• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My laptop is faster than your desktop....hehe - Athlon 64 @2.4 gigs benchable!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am not buying those benches, the dothan is dead in the water as soon as 64 bit OSes are released. The dothan is the best thing Intel has right now, don't get me wrong. I think it is sweet, I just do not think it will work as well in the future as the Athlon 64.

Wait my friend, Dothan goes 533fsb, 800 for the desktop version, and its has plenty of headroom now, plop the worthless so far 64bit extensions on it and bingo, amd64 has competition. Now when 64bit code arrives, we will see which dog has bigger ##lls. Of course by the time that happens, I think Itanium/Pentium M combo MB's will make it all mute anyway.

Athlon 64 beta is already out and UT2k4 for 64 is already out. With this the performance advantage is clearly seen. To get the extensions working correctly, it will take more cycles than the way it performs now. Don't forget the Athlon 64 is a moving target as well. Socket 939 and the faster it gets will cause some serious competition if Dothan is all you think it is. Since when is Dothan getting 800 fsb desktop mobos, by the way? Athlon is here now with the performance. I hope for good competition, but I vote AMD on this one.

"Mute" in your last sentence should be "Moot" as well.

Back