• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first overclocking journey

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fa7h3r

Hi,

First i would like to say thanks all you experts for sharing so much useful information. Specially Dolk, great guide!!!.

Few weeks ago i decide to add a 2nd 6950 vid card for crossfire. I will not lie, it took me some time to find the right combo of drivers and CAP to get smooth BF3 gameplay however i notice that my GPU utilization was in the lower 40 or high 30 and my FPS were sometimes even better with one 6950 vid card.

This is where i first read about CPU bottleneck and decide to give overclocking a try. First i decide to change my stock cooling with a NH-D14.

As today my best fully tested 12hrs prime blend is with the following settings:

FSB = 200
CPUClock = 3.7Ghz
CPU-NB Clock =2.4Ghz
HTT Clock = 1800
CPU V = 1.55
CPU-NB V = 1.26
RAM 1066 5-5-5-15-32 2.1 V
Max Temp = 48c

Now, I´m been trying to push it to 3.8Ghz by only adding more CPU V but so far the only value that seems provide some hope is 1.6V, anything under that give me BSOD. When testing at 1.6V and leaving everything else the same as my 3.7Ghz test my Max temp reach 52c with prime blend. I have only test it around 3hrs so far and planning to leave for more than 8hrs but i´m looking for experts opinion regarding if my OC settings looks ok and if I should be fine by leaving my OC test for more than 8hrs and 1.6V at the CPU?

Is there any other variable that i should consider play with? should i try 3.9 or 4.0Ghz? or i should not bother considering my current results.

thanks in advance for your support

I would not exceed 1.55v. The life of your CPU will be shortened if you go higher than that. What you really need is faster ram. 1066 is DDR2 transfer rate. And I don't think your tight timings will make up that much difference.

Back