this means its EM and you have a hardware problem. No phone should ever be this susceptible that it can play through your speakers.

If the phone is not affected by the Faraday cage, than you have some rogue software on your phone. I'd hardware reset it and see if it doesn't go away.

If a hardware reset doesn't work than your phone has been compromised by the spider people. Proceed to curb stomp it and burn it in a pit of lava.

Taco is listening. HEY! finish that hot dog!!

On a side note, y'know, microwave ovens are supposed to block 2.4ghz? Well I tried to put my rc radio, which is 2.4ghz inside a microwave(no I didn't try to bake it) and my rc model kept receiving the signal, how is that possible? It's only a 10mW signal, what happens when 609 watts begin cooking a sausage and you're watching it?!

Back in the uh, awhile ago I had a CB radio enthusiast living behind me on the next block. He liked to boost his broadcast power UP....

I could hear his transmissions on my stereo speakers...with the stereo off! :shock:

Permissions. With a rooted phone and a working exposed installed (magisk?), you can define any permission for any ap selectively. My Sonim XP5 has 'Pico TTS' under a very small android os (I never use). I had thought it was proprietary and without google but was wrong. Best phone I have ever owned. With the way google has mixed up the permissions on the latest droid versions, it's so bad it just needs gutting.

Taco is listening. HEY! finish that hot dog!!

On a side note, y'know, microwave ovens are supposed to block 2.4ghz? Well I tried to put my rc radio, which is 2.4ghz inside a microwave(no I didn't try to bake it) and my rc model kept receiving the signal, how is that possible? It's only a 10mW signal, what happens when 609 watts begin cooking a sausage and you're watching it?!
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/mwoven.html
Microwave ovens are limited to 5 milliwatts (mW) of microwave radiation per square centimeter at approximately 2 inches from the oven surface.
https://www.howtogeek.com/171869/why-does-running-my-microwave-kill-my-wi-fi-connectivity/
Microwave ovens (which should label the output frequency somewhere) should use ~2.450 GHz.
I must point out that 2.4 GHz is far from ionising radiation, which is at least 2400000 GHz (the type that can harm human tissue and/or cause cancer). Even if the shield is faulty, it will not cause any harm. Any (very slight) damage would be caused by heating (and not directly by ‘radiation’), which you most definitely will feel before any real damage. Also, just don’t stand in front of it for hours a day. That always helps.

That time when I voluntarily used a decent router with OpenWRT and Wireshark and saw that paranoid silly people are paranoid silly people...

Last edited:
Thank you, Sir! I have achieved enlightenment. Taco afraid no more! Can't cook a taco by looking!

BOSS!

Back