• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MY WC loop is not performing as well as I would hope

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cool thanks for your suggestions. I did somethin which is probably not recommended but sacrificed a couple of ins to mount one of the fans... still did not effexct temps at all.. .but when I mounted the nidec its fatty so I had no crews that would go through it.. so instead I cut off some wire hanger and punched it through knocking out a couple of fins to do so and just bent the wire once it got through the other side.

Just want to point this out that doing so did not effect anything in any way, and when looking for ways t o mount the fan, well it was ghetto and cheap but it worked.

BTW - Were you saying res -> pump -> rad -> block as jph1589 suggested? No reason that can't work ...

Yah, thats my next step. ALthoug hteh vinegar solution bath I think is going to happen before I try that... I was wooried about placement before because of havingthe storm that because of using impingement jets that it HAD t o be right after the pump, not thinking that flow might not be different throughout the loop... still do not know for certain what is right but will try de"gunking" the loop before anything else. Lso any suggestions on additive?

I been using distilled and 10% prestone. will HO2 add a good antialgae formula too it? Or should I do the pop thing and spring for some water wetter forumla?

Neur0mancer said:
Lso any suggestions on additive?

I been using distilled and 10% prestone. will HO2 add a good antialgae formula too it? Or should I do the pop thing and spring for some water wetter forumla?
Distilled and 10% Prestone is fine. The only other suggested additive is a few drops of iodine solution for it's anti-algae properties. Some people insist it has to be proviodine, which is different from the "common" iodine/alcohol solutions found in first aid supplies, but I haven't seen a good explanation for using one over the other. Maybe one of our gurus can chime in about it?

Graystar said:
The Storm isn't painted if that's what you're thinking ...

QuietIce said:
The only other suggested additive is a few drops of iodine solution for it's anti-algae properties. Some people insist it has to be proviodine, which is different from the "common" iodine/alcohol solutions found in first aid supplies, but I haven't seen a good explanation for using one over the other. Maybe one of our gurus can chime in about it?

The only real reason to avoid alcohol is that alcohol can react with some acrylic and cause problems. This is somewhat debated, but I think that the general concensus is to avoid alcohol if you have acrylic in your loop.

Graystar said:
When have you ever seen a heatsink with a painted base?
I was just quoting the OP, don't shoot the messenger. :)

I personally have never seen a coated base but my old 486-50, which I ran across today while rummaging, has a black AL HS epoxied to it, why would they do that? :shrug: It's not like computers back then were put on display like they are today and it can't be good for heat dissipation (unless it's some of that "thermo-conductive paint" :p) ...

Yah there are lots of heatsinks with coated bases. Newest heatisnk I have seen with one is the silverstone nitrogen series.

And no I didnt lap the storm, just cleaned it and pasted it.

I mentioned the paint thing because I wanted to know why Radiators are painted.

Back