• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My CPU heatsink is not hot!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

100mbHD

I have a mobile-XP 2600+ w/ a thermalright SLK-947U on it and after using the comp for a bit, i noticed that the heatsink is not getting hot. Is this normal. Right now, my idle CPU temp is around 40*c. But ambient temp is like 80*F. I was wondering if I could be expecting lower temps, or if the heatsink should be hot? THere is a 92mm fan on top of it running at 2800rpm putting out around 52cfm.

Well, if your case temps are the same as your ambient temps, then your case is about 27c. So, your cpu is running 13c above the air around it. Likely you case is more like 30c. Realy, that isnt bad. What you realy need to watch are load temps, idle means nothing to me.

idle ??whats that ? never heard of it. use prime or run some foldin under wizard_james

and see what you get under load

(imo idle shold be banned from words in the site lol)

I agree with you on all points James, except that he should be folding under EckyX3. IMG idle is just a waste of power.

well, since nobody really answered the question you were actually asking (no offense to everyone else :)) I will.

The fact that your heatsink is cool is a very good thing, that means that it is dissipating heat efficiently. If your heatsink was hot, that would be a very bad thing. Basically, the heatsink feels cool because it is transfering all of that heat to the air around your hand and to your hand when you touch it. So it feels cold, when in reality it isn't a matter of cold or hot, ie, be happy :).

thanks a lot strages for answering my questoin. But thanks for to the others for the advice. Under load it is about 42/43. oh and yes, my case temps are around 27/28.

So that gives you an apprx. C/W of .15 ... about right considering you haven't oc'ed your mobile yet. Your C/W rating will climb once you overclock, meaning your load temps will be higher at the same ambient temp.

Have you removed the case fan grills and organized cables out of the way? Sorry if these sound like questions you'd ask a newbie, but I don't think I've seen a pic of your case yet so I don't know what it looks like.

nope, i havent really organized cables and all fan grills are still there....I believe that once i do this, I can possibly lower case temps by as much as 5*c.

dont spam fan
and if u do ..havin somethin good to say does help.

did you say we were gona get some pics?

I have pics, but Im not sure if they will be that helpful, they might be, heres a look.

IMG_1316.jpg

This is the back of the case.

IMG_1344.jpg

My cpu cooling, SLK-947U w/ 92mm 50cfm fan

IMG_1382.jpg

Pic of inside

ooh someone needs to clip their rear fan grill don't they.

does the case have a clear air path in the front or wherever the intake is?

the wesson

yes, i need to cut that rear fan grill lol. and actually, i dont have front intake fans. The only intake fan i have is that side one on the window that you see. I have a 120mm exhaust in the rear, and an 80mm exhaust on top of the case.

well sounds like you have your case ventilation pretty well under control. so the only thing that occurs to me is that it seems like you have more exhaust than intake, so one more intake fan somewhere would probably substantially help case temps.

Roughly speaking, airflow thru case = min(intake,exhaust) ...

Do you mean the heatsink isn't hot to the touch? 40C is about 104F. Hot tubs are kept at around 100F. They aren't exactly burning hot. So your heatsink won't feel that hot when you touch it with your finger. My heatsinks were always warm. They never got so hot that I couldn't hold my finger on them.

Your CPU temps are alright. You have a high ambient temp so I would say 40C is acceptable. Especially if you are overclocked. Try re-seating your heatsink, and working a little more on case airflow. Maybe mount a gutted 92mm fan under your CPU fan for a shroud. Also, the screws on the heatsink should be bottomed out.

ahh i see, when i tought the heatsink, its not even warm. strages said that it was a good sign, meaning the heatsink is dissipating heat efficiently. Yes, this week ambient temps have been really high, sometimes as high as 90*F. I didnt know that the screws had to bottem out, i was afraid of crushing the core, is that possible? thanks.

Well, I know that I had to bottom out the screws on my P4, but I'm not sure on the AMD's. I looked on the Thermalright website, but their instructions were a little vague...
All four screws are on, the HSF looks nice and straight. Now tighten up those screws in crisscross pattern now. When standoffs moved a little, your screws are already tight enough.

I don't know if that means tighten until they stop, so someone else'll have to fill you in on that.

I would really recommend removing that rear fan grill, and the ones in the front if there are any... that must be killing your airflow. Good Luck :)

I just checked and my screws are bottemed out. Im guessing its the ambient temps. The comp is right next to the window, so depending on outside temps, the comp will respond differently. Temps drop to as low as 36c at night, but as high as the mid 40's in the afternoon. I will cut that rear fan grill.

Back