• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my ram cooling concept.advice in presenting it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure about this, but I seem to recall you can't get a patent on something that combines two existing processes. Not that your looking to do that anyway. It does look like agreat idea that would have a market with serious enthusiasts at the right price.

Hell, run water lines to it and Cathar may build it himself. Send the stuff to him, as he's pretty personable, and see if he has anything to add. He also seems knowledgeable about all cooling in general, not just water.

Bhugarov said:
I will try to find an article for you that shows you how to build a heatpipe (it's for a CPU block, but the same concept).
The copper tubing is easy to bend, and readily available at any good hardware store or home center. You can fill it with fine sand to avoid crimping it, or better yet get a small tubing bender set from K&S at a hobby shop. It's just a set of very flexible springs that you slide over the tubing to prevent kinks...been using it for many years for modeling etc.
You then need to fill it with distilled water, and bleed all air out through a valve.
The fins will be the most time consuming part because copper is so maleable and tends to burr, and kink very easily. If you make a simple jig, you could probably make them at home with limited tools. The idea is to make them a little over-sized and put one or two hole in them to allow for fixturing, and stacking a few at a time. Then you can do the actual holes to pass the pipe thru, and make another jig to hold the pipe, and align the fins as you slide them on to solder them one at a time.When the fins are all punced-out you can re-size them. When I get time I will try to whip up sketch and PM you. :cool:
sounds very do-able but im not so sure thats how heatpipes or the best heatpipes work or are made.it needs to be efficient of a pipe as possible do to the fact the ic's dont generate nearly the heat a cpu does.

i sent cather a pm a few days ago.
altho im sure h20 cooling is possible it would take a serious redesign.cost would go up due to machining requirements.but possibly just useing copper tubing would work but not as efficiently.
if he wants to build it more power to him.

mabey ill take a look at making an h20 version on photoshop but will take some thinking of the best way to accomplish a good cooler.

similier looks for h20.
useing copper lines under the spreaders.
heat transfer clips would need designed and soldered onto the pipes.
this would be a cheap route or version.
the second would be much more expensive and require alot of machining.

these arent anything im too interested in building myself.for 1 i dont use h20 anymore.

Last edited:
For WC, the heatpipes would just be another thermal barrier between the RAM chips and the water. And if there's room for a heatpipe, there's room to run the water directly to the chips.

Otter said:
For WC, the heatpipes would just be another thermal barrier between the RAM chips and the water. And if there's room for a heatpipe, there's room to run the water directly to the chips.
the pipe is above the pcb and there is no room below to add anything without sacrificing slot choices or creating other size limitations else where.

i have no interest in doing anything with h20,i just did that as others expressed it and i passed along my idea's.

a small update as it seems an ocz main engineer is going to be looking at my design.
seems one concern ive heard is cost would go up on sticks using this.
and i agree yes it would.

from a pm i sent:
yes price would be alot more than plain spreaders,but seeing the cost of high end ram being a specialty item as it is,an add-on as such wouldnt phase many buyers. as we both know cooling ic's increases ocing.
1.the customer is happy he gets higher oc.
2.ocz could in theory make higher spec'ed sticks.
3.uniqueness that does more than just look cool is always a plus.

we all know hardly anything is free and when you want the best you pay for it.
i think these would be ann add-on item or only on certain stix like LED's are added to only select sticks now.but my idea gets you mhz not more lights. :)

ColtIce said:
I have a heatpipe from a thermaltake giant gpu heatsink you can have.PM your address and I'll mail it to you wednesday if you want it.
it needs to meet a few specs tho.
10-12" being rather soft i should be able to take some bends out.
you guys want me to build one dont ya! lol once i have a pipe i see no reason why i couldnt tho.

cj4 i may need to swap a stick of your bh5 for my tcc5 for a few days testing once its done.id rather keep it to one stick as i can keep my rig up while things are in the mail.

coltice ill send you a pm.

Hmm, this certainly is an interesting idea. I just don't see a real need for cooling that intense for RAM. Putting a fan above the sticks as some people have begun to do seems to be more than sufficient. If there are people out there who are overheating their RAM this could be a very successful solution.

Scott9027 said:
Hmm, this certainly is an interesting idea. I just don't see a real need for cooling that intense for RAM. Putting a fan above the sticks as some people have begun to do seems to be more than sufficient. If there are people out there who are overheating their RAM this could be a very successful solution.
its not so much an issue here but still it exists. this thread is just above this and i posted in it.http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=403523

talk about timeing?! i have nothing to do with that post except what i posted.
this mainly affects the guys like at http://www.xtremesystems.org/ who push every last mhz they can out of everything.

ive seen posts where guys are useing waterblocks and even ln2 cooling on sticks to get what they want.

I hope I'm not stepping out of bounds here but what if there were two heatpipes mounted about half way down the heatspreader on each side that then connected up top to fins that were horizontal so you could have the option of mounting a fan on them as well as less clearence issues.

ColtIce said:
I hope I'm not stepping out of bounds here but what if there were two heatpipes mounted about half way down the heatspreader on each side that then connected up top to fins that were horizontal so you could have the option of mounting a fan on them as well as less clearence issues.
im not exactly clear on what your idea is? can you draw a pic?

the way i have it designed it wouldnt be no thinker than existing spreaders are now.
the fins also need to be somewhat procted from smashing and bending also.
and if they are horizontal they would interfier with dimms next to them.
but im really not cleear on what your sujjesting?

btw i want any and all comments.if it makes it better we only gain :)

ColtIce said:
well after looking under the desk I see what your saying with the dimms next to each other.
i do have an idea which can put a duct on any side so that a fan above can deliver air to 1 or 2 dimms depending on the room.
but with so many configs and mobos that are out there it will need several options to get air to the fins effectivly.

room is the issue everyone has been fighing with.
ive seen some that used h20 blocks attached on the tp of the dimms.
problem was if he swicthed slots or even mobos the whole thing would need redisigned.
so even my h20 dimm cooler isnt perfect as i havent put much thought into it its better than many if not all designs ive seen that would and could be used market wide.

thats the thing i thought of this with a wide market usage in mind.
also protecting it and also keeping costs down.

but honestly i dont think there is anything air cooled out there that could come close to this design.

The Zalman passive hard drive cooler gives you a bunch of (~10) copper heatpipes 7-8 inches long for $20-$30. I will use that to build them. Actually, I am considering building it pretty small so I might not need to use heatpipes.

I, myself, would have no use for something like this in my current system. However, I could see this enabling companies to produce higher spec memory without burning them up. Maybe someday I'll upgrade and see this on some RAM somewhere. Good idea, and I hope it works out for you.

If you need some copper and can't find any PM me Around our house we have a lot of flat copper strap thats for grounding radio transmitters that would work for this.

Good idea though hope you can build it and get someone to implement it on there project.

deathstar13 said:
the pipe is above the pcb and there is no room below to add anything without sacrificing slot choices or creating other size limitations else where.
Well, wherever you can get the heatpipe, you might as well have direct water cooling there.

i have no interest in doing anything with h20,i just did that as others expressed it and i passed along my idea's.
I understand. I think a watercooled heatpipe on RAM is pretty pointless. But an aircooled heatpipe is promising. :)

a small update as it seems an ocz main engineer is going to be looking at my design.
seems one concern ive heard is cost would go up on sticks using this.
and i agree yes it would.
Cool. :cool: I'm fairly sure there will be a market for something like this eventually. I'm not sure if we're there yet, but people used to scoff at the idea of any sort of cooling for RAM, and now it's clearly needed.

deathstar13 said:
cj4 i may need to swap a stick of your bh5 for my tcc5 for a few days testing once its done.id rather keep it to one stick as i can keep my rig up while things are in the mail.

Sure, just let me know. If you just need one, no need to send me yours. Also, let me know if you want the heatspreaders on or off.

CJ

cotdt said:
The Zalman passive hard drive cooler gives you a bunch of (~10) copper heatpipes 7-8 inches long for $20-$30. I will use that to build them. Actually, I am considering building it pretty small so I might not need to use heatpipes.
i forgot about those,and yeh they would be about perfect for this.

speed bump,im gonna need to find a sheet of copper for this.
from what i see this could be made with the sheet being stamped out and folded to give the desired needs.
this way saves on costs and man hours which is usually the most expensive part of anything.

Otter, there is no heatpipe in the h20 design.its 2 copper tubes the diameter of the heatpipe being used to run h20 threw.they cool the spreaders directly.

CJ4-ill contact you once i have a prototype near completion.
the best way would be with spreaders on and removable.this way i could test them for heat dissapation quality of spreaders also.even tho i wont be able to replace the thermal pads.
this way im not just having your ram sit around.
ill only be able to give them 3.15v max due to that my mobos max vdimm.
unless this takes me a full month to get that far and which in that time id hope to have a dfi nf4 to use.

Back