• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My temps are bothering me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bisquik

Registered
well i had an OC of 4.6 that had alright temps however, ever since i had to remove my motherboard and replace the the stock thermal paste that came with the H100I to Arctic silver 5. they have seemed off every time, i've reapplied it multiple times. with different methods rice, pea, line, and i still can't find a sweet spot. I've had to revert back to stock clocks as my cpu was getting up to 61 62 degrees and the package 60+ this is what i'm getting at stock. running prime for 20 mins. ambient temp is 74.3 F

Attachments

• cpuid.PNG
    cpuid.PNG
    24 KB · Views: 93
  • cpu-z.PNG
    cpu-z.PNG
    35.6 KB · Views: 91
  • memory.PNG
    memory.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 90
  • mem.PNG
    mem.PNG
    30.3 KB · Views: 91
well, in the 60's range @4.6GHz, I'd say you're fine.

Edit: BTW, your RAM latency are way too high! 11 instead of 9...

It seems that PD/BD can go higher temp wise than Phenoms. I'd say yes, you're OK.

It seems that PD/BD can go higher temp wise than Phenoms. I'd say yes, you're OK.
I agree with Manu to a point, it does seem as if thee Fx cpu's are tougher then the Phenoms, though I don't think it would be wise to be running it 24/7 at 60c.We don't know the long term effects of what that may be. Those temps do seem a bit high for an H100I I would think you would be getting better ones then that. What Cpu V core are you using for 4.6?

I agree with Manu to a point, it does seem as if thee Fx cpu's are tougher then the Phenoms, though I don't think it would be wise to be running it 24/7 at 60c.We don't know the long term effects of what that may be. Those temps do seem a bit high for an H100I I would think you would be getting better ones then that. What Cpu V core are you using for 4.6?

Woops i meant 1.40

Last edited:
Since you are saying the temps were alright before applying the new thermo paste, I'd have to say its probably a contact issue between the water block and the cpu lid. Of course it is important to torque the retaining screws down evenly when attaching the waterblock, to eliminate any voids in the interface.

Did you clean the top of the cpu and the waterblock with isopropyl alcohol or similar during the process?

I'm with storm-chaser on this. 1.4 vcore @4.6 60c on the package temp is just to high.
I would pull the block and clean it up squeeky clean, along with the cpu.
mount it up dry and inspect the mounting with a bright flashlight.

Since you are saying the temps were alright before applying the new thermo paste, I'd have to say its probably a contact issue between the water block and the cpu lid. Of course it is important to torque the retaining screws down evenly when attaching the waterblock, to eliminate any voids in the interface.

Did you clean the top of the cpu and the waterblock with isopropyl alcohol or similar during the process?

yep cleaned both waterblock and lid with alcohol each time i reapplied. waited for it to evaporate and even wiped it with a microfiber cloth to make sure it was dry and always alternated sides when torquing down the screws.

When you say your temps seemed "alright" did you actually know what they were or did you just judge this by they way the computer was running?

A little food for thought...

...just a little remembering back in time and what we found out about the H-80s and H-100s.

I think it is all outlined in the graphic itself.

FX83.jpg

so I overclocked to 4.4 just to give you a comparison of what they get after 1 min with prime, they sky rocket so quickly.

Attachments

• 4.4.PNG
    4.4.PNG
    43.3 KB · Views: 61
When you say your temps seemed "alright" did you actually know what they were or did you just judge this by they way the computer was running?

before at 4.6 CPU would get 59 and package in the mid to low 40's

Bisquik the Hwmonitor post in #1 when was that taken? What alarms me is also what RGone pointed out. If you look at your Cpu temp in #1 it is 10c above the package temp, this is usually what we see with these chips. If you look at the relationship of the same temps in post #13 the package temp exceeds the Cpu temp. There is definitely wrong here, what exactly I'm not sure. Were there any other changes you made before you removed and replaced the TIM?

the first post with HWmonitor is Stock clock Optimized settings, and i did that yesterday running prime for 20mins. the second is from today when i wanted to show just how high and fast the temps get it was OC'd to 4.4 on stock volts and i literally ran prime for 30-45 seconds. i made no other changes other then replacing the thermal paste.

i am doing NB oc to try and get better single threaded performance out of each core. would that have anything to do with it ?

It most definitely would depending on how high you go. I had mine up around 2750 and the extra speed combined with the extra volts for stability raised my temps about 5°!!

Back