• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My cooling idea. What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duke3d87

Hi, i dismantled my wc system yesterday and got a new idea

Here are my plans. After getting the Aluminum fans, i was like i cant hear! So recently i've decided that i want the high overclocks with low noise, and believe that i have found how to do it. My idea is this:

pump --> 1976 Chevy Impala Heatercore --> Swiftech MCW5002-A --> Asetek Radiator --> Tline --> pump

I'm testing it right now and its pretty good. Temps are hovering around 111 degrees F. I might have put on too much AS5, but whatever

[size=+1]Big plans for the Asetek Radiator[/size]
on the Asetek RAD, i plan on having two of these which should allow enough air to pass through the rad and still be quiet. Since i have two rads, i dont need such powerful fans on each rad

xoxide_1824_96718740

it also looks great!

This is what the rad looks like

radiator.jpg

mine is just a little bit more beat up, but still working. Its somewhat restrictive, but not much as i origionally thought. Then i came up to the conclusion that the rad was bad, i also had three elbows in my loop which kills performance

[size=+1] Mosfet Cooling[/size]
currenty, my mosfets are cooled by a TT 60 MM 30 CFM fan which is really loud. I'm thinking about getting a Smart Fan 2 which should be much quieter and cool a larger area. I can also easily connect it to a spare fan controller port on my TWY480 viewer (i gave the other fan to my sister :D)

[size=+1]Focus[/size]
the real goal is to make a pc that puts off some noise, but doenst sound like a vaccume cleaner. The sucess of this "mission" will depend on various fan controllers and how well i plan everything out. I'm used to doing a shady job on my "mods" but this might be the first one that turns out really well! :D

the Astek rad is capable of dissipating up to 400 watts of heat. The Heatercore can do more then 400 watts to temps should be relativly low

[size=+1]Post comments here[/size]

It seems fine to me other than the asetek rad but then again im not a fan of the coil type rad's. Although all of these sanyo denki lovers will prolly say to go with one of those instead of what you have posted I think the fan you posted seems fine. Just a question...Why two rad's for just the cpu?

i chose to use the second rad becuause i want it quiet. I've had a loud pc forever and i dont want to give up high performance just to make the CPU quiet (2.74 GHz AthlonXP-M) so i was impressed when i plugged in the second rad and have 6 fans on the rad all at 7 volts and i cant hear them. I'm also using the Asetek rad b/c i have it and cant afford to buy anything else. If i need more head/flow, i'll attach my older pump (L20) to help it along

Understandable...I thought you were just using two for the whole idea of "i think two rads will be better than one".

And about fans you want to get - they are TT, so be more scepticial with noise levels they "should be". TT products have never been designed for silence (Silent Boost is a joke). These 120mm fans might be pretty silent, but don't expect them produce no noise at all.

I have three Western Digital 80 GB HDs (fourth one wont fit :() So its not going to be 100% quiet, but i want to be able to move enough air inside the case and outside the case (for the rads) so it can be quiet as possible

Also, do you think i should get a black ice pro instead of the aetek radiator?

If you already have radiator, there shouldn't be need to change it. Perhaps it will be slightly better, but spending attcional $$$ for minimal performance boost is in my opinion useless. But if you had possibility to get good, cheap heatercore, you might give it a try.

the rad would cost around $30 which is the same amount as a heatercore. I'm not sure which one to get cause i want to get a dual processor system and if i use dual rads for that, the pump might not be able to handle two blocks for the CPU and a really restrictive rad

Usually water restriction of radiator is very small comparing to restriction of water block. To minimize restriction, you could try to run things in parallel.

Still good big rad would help - but question is if it rather helps or wastes cash.

Duke3d87 said:
wait, how is the WB very restrictive? I have the MCW5002-A.

This block has pretty accpetable water restriction, and about my previous post - I can't give you charts right now, but you can find some graphs with flow-to-pressure drop ratios for some water blocks and radiators, and you'll find that radiators generally have low water restriction, comparing to water blocks.

That asterik rad is killing your flow. It is most likely hurting your flow more than it is helping with cooling. You may find better temps without that rad. You may also want to try having only fans pulling on your rad/rads, you will have slightly less performance but much less noise.

Thanks. if you read my thread about the NF7-S not working you'll understand what i'm talking about now. I wanana get a new case one that will actually hold my Hds (it cant hold all four of them :(). What i'm going to do it use a black ice pro, mount it at the bottom of my case with a fan filter and then have dual 120 mm fans at the top exhausting it (if i put the rad at the top, it would block too many drive bays) and then cut a hole in the side for a Sunon 120 mm fan. The heatercore will be put on hold for now b/c i wont have room to put it. The 6 fans on my current heatercore will be used in the case for cooling the Hds and what not (my primary WD is dying b/c of overheating so having an 80mm fan blow over it will be very useful). or i might to go xoxide and get 8 LED fans. I plan on using my Vantec Nexus and my Xoxide 3.5" Fan controller. I want it to be quiet yet managment b/c right now, its far from quiet and far from manageable. I also wont have a window b/c i dont want to deal with that crap for now

EDIT: i want to do all this b/c i want to be able to upgrade to a dual athlonmp sometime this year so i dont have to go out and buy a new pc. I have to rma a boatload of stuff b/c they broke over the course of the past 7-8 months.

i was thinking. I dont think i ever got a really sound answer to this question, so might as well ask it again. Ok so i was thinking what if i used the Asetek waterchill rad? If i did
L30 --> black ice pro --> L20 --> CPU --> asetek woudl that be good? or

L30 --> Black ice pro --> CPU --> Pump --> astek --> possible gallon resivour?

since i have the L20 from a long time ago, i was wondering if having that there to help push the water through the astek rad would belp help GPH and head and there for help performance

Even though people dont seem to be listening, i'll still post what i'm doing lol

I've decided to ditch the Asetek. After it rattled for a long time, i got the L30 replaced and got an L35 in return (nothing like a 29.99999999% increase in flow :D) I'm going to be using mostly 5/8" tubing

So
hydor to Heatercore (5/8")
heatercore to WB (1/2")
WB to Tline (5/8")
Tline back to pump (5/8")

Pst... I wouldnt get the TT smart fan 2. In my old system, I could hear the bearings on the lowest speed. :(

I'd pust my money on a Sanyo Denki... But since theres not many left, I'd get another Panaflo.

Back