• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my Q6600-is it damaged

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

I recieved my comp from ETCcomputer and the overclocking seems to be botched. I get readings of 356x6 instead of 356x9 whixch it says on the screen when it displays how much ram and my cpu speed as im booting up. is the processor screwed up or is it just the cheap mobo that i have? (GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L) I am upgrading my mobo to ASUS P5K/EPU. and instead of the 9500 zalman i am putting in a OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler. is this going to gain me some performance or is my cpu screwed?

I recieved my comp from ETCcomputer and the overclocking seems to be botched. I get readings of 356x6 instead of 356x9 whixch it says on the screen when it displays how much ram and my cpu speed as im booting up. is the processor screwed up or is it just the cheap mobo that i have? (GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L) I am upgrading my mobo to ASUS P5K/EPU. and instead of the 9500 zalman i am putting in a OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler. is this going to gain me some performance or is my cpu screwed?

Your processor is fine. It's called EIST. It's Intel's power saving protocol. When not under full load, you go down to 6x to lower your electricity build. Run OCCT or Prime95, you'll see it jump up to 356x9.

Your processor is fine. It's called EIST. It's Intel's power saving protocol. When not under full load, you go down to 6x to lower your electricity build. Run OCCT or Prime95, you'll see it jump up to 356x9.

using performance test 64 bit the score for the cpu is only 100 points higher than a q6600 clocked at 2400. cpu mark in this test scores 2710. its still fine?i used prime 95 a few days ago and it crashed in 2 minutes

The first cpu went to 95c within a minute of running the program. The multiple didnt jump to 9 under stress. the cpu clock says 2136 (356x6) which is below the 2400 at stock speed.

I wouldnt worry about the multi when you CPU is hitting 95C, sort that out first. fist off make sure the heatsink is on right, then check the thermal grease.

I wouldnt worry about the multi when you CPU is hitting 95C, sort that out first. fist off make sure the heatsink is on right, then check the thermal grease.

Its because the ****en fan wasnt tied down properly i think. im sending ti to the jerks who sold it to me to make sure everything is fine. also... upgrade my motherboard and fan. is there something i can ask for them to put inside the case to lessen the risk of it becoming loose again?

the big question here is: why is it benching at 2.4ghz levels when its oced to 3.2?

the big question here is: why is it benching at 2.4ghz levels when its oced to 3.2?
If the heatsink isn't making proper contact, it will overheat the processor. When it hits a certain temperature, it will use thermal throttling, basically dropping the multi and voltage to keep it from dying. If you are getting that high of temps, you *need* to get that fixed ASAP (as in, do it yourself ;)) so you don't break something.

If the heatsink isn't making proper contact, it will overheat the processor. When it hits a certain temperature, it will use thermal throttling, basically dropping the multi and voltage to keep it from dying. If you are getting that high of temps, you *need* to get that fixed ASAP (as in, do it yourself ;)) so you don't break something.

wouldnt it go back to the 9 multiple once rthe processors are below that temp?

Back