• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my NewB shines: E6850 or E6750 for best OC w/Ballistix: Mult. What Mult!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I just had advice from a curious salesperson on the phone tell me that I may be better off with an E6850 cpu vs. the E6750 because of the multiplier. One is, the E6750, doesn't? While pricing it was this he said was the reason for the $100 diff in price. Best I have found in TO $190/$270 sale now. I already have 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix 6400s and a Asus P5K-E-WiFI-AP mobo. So I am new to the inside guts of overclocking, so is it better for me to get the E6850(3.0GHz/1333) vs. the E6750(2.66GHz/1333), not for the outright GHz (3.0-2.66=0.34GHz) , but for unlocking the oc potential, therefore GHZ + OC(GHz + RAM). I am not sure what my absolute (number) target is and I can't give you a number, but it is a 24/7, stable, all day everyday, never change, game/play(surf/dl)/work(MSOffice) rounded down to the nearest 0 or 5 last digit increment. I'll supply the cooling, whatever it takes. Already have a minimum of a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu.

Last time I really screwed myself by buying a P42.6C not a P42.4C, and I hate myself. It (2.6) OCd only half above stock as much as the 2.4. But there was no multiplier thingy to worry about then with either the 2.4C or 2.6C, afaik.

I understand the E6850 and E6750 to be similar overclockers. But NOW, hours before I want to buy. STOP- get the one with the multiplier. But I thought I just said they were the same. Luck. What about this multiplier thing. What? Greeeat. And I have my mobo, and RAM, and know my goal. I already decided against the PC2-8500 in favour of the PC2-6400 Ballistix. Not sure if this and the multiplier are my problem or not. Help, so, whatya say?

Last edited:
Uhm, if I understand you correctly (I'm not sure that I do) then you will want either an E6750 or a Q6600. The E6850 is sort of a lame duck at it's price point.

If you bought DDR2 800 chances are you will be limited by your ram/fsb unless you cooling stinks. That's not a bad place to be in though. If we assume you can get at least 450mhz out of your ram that's 3.6ghz with a 6750. Just a tad of 4ghz with a 6850, but that might be a bit of a stretch.

You'll save money with the 6750 and probably see the same results, at most a 200-300 mhz difference on the topend if you have great cooling.

so I am NOT now in a position where:

I have just learned that I should have bought the PC2-8500 RAM instead if I wanted to save on the cpu with the E6750, OR that I am stuck with having to buy a E6850 to mate with the PC2-6400 to get my (the) sweet-spot oc percentage of these component series'.

OR that the PC2-8500s would be better with either the E6850 or E6750 (as a GHz oc %age).

OR the E6750 will NOT have the ability, due to a lack of a variable multiplier (as a GHz oc %age).

IOW the percentage (ie say 25% greater than EITHER 2.66 or 3.0) of oc will be the same overall with 6400s/6750 vs any other combo. And not one component is theoretically flawed in this pursuit.

I am ok with:
(i)6400s vs. 8500s,
(ii)E6750 vs. E6850.

Thats the f'ing last thing in the world I want to do again. Important. I have asked specifically indicatively and had this type of question ignored before (my previous build; everything was pimped wrong!!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The 6400 CBs all oc between 1100 and 1200, luck of the draw equally likely to be closer to either. I do believe the timings are not beaten iirc. I will supply enough cooling as req. depending on oc or noise. Under these circumsatnces

I have not yet opened the CBs.

24/7 stable work play round down cool quiet respectable advantageous oc wanted. With NO component mismatches. But nothing overspend anyway either.

Last edited:
The 24/7 you'll probably get to w/ either chip will be around 450FSB. That's 3.6GHz w/ the 8 multi on the e6750, or 4GHz w/ the e6850 and it's 9 multi. If the extra few hundred MHz is worth $100 to you then go for the e6850. If not go w/ the e6750.

450FSB is going to set your RAM at 900MHz if you run 1:1. The 6400's will do that easily, so you are fine going w/ them w/ either chip. You can get the 8500's if you want to run your RAM at another FSB;DRAM ratio, but you will see little to no performance increase by running your RAM faster than the FSB. The smart money is on the 6400's no matter which CPU you pick.

Personally, I'd rather get a quad then either one of those chips (G0 x3210 - $250, G0 Q6600 - $270), but that is a personal preference. Twice the cores for about the same amount of money.

not worth the price difference imo, just get the E6750, but if you need some more power, get Q6600, which i doubt it. You can spend the ~80 you don't spend on th eE6850 on a better video card.

ya, I think its a pretty basic question with pretty simple variables. Its like an automobile. Select gear, apply throttle. But now its 4 wheel drive, which I've never had. So I'm sliding all over the place. Help.

ya, I think its a pretty basic question with pretty simple variables. Its like an automobile. Select gear, apply throttle. But now its 4 wheel drive, which I've never had. So I'm sliding all over the place. Help.

I spent a LONG time researching what to get, so if you want my advice just look at my sig. :beer:

I spent a LONG time researching what to get, so if you want my advice just look at my sig. :beer:
Quick question about those Xeons (not to take away from the thread at all), are they able to run on regular desktop chipsets? Or do I have to get a server mobo???

-Mobious-

Back