• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first build- gaming pc up to $1000, looking for suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look in your mobo manual. It will give a layout of the front panel connector. The LED's are marked + and - so that's hard to screw up. For the others just put them in with the writing facing out.

I do know which side the +/- go on the motherboard. They actually have a + on the board itself. My problem is more with the wire itself. Both wires are black, and I don't recall seeing a + on the led, but I will look a second time when I get home.

Today should be the power supply and all of the rest of the connections, SATA and power. I think I have done everything else. I have watched enough videos and read through the how to build a computer thread, that I think I am ready for that part.

So after I get it all hooked up, go through my checklist, and turn on the power, what happens next? Do I go to a bios screen? I have a windows 8.1 DVD, but obviously haven't installed that yet (or any of the drivers for the hardware. What should the computer boot to, and how do I go about installing windows and the drivers?

The next thing would be to install Windows. Then you should do a 20 minute Prime95 "blend" stress test to make sure your cooler is seated well and operating properly. Have HWMonitor (non pro version) open on the desktop. HWMonitor is a free temp and voltage monitoring program we all use around here. After the stress test, attach an image of HWMonitor so we can look at the temps. To attach an image, first crop and save it with something like Snipping Tool in Windows accessories. Then click on Go Advanced. When the advanced post window appears, click on the paperclip tool. The rest is obvious.

You can also use the IMG tag inside [] and [/] to post images you have on photobucket, flickr, etc.

I just use MS paint to crop stuff. Run P95 for a while or AIDA 64, keep hwmonitor open, press PRNTSCRN on your keyboard, hit MS paint, paste, crop, and post.

PS if you have a Haswell chip (I don't remember, thread too long) do not use the latest P95. Use 27.7 or something like that. The latest version overheats Haswell.

You can also use the IMG tag inside [] and [/] to post images you have on photobucket, flickr, etc.

I just use MS paint to crop stuff. Run P95 for a while or AIDA 64, keep hwmonitor open, press PRNTSCRN on your keyboard, hit MS paint, paste, crop, and post.

PS if you have a Haswell chip (I don't remember, thread too long) do not use the latest P95. Use 27.7 or something like that. The latest version overheats Haswell.

Please don't use outside hosts. People on this forum sometimes browse from work and cannot see third party hosts.

Please don't use outside hosts. People on this forum sometimes browse from work and cannot see third party hosts.

As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't be screwing around like that at work anyways. Use the forum on your own time. America/Canada have a worker efficiency problem already. :)

As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't be screwing around like that at work anyways. Use the forum on your own time. America/Canada have a worker efficiency problem already. :)

Who says you can't use your work computer on break? Or on lunch? Just because someone posts from work doesn't mean they're slacking off.

I finished everything and turned it on, but we've got a problem. The LEDs light and the cpu fan turns on, the sapphire graphics card is flashing sapphire in green, but nothing else is happening. I didn't hear any beeps and nothing comes through either the original monitor out or the hdmi from the sapphire. UGH!!!!

I wasn't trying to use two outputs at the same time. I tried each separately. Neither every displayed anything. Also, the motherboard has a debug code that it is supposed to display, but that isn't lighting up, so it isn't helping me figure out what is wrong.

I wasn't trying to use two outputs at the same time. I tried each separately. Neither every displayed anything. Also, the motherboard has a debug code that it is supposed to display, but that isn't lighting up, so it isn't helping me figure out what is wrong.

If you're not getting any POST LED readout the mobo is not posting at all.

Make sure the CPU is seated properly.

Make sure the RAM and the video card are seated properly. Make sue the external power leads to the video card are connected. Make sure the 4/8 pin 12v power connector is plugged into the motherboard. If it still doesn't post then remove every nonessential component and retry. Take all the ram out except one stick and swap out the ram one stick at a time in each slot. Try each stick of RAM in each slot. If that doesn't work the remove the motherboard from the case and set up a bare bones system on a tabletop ("breadboarding" we call it).

I got the Corsair CX750. I know it might be overkill, but it wasn't much higher than the cost of the 600, and I'd rather play it safe.

Yes that is overkill you should have squeezed the cash for better CPU then video then RAM, that should be your priority.

It has been a while since I posted about this, but now I have an update. I was pretty frustrated, and put the whole system on the shelf for a few months. With some spare time, I decided to start over, mostly from scratch. I reinstalled everything except the graphics card (which needs a DVI cable, or an adapter before I can watch through my monitor, so I ordered a cable that should get here Sunday). Anyways, going through the steps again this week, I really didn't do anything different, other than the graphics card, but now, I am happy to report that the system is up and running! I was able to install windows 8, get connected to the internet, get to steam and download Legend of Grimrock, and everything is working.

So now, I need to install the graphics card. That might have been where I ran into trouble before, so i guess I have a few questions if someone can help.

Do I need to disable the current on-board graphics card before I put in the card?

My card has two 8 pin connector inputs on top. I have a cable from my modular power supply that has an 8 pin connector to go into the supply and two 8 pin connectors that say PCI-E. Can I just use this one cable to power the card, or do I have to plug the a cable from the card to the board rather than the power supply?

Other than connecting the card to the board and powering it, is there anything I else I need to do?

thanks for any help you can give!

You don't need to disable onboard.

Yes, you plug in from the PSU directly to the GPU.

You'll want to install the GPU driver, but that'll happen after getting into Windows with it in the system.

Thanks for the answers to my questions! I appreciate it. I'll try to install the card tomorrow when my DVI cord gets here.

In the meantime, I ran HWMonitor both while I was playing Legend of Grimrock, and then wile running prime95 for 20 minutes.

For Grimrock, the core#0-3 and package temps had highs of 36, 40, 38, 39, and 40 degrees C, but generally stayed in the high 20s.

For Prime 95, while it was running, at the 20 minute mark, the highest temps found were 54, 57, 53, 53, and 57. They generally ran in the high 40s to low 50s throughout the test The moment of the snapshot I took was 49, 51, 51, 51, and 52. When I stopped the test, the temps dropped right back to the high 20s.

Is there something else I should specifically look for.

Thanks!

Back