• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Cpu temperature.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kim Tin

Hey, i have a AMD FX 4170 4.2 ghZ processor, and i have a radeon sapphire 7850 GPU. What should my cpu temperature be when i play games at max resulution? mine is at 48 - 55 degree ... is it normal to have it hot like that ? ? i also use the stock fan that i got with my Cpu ... :bang head

Last edited:
yea those temps are fine and pretty common.
those temps are Celsius less scary then when you see the same temps in Fahrenheit (yours would be 118-131)

Hi Kim, what case are you using? Where is it located, under a desk, in a desk cubby, etc?

I was just curious, a cheap case and/or one in a desk cubby can lead to high temps also. I don't think that is the problem in your situation. Maybe you should put an aftermarket cpu heatsink on it. I'm not 100% sure with the FX chips but on the Phenoms 55c is usually about as high as you can push before you start getting instability. This heatsink would do the trick and even allow you to OC it if you wanted. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Hey, i have a AMD FX 4170 4.2 ghZ processor, and i have a radeon sapphire 7850 GPU. What should my cpu temperature be when i play games at max resulution? mine is at 48 - 55 degree ... is it normal to have it hot like that ? ? i also use the stock fan that i got with my Cpu ... :bang head

The question is now what are you using to 'read' your cpu temperature? It makes a difference for sure.

The question is now what are you using to 'read' your cpu temperature? It makes a difference for sure.

Ye its also i problem... im using the ASUS AI Suite II.... but du u know a better program that gives you the exact information for ur Cpu? ?

Ye its also i problem... im using the ASUS AI Suite II.... but du u know a better program that gives you the exact information for ur Cpu? ?

As far as I am concerned there is NO FREE temp reading program for most late AMD cpus, that is better than another. I have seen a for-pay program that makes more sense than most of the free programs, because the AMD temps are actually described as to how the program will do the reporting of the temps. But almost everyone wants FREE, so there you are.

Now there is a program that we use 'most' of the time because we have looked at users posts for years and know how that program acts about 97% of the time. For that reason we most often 'say' a person's temps are good or bad when we see his temps represented in that free program. That program is HWMonitor from CPUID com. Free version and with the + by the cpu cores clicked on so the CPU Core Temps are displayed.

If you want to download HWMonitor and open it on the desktop and leave it open while you run about 20 mins of Prime 95 in 'blend' mode and then capture a screenshot of HWMonitor that was open and logging min/max temps and voltages, and post that capture to the forum as an attachment, then we can say like we do 99% of the time, whether we think your temps are too high.

Otherwise, just use the AI Suite temps and you should be good to go since that after all is the software designed by your motherboard manufacturer.

Last edited:
Just an FYI Kim, to go a little further on what RGone said the AI Suite II which I have also. Is only giving you a reading on your motherboard and CPU, it doesn't give you a reading on the core temps which are also important.

you might use amd overdrive, use it as a monitor only.
it can be found at amd.com/game/downloads

Back