• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first build, does it work ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DShow

Hello,

I have started a project to build my first own PC :)

Think i have done a quite good job finding the parts i need and that fit my budget.

However as a newbie to this i am worried if my build will fit together and I hoped that someone here could confirm that I will actually be able to build it :)

Build:
Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z or SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8350
GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
RAM: Vengeance® — 8GB Dual/Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
Harddisk: WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5
SSD disk: Samsung SD 840 PRO 2.5-inch SATA 128GB (Basic)
PSU: AX760 ATX Power Supply
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T
CPU Cooler: Hydro Series H75 Liquid CPU Cooler

Feel free to comment the build as well. I am not set on a Motherboard just yet, I would like to play around with some overclocking eventually which the formula-z is very capable of but still it might be overkill for me as a newbie :) So probably gonna go with the Sabertooth.

Please help and confirm that these part fit together.

TIA !

It will fit.

Go for the Sabertooth unless you plan on using sub-zero cooling methods.

The H75 will not cool an 8350 well. You want a H100i (or something with a 2x120mm worth of radiator) if you are overclocking that thing.

PSU is a bit of overkill for one CPU...

That ram, you have 4x8GB? I am a bit confused as it says dual/quad channel...?

Thx for the quick replay :)

I want a system that i can keep building on for that reason i picked a larger PSU than needed.

I will use 2x4GB and take advantage of the dual channel.

Will consider a better cooler, thought it was good enough :) <-- TY

Go for the Sabertooth unless you plan on using sub-zero cooling methods.
The Sabertooth is as good of a board as the CHVF-Z, as ED said it just doesn't have the bells and whistles that the CHVF-Z has. Unless you're planning on benching Sub-Ambient the CHVF-Z is overkill.

If overclocking is the plan get the best Aftermarket heatsink you can fit into the case, period. These Fx 8xxx cpu's really churn out the heat when pushed on.

Not with an overclocked 8350 it isn't. Stock, sure. very light overclocking, yep. Much past that, you will want what a better cooler will provide.

I am sorry guys but you have lost me now :)

Not sure which CPU cooler to get anymore, what would you recommend?

I only really have two requirements one that it keeps my CPU cold also with a little overclocking and secondly that it is not loud even under high pressure.

I mentioned above the H100i... THere is also the Thermaltake Big Water 3.0, and others I can't think of this second that will suffice.

Last edited:
Okey think I am set now, thx for all the help.

Will be fun to get started :D

So ofcourse once i get my build finish, I got another offer for a pre-build. I have a hard time determining of I should by that one or go with my own in terms of performance especially in games.

The pre-build machine has:

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 (4x3,6GHz) Quad Core max. 1 x 4,0GHz Sockel LGA 1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8,0GB DDR3 (1x8GB) 1600MHz CL9 CL9-9-9-24
SSD Disk:Samsung Flash 120GB 840-er EVO Serie SATA 3.0
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 2GB DDR5 RAM, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP
PSU: Corsair CX600W ATX 12V V2.3 & EPS 12V 2.01 / 40A / effi. 80% / 12 cm

Both cost around the same my own build a little more expensive but really it nothing.

The Intel CPU is probably much better than the FX-8350 so which one would you recomend i go for?

Can this be build?

Will I be able to fit this build together and working?

Build:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60GHz / 8MB)
GPU: Asus GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 - 2GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel DDR3-1600 8GB (2x4GB)
PSU: Corsair CX600M - 600W
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 128GB
Harddisk: Western Digital Black - 3.5" - SATA 6Gbps - 1TB (B)

Feel free to comment for upgrades in same price range :)

Most importantly is, can i put all these things together..? I am a newbie so dont wanna buy stuff and find out they don't fit.

Back