• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer will not start up, won't even reach BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcool003

My computer will start out sounding strong, then die off, keeping the power light on and fans spinning. I have encountered this before, when my motherboard on my old comp died after plugging an hd monitor into the integrated graphics card and putting graphics up to highest possible, higher than it could handle, then it burned out.

My motherboard now is not old, only got it back in september, 8 months ago.

My system specs are:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

EVGA 01G-P3-1466-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) DS SSC 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply

ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B

Appreciate any help. :mad:

:welcome: to the forum, dcool!

Instead of this part of the forum, I'd take your thread and move it to the General Hardware section, or possibly the motherboards section. You'll get the best attention and help, there.

When you do that, be more specific - "sounds strong, then dies off" isn't a good enough description to trouble shoot a system.

For instance - do you hear a (possibly faint), series of beeps as you boot up? If so, what are they - (they'll have a repeating pattern). Do you see anything on the display, as you boot up? What?

Do you have any other computer that you could swap a suspect part into, and test it? Have you done any trouble shooting so far?

Noting where the wires are attached now, if you disconnect the front panel wiring, does that change anything? If a wire is set incorrectly, the system may start, but the power supply may sense the loads are not correct, and protectively shut down - usually within a few seconds.

Another possibility to check is that there isn't something on the back of the mobo (like a spare strand of wire or a misplaced spacer), that is causing this same problem, by shorting out something either to the case, or to another part of the board.

But ask about this in the hardware section, for better answers.

Honestly there is no beeping sound. After the sound of the system starting dies down to almost nothing, it just keeps doing that until I turn it off; whether that be 5 minutes later or 5 hours later (tried both). I have dealt with this problem, with a different system several years ago; that is why I presume that it has to do with the motherboard. On that other system, I plugged a monitor into the integrated graphics card and then turned it up to a resolution that was beyond the capabilities of the system and it inevitably stopped working.

Moved to general hardware.

There isn't a beeping sound on newer ASUS boards unless you install a motherboard speaker yourself; they don't come with them.

I don't recall your specific board has it, but there should be some LEDs (ASUS Q-LED) next to the 24-pin power plug, labeled CPU, RAM, GPU, etc. If your system is sticking during POST, that will tell you where it's stuck.

You can't really turn the resolution up higher than the iGPU can handle, but if your monitor can't handle it, that would cause the display to malfunction until you fixed it. When it starts, do you see the splash screen or anything?

Have you tried clearing CMOS?

The computer will not even connect to the monitor. If it does anything, as far as showing a splash screen, I would have no idea. And how would I go about clearing the CMOS?

To clear CMOS, find the CMOS jumper on your board. Move the jumper from the pins it is on now to the middle and open pin. Then move it back to where it was originally. Voila, CMOS cleared.

Check your board's manual if you can't locate the jumper.

Double check all the connectors. Also, if nothing else, try disconnecting the reset button. I just did an extensive upgrade on my main PC (auxiliary video card, serial port card, reworked lighting, SSD) and then tried to turn it on only to get a blank screen and the red CPU error light. After taking the machine almost half apart, I found that the reset button was jammed. Unplug the button, put back the parts I removed, and it started right up!

Since your motherboard has onboard video, try that with the video card removed.

My motherboard died after 6 months for no reason with the exact same problems are yours. I just removed each piece one by one to test until the mobo was the only thing left.

Back