• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n008 question about PSUs for a new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baodrin

Hey people, I have been scoping out your forums for a while and it did get me started on basic overclocking (enabled me to squeeze another 6 months of use of of my old components) However the time to upgrade is starting to creep up again. *sigh*

I need some advice about PSU's, I get the feeling that 430W thermaltake PSU I have been using for the last couple of builds just isnt going to cut the mustard.

This is my planned build (just a wishlist at the moment might change slightly):

Reusing my old Thermaltake Soprano case (1x90mm, 2x120mm case fans)
GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT Mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad Core (3.4GHz)
Thermaltake BigTyp 120 VX MODEL : CL-P0310 (cooling solution for the CPU)
G.SKILL 3x2gig DDR3 1600Mhz
GIGABYTE HD4890 OVERCLOCK 1GB x 2 (Via Crossfire)
3 x Sata HDD of various sizes (none below 1TB)
2 x optical R/W drives

I'm wondering if anyone has any input into what kind of PSU I would need? Im just guessing but I assume I need something along the lines of a 750 Watt would do the job? Yes before you ask I will be doing some overclocking on this build.

Was thinking either a:

THERMALTAKE Toughpower 750W
ZALMAN 750watt HEATPIPE COOLED

I really am a noob when it comes to power supplies, dont really know much about what is required.

Thanks in advance guys

Before someone else says it Corsair 750w or 850w even the 1000w modular if you're feeling sassy

loot at brands like corsair, antec , enermax ,Pc Power and Cooling , all those are good choices and will give you least problems , Toughpower is ok too tho .And yeah you range is around 700 watts .

Also PII's use dual channel DDR3 not triple channel , get a set of 2x2GB sticks 1600mhz cas 7 .Other then that looks good .

I would go for the Corsair TX750 but if you have the budget the TX850 would give more room for future upgrades. If your wanting a modular PSU then look at the HX series.

CharlieCS is correct about the RAM. tripple channel is only good for the Intel i7.

hmm, i woudln't recommend the Thermaltake PSU. they'll get the job done, but if it was me, i'd either want a Corsair or Antec in my system ;)

looks like you have money to burn, so treat yourself with a high end Corsair HX750 (one of the best in terms of stability and efficiency) or an Antec Signature 850w. these are my favourite PSUs, but they do cost a fair bit lol.
if you can fit it in your budget, i'd be putting these in my builds.

lol yeah. i wuodln't complain if i had either an Antec or Corsair.

take a look here for all the quality PSUs ppl recommend, and what you shuold stay awa from:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=589708

personally i'd get an Antec sig 850w over the Corsair HX-850, purely because i want an Antec...everybody else has Corsairs these days :p lol.
but it's up to personal preference, as both Antec and Corsair make quality PSUs.

Ok I've taken some of your guys advice and doing some more research

CORSAIR TX750W Power Supply 750Watt is certainly the cheaper option for me

but if I still have cash to burn

ANTEC TruePower QUATTRO 850watt

ANTEC SIGNATURE 850watt

There doesn't really seem to much difference between the two ANTEC's that I can see... what is the difference other than glossly black exterior vs yellow/black.

The signature supposed to be one of the best power supplies made, but I have a TPQ-850 that has also run fault free for a long time I installed in a friend of mines cheap gaming rig he asked me to build.

Cheap for him at any rate for the PSU, but I've been using it awhile so I threw it at him to put the CP-850 in here.

I changed to a CP-850 as I had an Antec 1200 to put it in to begin with and Oklahoma liked them so well and had been wanting to try one out :)

The Corsair would do great, but if you to spend the cash and get top of the line I'd say the Signature, every one of them are hand tested I believe and certified, hence the signature moniker.

If you read a few other posts I believe Oklahoma recommended this one as a full modular, not sure if that was the only reason, but PSU's are his thing.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Last edited:
Wouldn't recommend TX750, it's ripple goes up to 100mV which is too much. For comparison, Signature doesn't go above 30mV or so. Antec TruePower New too, and they are both more efficient...

HX is different story tho...

The new Seasonic M12D series is meant to have mad efficiency values and as quiet as they get.

Seasonic is the OEM for Corsairs HX series up to the 850W model by the way.

Wouldn't recommend TX750, it's ripple goes up to 100mV which is too much. For comparison, Signature doesn't go above 30mV or so. Antec TruePower New too, and they are both more efficient...

HX is different story tho...
yeah i was never a fan of the the TX750. The new HX750 and HX850 are much more appealing, especially since they're modular...and perform better :santa:

i like the True Power New seires as well...but OP, if you're into the modular business, the TP New PSUs are only 'half' modular, as all the cables you need are already hardwired.

I think you'd probably get better value cooling looking a a Xigmatek S1283 or Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer heatsink, provided they fit in your case.

Back