• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My gaming frames-per-second seems low...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sigur Ros

Registered
Hi, new here...

I just overhauled my rig, and now my setup contains the following:
  • AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz (will upgrade later)
  • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Motherboard (brand new)
  • 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz (brand new)
  • Gigabyte AMD Radeon 7950 3GB DDR5 (used for bitcoin mining, but seems to be working fine)
  • Internet averages 60 Mbps download (upload around 4 Mbps avg.)

I play a lot of Battlefield 4, so I will use that as my example.

High settings I get about 40-60 FPS. "Ultra" settings not all that much less. I tend to fall into the 30's and 20's while playing.
I know I don't "need" more, and I know the server conditions have a lot to do with it, but I know others can do a lot better than that.

I ran Futuremark's benchmark tool, and it tells me I was averaging around 20 FPS.

Based on the build, do any of you see a bottleneck? Or is the issue the server/internet speed?

I know the CPU is dated, but it certainly shouldn't be holding me back... should it?

Thanks guys.

What resolution are you playing your game at?

Internet is fine, ram is fine, CPU is outdated, which could hurt the performance a bit as IIRC BF games are a bit CPU-intensive. The video card should be doing decently well, but I would expect to be averaging about 45-50 fps on ultra.

You can probably check out some various benchmarks for BF4 that include the 7950 which may give you an idea of where you stand. Granted most of those will likely have a higher-end CPU but it will point in the right direction.

CPU should be fine... http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

High settings I get about 40-60 FPS. "Ultra" settings not all that much less. I tend to fall into the 30's and 20's while playing.
I would imagine you would hit minimum FPS in the 20's and 30s with your setup. Here is a 7970 and it averages around 56 FPS. The 7950 will be in the upper 40s, and I am sure it would dip into the 30's and possibly 20s.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/9.html

Last edited:
What resolution are you playing your game at?

Playing at 1920x1080, "high" settings.

Internet is fine, ram is fine, CPU is outdated, which could hurt the performance a bit as IIRC BF games are a bit CPU-intensive. The video card should be doing decently well, but I would expect to be averaging about 45-50 fps on ultra.

You can probably check out some various benchmarks for BF4 that include the 7950 which may give you an idea of where you stand. Granted most of those will likely have a higher-end CPU but it will point in the right direction.

That's the thing, comparable systems seem to be performing better. But, yesterday I was playing at over 60 FPS avg. Hitting as high as 77.
I don't know what happened, unless the new build just took a week to find it's groove, lol.

Then again, I may be at 30 & 40 again next time I play.

Thanks for the reply.

CPU should be fine... http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

I would imagine you would hit minimum FPS in the 20's and 30s with your setup. Here is a 7970 and it averages around 56 FPS. The 7950 will be in the upper 40s, and I am sure it would dip into the 30's and possibly 20s.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/9.html

Thank you for the links, I appreciate those. Others I have seen have put my system better than I was seeing... but as I stated in my previous post, I was hitting 60s and 70s last night.

To be honest, rubberbanding is the only issue I have in BF4, so the FPS is not a big deal.
I'm just one of those guys who wants his money to perform the best it is able.

I know the CPU is dated, but I'm also quite sure that's not the hold-up.
It's not that much different than the newer 8320 except for OC'ing... which I don't do.

I don't know... hopefully these higher speeds will continue.

Thanks for your reply, and the links.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rubberbanding is the server/internet not your CPU. ;)

Correct.
I was just saying the only noticeable issue I am experiencing, is the server's rubber banding.

The low FPS doesn't seem to be a problem.

I just want the rig to perform at it's best... and 20-30 FPS is not it's best.

Dips to the 30s I would expect... Constantly sitting around there I wouldn't.

Thanks Earth, I guess I will just keep paying attention and take notes of where I'm at.

When things are running smooth (even the rubberbanding on the servers has been fixed by EA for the most part), the last thing I care about are the specs of my computer.
It's when I am experiencing any sort of lag, or anything else annoying... that I want to make sure it's the internet... and not me.

An 8 core FX CPU and a GTX 970 and a nice aftermarket heatsink would go a long way.

Lol, I'm sure it would... but this is just a system that fits in my disposable budget. I upgrade portions when I feel the need.
I don't see ever paying $200 or more for a video card.

Next purchase is likely an FX-8350, soon as I feel this 965 x4 is holding me back.
Don't know when I would get another video card, this 7950 seems to be working fine.

Lol, I'm sure it would... but this is just a system that fits in my disposable budget. I upgrade portions when I feel the need.
I don't see ever paying $200 or more for a video card.

Next purchase is likely an FX-8350, soon as I feel this 965 x4 is holding me back.
Don't know when I would get another video card, this 7950 seems to be working fine.

If you never spend more than $200 on a video card you'll never feel like this

pcp.gif

Lol. True though.

Back