• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new build isn't up to par.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
16 gigs of ram, in single channel????? somethings very wrong.
running 800@cl11, even more wrong.

you need to open your manual to pgaes 1-8 and 1-9 and install your ram properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

you need to open your manual to pgaes 1-8 and 1-9 and install your ram properly.

Oh boy. That's not good.

I've opened the manual and reinserted the memory correctly. I have my ram set up for dual channel but unfortunately, it is still running at 800MHz and CL11...

ram.png

Couple things

1) remove ai suite. Does nothing for you
2) edit
3) check your drivers and make sure your ssd has the latest firmware
4) m5a97 or m5a97 le?
5) run memtest
6) make sure your bios is up to date
7) benchmark your ssd

1) Okay, I'll remove it.
2) Edit???
3) I definitely made a rookie mistake and forgot to update this. I just updated it, thank you.
4) Neither. M5A97 R2.0 (It's basically M5A97 but v2)
5) I've ran a couple different memory tests but I'll set up a thumb drive for Memtest.
6) My BIOS is up to date.
7) Can I use Sandra for this?

you have swapped cpu's?
if so reset the bios to default, cpu's differ one to the next.

as you get close to filling a drive, the poor thing has a lot of searching through stuff to put a program together, windows is very sloppy and just writes stuff everywhere.
if you hear clicking, this is a good sign of a failing hdd, it's the sound of the little arms flailing about smashing the heads that read the disks into things.

remove AI suite, it's known to cause great grief and many grey hairs.

I've reset my BIOS to default.

Understood. I believe I know what clicking your talking about too.

Okay, I'll remove it.

Last edited:

That seems to be correct to me, if his memory is DDR3-1600 then it would display 800MHz in programs like CPU-Z or that program he's running. They display half of the rated speed of the memory, hence Double Data Rate (800MHz X 2=1600MHz).

It is a little odd that it's running at 11-11-11 though, since the JEDEC specs aren't showing that being a rated configuration.

he'll just have to go set the ram timings manually. if he's got 1600 ram, that's fine, you only see any good from faster ram in bench marks.

benchmarks, smenchmarks, we need to cure your freezeing and such issues.

Yes, that's what we need. =D

Ok, so my latency specifications are 9-9-9-24. I've never had to manual change my memory settings so I would basically just change the three 11's to 9's and the 28 I believe to a 24? Anything else I should be changing or just these 4 numbers? Tech Tweaker, your saying to leave the MHz alone, it's reading 800 because I have 2 1600MHz dimms and it'll be split between the two?

Last edited:
on the speed thats just how it's displayed.

yes, change those four settings please.

Alright, here goes nothing!

I'm going to attempt to correct my memory settings, make sure my system is running fine, and then I'll run memtest afterwards. I'm going to let it run overnight though because it's getting late for me.

I'll update you guys tomorrow. I appreciate everything, I'm feeling pretty good about this. =)

Tech Tweaker, your saying to leave the MHz alone, it's reading 800 because I have 2 1600MHz dimms and it'll be split between the two?

No, it would be reading the same speed even if you only had one memory stick inserted. It does not split the speed between the two sticks (or multiply it based upon number of sticks in the system).

No, it would be reading the same speed even if you only had one memory stick inserted. It does not split the speed between the two sticks (or multiply it based upon number of sticks in the system).

Important to note that it does multiply that speed by the number of channels being used (not to be confused with the number of memory sticks inserted). That is why your XMP-1600 profile reads 800MHz, as that is what each stick can run.

Important to note that it does multiply that speed by the number of channels being used (not to be confused with the number of memory sticks inserted). That is why your XMP-1600 profile reads 800MHz, as that is what each stick can run.

It isn't based on the number of channels used. It's DDR - "Double Data Rate" RAM. That's why the speed in CPUz is half of the rated speed.

It isn't based on the number of channels used. It's DDR - "Double Data Rate" RAM. That's why the speed in CPUz is half of the rated speed.

Yes, but "Double Data Rate" assumes a dual channel configuration. On an x79 or x99 platform, if you utilize quad channel, you effectively double the DDR rated speed of your memory. So if you run 1600MHz rated memory in quad channel, you will effectively be running at 3200MHz.

CPUz sees what the individual stick is rated at, in this case 800MHz. It doesn't become "Double Data Rate" until two sticks can be utilized in parallel.

Yes, but "Double Data Rate" assumes a dual channel configuration. On an x79 or x99 platform, if you utilize quad channel, you effectively double the DDR rated speed of your memory. So if you run 1600MHz rated memory in quad channel, you will effectively be running at 3200MHz.

CPUz sees what the individual stick is rated at, in this case 800MHz. It doesn't become "Double Data Rate" until two sticks can be utilized in parallel.

That is incorrect. Dual channel and quad channel pair sticks of RAM together to increase throughput.

It is called Double Data Rate because it double pumps the data to the stick. Even a single stick.
This is done by sending data on both the rise and the fall of the clock signal instead of just the rise.

Upon detailed research, that does seem to be the case. That isn't how my teachers in high school explained it, so thank you for pushing me to find the facts.

Your ram discussion has definitely cleared up a lot of my questions that I've always had about memory, haha. Thanks guys.

And sorry about the late reply, I ended up getting busy yesterday. Although, I was able to try out my computer and check on everything. Fortunately, everything seems to be working great. Haven't had a single freeze since I corrected my memory settings. =D

And also, I've learned that the Rocketdock I'm using to launch all my programs, folders, and files is part of the problem, not with the freezes but the program response time when launching docked items. On their website, they note that Windows 64 bit is not yet supported. Even though I have it installed and it works fine, that is the only reason I can think of why it would load docked items with a delay. Because anything I launch from start and from old fashioned shortcuts is lightning quick, no delay for splash screen or anything like that. What you think?

Another part of the problem I believe or I should say I agree with you guys about is my storage HDD, it is a WD Velociraptor 300GB 10000RPM but is very very old. I agree with this limiting some things not just because it's old though, but because I have my computer set up with a 3rd party theme and all 3rd party icons which are stored on my HDD. I'm sure I have other files that are used by my OS which are stored on my HDD too. This would probably limit file browsing wouldn't it? Especially if my OS has to load every icon from my HDD which is slower than my SSD? The icon files are essentially part of the OS now.

I'm sure it sounds ridiculous to some of you, lol. But everything is displayed beautifully this and keeps my files still organized. Haha If you guys agree that's it limits file browsing though, I'll definitely be moving out all dependent files from my HDD to my SSD.

Last question. Do you guys suggest I Dban my HDD? Because I never bought this new and I don't know what's on there. I only ask because you guys were leaning towards malware earlier from page 1.

EDIT: I just noticed the Thanks button, I'll have to go through and thank all you guys for your help! =D

Last edited:
A slow hdd that's used for storage won't cause system hangup you are describing. Run crystal disk mark on it, why are you "guessing"?

An icon would be a few kilobytes. Even if your hdd was running a craptacular 30mb/s that's still more than fast enough to load icons. Bet you get between 120-140mbps on crystal disk mark.

Unplug it; bet you still get the same issues.

A slow hdd will cause "loading lag" not a system freeze. In file explorer it will just take more time to load.

If the hdd isn't clean,it'll be time for a new hdd.

OK Bob. Thanks for your input. I will carry out all your recommendations.

Edit Update:
diskmark.png

Everything has been running great. I wouldn't even worry about my previous questions. I was just trying to eliminate every possibility from before that was suggested.

Thanks everyone for your prompt and continued help.

Big thanks to Caddi Daddi for looking through my specs so thoroughly and finding that mistake. I owe you one. If you guys have some sort of rep or input system besides the "Thanks", I'll definitely throw you some good feedback.

Because to be honest... I went to 2 other forums before coming to Overclockers and let's just say, they never figured out my issue. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Thats a bit slow for a raptor drive. May be indicative of it going bad. This is mine for comparison

crystal disk.png

Yeah, it is very old. I plan on getting another OCZ soon but this time I'll be getting the 480gb.

Back