• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My head hurts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

67Elco

Trying a new kit and it's kicking my ***. If I so much as look at tRAS or tRC it goes to hell...otherwise it tests fine.

tWR.jpg

OCCT.jpg

no errors.jpg

Last edited:
I am guessing you are not happy with timings your sticks are doing on the tRAS and tRC?

Some good info at tom's hardware on overclocking DDR5 ram.... \

I've been so far out of the game for so long now..... but I remember "back in the day" we would actually flash the SPD timings ..i.e re-code those timings with firm ware... not sure if that is a thing anymore??

I had great success back then flashing SPD timings of micron ICs on kingston sticks ...but that is more than a decade ago now.... hope you find a viable solution to your issue.

There is some info in this guide, but most for low clocks and it's pretty basic. The guy who wrote that isn't really advanced, and his reviews are pretty average (with some mistakes). I guess we could expect some more from TH. On the other hand, TH readers are also not as demanding as they used to be.

Either way, I'm surprised this motherboard even works with RAM at 8000MT/s. It's rated at 7600MT/s max ... and MSI in this generation is usually right about limits of their motherboards. Like Z790 have 7800MT/s and barely any of them works at more. It's a new model, and it's not even a high mobo series, so the BIOS team won't really spend much time optimizing anything. MSI isn't really doing much above standard in the last two generations. I really liked their earlier motherboards, and I had some great OC results, but the current one is below average.

I don't think anyone will help if it's only a matter of tRAS and tRC. If it works, it works, if not then you can't do much about it. If you want higher performance, then play with tREFI, which should give the best results - higher bandwidth and lower latency at once (sometimes can go up to the limit, 65k or maybe more on your mobo). Also, bumping voltage a bit, you can lower CL, but this will give lower gains than tREFI.
Your tRC and tRAS are pretty much what you can expect from XMP/EXPO for 8k. Tested by me a while ago 2x16GB KLEVV 8000 CL38 kit has tRC 176 and tRAS 128 at XMP/EXPO. Well, both should go down by at least 20, but maybe it's not passing the motherboard's training. I don't have any MSI AM5 mobo right now, so I can't check how it acts.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback - I'm no memory guru by any stretch...this kit acted the same even at 7800 and with different timings. It just feels like there is more potential here if only I can figure out the combination. With each bios update even these lower tier boards benefit.

Last edited:
8k on AMD is tricky on any mobo and regular Ryzen CPUs (read it as not APU). You may check if 7600 at tighter timings works any better. Either way, it won't be faster. It's like a 0-1% difference in games or rendering.
Recently I checked 8600G APU as I had it at work and I could make it run at 8400MT/s on the same motherboard where Ryzen 7800X3D, 7950X or 7600 couldn't even post at 8200, but all were stable at 8000. Even though 8400 looks fine, then somehow, I was counting on more.
I feel like 2x24GB kits are a bit easier for OC with all new BIOS releases. The same all new QVLs have only 2x24GB 7600+ kits like motherboard manufacturers forgot that 2x16GB kits even exist. I assume that new BIOS releases are optimized for 2x24GB kits.

Fairly sure I read on another thread recently that AMD for some reason, likes even (2,4,6...) not odd (1,3,5...) numbers, as in it's easier to get them stable, is that also the case with more advanced timings?

Or is that one of those memes you sometimes catch?

Fairly sure I read on another thread recently that AMD for some reason, likes even (2,4,6...) not odd (1,3,5...) numbers, as in it's easier to get them stable, is that also the case with more advanced timings?

Or is that one of those memes you sometimes catch?
I have no clue what I am doing...why would you ask such a question? :LOL:

Back