• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My DFI Infinity has died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanibanez

This is about my secondary pc:

Athlon 64 X2 s939
1Gb Samsung ram
EVGA 8600 GT 512 Mb
DFI infinity motherboard
Thermaltake TR2 430w power supply

Yesterday I took the case apart to cut some new fan holes. I removed everything, cut the holes, cleaned up the case and placed everything back in.

Then I turned it on, no post. Gave it a hard boot and it seemed okay. Got into windows and tried surfing. Got into Firefox and then things got real choppy. The lag was horrible. I couldn't get into task manager so i gave it a soft boot, no post. Tried again, no post. Hard boot, finally a post but couldn't get to the windows boot screen.

Rebooted again and managed to get into the BIOS. The temps seem okay but from what I can recall, the 12v was low (11.7v). I forgot to check the rest. I tried down clocking a 100Mhz to see if this was an issue now. When I went to save the bios the PC shut down on its own. When i tried to turn it on again, nothing.

I removed everything including the CPU. Turned on the motherboard and no beeps to indicate things were missing. Not good. So being the electronics goober that I am I removed the top to the power supply ( yes I know this is retarded and yes its stupid). I checked for any burnt components but all I was getting was a strange loud noise from the transformer.

I then did a bad thing and touched the large heat sink for the voltage regulators to make sure it wasn't too hot (the fans were spinning). I then got a 120V ac zap (ouch). Trust me, I know what a 120V ac feels like (don't ask). I don't think the heat sink should be carrying that voltage. I also think that it took the motherboard out too since I tried my OCZ 600watt I have in my main pc on this motherboard and got nothing when I tried turning it on.

Anyone agree or is there something else I can try?

Yep, now you have a dead PSU and a dead motherboard. As I read a little ways into your post I said to myself, "That's behaving like a dying PSU." You apparently reached the same conclusion . . . but maybe too late. Now you have a good excuse to get some updated components, if you have the cash, that is.

Some good news. After more testing with another psu the motherboard does post. I now have another psu on order. Have an OCZ SXS 500w coming. :clap:

Back