• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new Intel 8th Gen Core i7-8700K Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think it boils down to what sense of "reality" one holds to. Personally, I have to wonder why test for something that never is? I suppose if I were in the sciences, that would not be a true statement, but as a person who has done multimedia of for over 20 years, my world doesn't necessarily need the "hard knocks" prime95 seems to like to pass out with this AVX offset stuff as currently offered. Besides, AVX would seem to be a method to use high overclocks on lighter loads with a facility to downclock the heaver ones automatically. That would mean trying to stress AVX past a reasonable point would really be using an opposite philosophy to the purpose for AVX -- Sort of an antithesis to it.

I'm just glad I can do overclocking without crashing now testing with prime96 small FFT's. It also opens up the possibility of testing for higher overclocks, using prime95, which I have used since I found it some many years ago.

-Rodger

If you think Prime95 AVX/FMA3 utilizes the CPU completely, You should try Intel linpack benchtesting. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-linpack-benchmark-download-license-agreement

Prime95 with the AVX/FMA3 instructions utilizes the floating point extensively and light utilization on the integer. Where as linpack utilizes floating point and integer fully. So with prime95 you can brows the web without slowdown in tasks. Then when linpack is bursting the browsing tasks slow and stop sometimes. Programs are mostly integer based unless they have calculations for math and science then that is floating point mostly. Games use integer and floating point however the data is slowed by system memory and the process of multitasking. Howsoever, when stressing floating point unit mostly the basic numbers fit into high speed cache, so not using the main memory much causes a slow down of data fed to the processor like most integer programs. So linpack and prime95 AVX/FMA3 is worst case, it keeps the FPU transistors busy.

Yeah I quit using prime95 after I saw it fail after 12 hours, twice. I use intel burn test, which utilizes the linpack library. Quick, clean, and it gets your cpu toasty for sure :thup: I use the "high" setting, and up.

I've downloaded it and will try it. I have to say though, with the AVX turned off in the newer prime95 versions, it feels like it's doing a good job, and not trying to break my CPU, HA!

-Rodger

You can also just lower the AVX strain by changing the AVX offset in bios. That way it will run full bore in non AVX stress testing but a little slower when it encounters AVX programming code.

Thanks for the replies everyone over this thread. It was a bit of a journey, but I believe I have what I wanted to have and am pleased with how it all turned out. I used my computers for a few different things mainly and 2 of them require strong performance with little to no latency to do well. I was having problems with my Bulldozer in many ways, even though I had a good clock on it. This intel 8700K seems very much faster with no apparent lag that I can notice. I did a bit of video editing yesterday just to test how well it would process and all I can say is WOW! Use to be a good render time was 2 to 3 times real time, this little test I did yesterday rendered in less then 1/4 real time! That is 8 to 12 times faster then my Bulldozer would have done the same job. I recently switched from Premiere Pro to Resolve, which sped up rendering time all by it self, but this is so much faster I have to believe Resolve must be largely designed for the newer intel chips, over AMD's FX line. Either that, or having 12 threads running at 5.1GHz is just this much faster then having 8 threads running at 4.8GHz, HA!

The other problem this upgrade resolved (play on words a bit) was making use of my recently purchased Samsung Odyssey Mixed Reality Headset, which never really worked with my Bulldozer setup for some reason. Now, it works fine and is amazing to use. More content is being ported to Mixed Reality headsets and some of the funner ones we have for the Vive headset now play just fine on the Odyssey. Fun stuff.

I have lots of work to continue on here at the house, so I will most likely not be back on here too much, at least until the home theater gets finished. Been 2 years working on it, and took almost a year off to rest a bit, and to finish the bathroom and sauna, which is the second major part to this whole basement project. Anyways, thanks again for the helps.

-Rodger

I have to believe Resolve must be largely designed for the newer intel chips, over AMD's FX line.
...or AMD's CPUs were that much slower clock for clock and you are running around 5 GHz. ;)

Enjoy your rig Rodger, thanks for taking us on the long journey with you. :)

Back