• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b Cuda Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomWoolford

Registered
So I'm sat here wondering what is the Science behind why Cuda Jobs run so Much faster than Regular CPU Jobs.

Pardon the dumb question, I'd just like to get to know more about what my Computer is actually doing :p

Btw, I'm new here, so be nice!

Bottom line: GPU has become so much more advanced it can outperform CPU in many functions, not just with 3D graphics. CUDA basically allows apps to use GPU as an extra CPU for complex number. The only drawback is some 3D games may stutter a bit if you keep BOINC (or any CUDA based apps) running at the same time.

BTW rfrman- is that an upturned table being used like a boat in your avatar?

:welcome: to OCF!

So I'm sat here wondering what is the Science behind why Cuda Jobs run so Much faster than Regular CPU Jobs.

Pardon the dumb question, I'd just like to get to know more about what my Computer is actually doing :p

Btw, I'm new here, so be nice!
They don't necessarily run faster. It all depends on the GPU. For example, my cheap-o 8400GS crunches units slower (takes about 33% longer) than a single core of my old Opty 165 because the 8400GS doesn't have very many parallel paths compared to more expensive graphics cards. Those parallel processing paths are the key to why many apps run quicker (in general) compared to a strictly CPU application, the GPU can perform many repetitive tasks at once. But keep in mind the GPU does NOT run independently like the CPU does. It's a great piece of hardware but, so far at least, it cannot run apps all by itself.

My opinion about processors in general: If we didn't have to continue supporting x86 code CPU's would be much, much faster than they are but trashing it completely would be very, very expensive ...

Last edited:
Well I'm actually using a 9800GT to crunch, and from what I've seen, the Regular CPU based Jobs take about 4.5 Hours on Average Per Job, (Athlon 5400+ X2 Black Edition) whereas the GPU will crunch the Cuda Jobs in about 30mins each. The Points are really adding up fast, because Overnight with just this computer running I've got almost 1,400 Points Pending, when over the past 2 years off and on of running Seti, I've only accumulated about 6,500 Points. Right now I'm trying to get my 8600GTS Running in my 2nd PCI-X 2.0 Slot for more crunching, but I guess I need some sort of Dummy Adapter to get Windows or BOINC to Be able to even see the card. :bang head

Welcome to the team (if you're crunching for Overclockers.com that is). If you haven't done so yet, I would download the optimization files from the lunatics website http://lunatics.kwsn.net/index.php?module=Downloads;catd=9
Grab one of the top 2 (unified installers) according to your operating system. Simply run the downloaded file and it will do all of the optimization work for you. During the procedure it will ask you what optimizations you want to install, my recommendation would be to check Astropulse V5 and Seti Enhanced CUDA. I don't run Multibeam on the CPU, you'll get about double the credit per CPU second running Astropulse. The work units will take ALOT longer, but it's worth it. So I uncheck the Multibeam box. Once the installer finishes, just close and reopen Boinc. Watch the messages tab and make sure you don't get any errors and you're good to go.
You will definitely need a dummy plug (or another monitor) to plug into the 8600GTS for it to be noticed by Boinc.

Well I'm actually using a 9800GT to crunch, and from what I've seen, the Regular CPU based Jobs take about 4.5 Hours on Average Per Job, (Athlon 5400+ X2 Black Edition) whereas the GPU will crunch the Cuda Jobs in about 30mins each. The Points are really adding up fast, because Overnight with just this computer running I've got almost 1,400 Points Pending, when over the past 2 years off and on of running Seti, I've only accumulated about 6,500 Points. Right now I'm trying to get my 8600GTS Running in my 2nd PCI-X 2.0 Slot for more crunching, but I guess I need some sort of Dummy Adapter to get Windows or BOINC to Be able to even see the card. :bang head
If your 5400+ is taking 4.5 hours you definitely need the optimizers! (Follow n-zane-b's link for those - your chip is AMD SSE3.) My old Opty's run a normal work unit (Multi-beam or MB) in about 1.5 hours using the AK-v8 optimizer. AstroPulse (AP) units take just over a day but they pay off much better. :) I run a mix, for now - if things get tight later I may switch to 100% AP.

What name do you crunch under ...???

I crunch under the Same name, Tom Woolford, and I am on the OC forums Seti Team.
Heres the link to my Rig
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=4963558

I'm definitely going to go install those optimizers. I'm kind of ashamed after seeing your Numbers now lol.

Edit: WHOAH.
Just Whoah. After installing that Patch, Everything is seeming to Crunch much faster. Including CUDA tasks it seems. Although it's not pulling any astropulse tasks even though I selected them.

Last edited:
Welcome to the team :beer:

You should see some nice improvment with the optimizers. One of my rigs has a 5200+ and I seem to recall it doing MB work units in about 1.5 hours on average.

Before I started using CUDA when I was still using stock un-optimized version of BOINC and when I still had my PC on 24/7 I was averaging 1k a day. Since using CUDA and optimizing, I'm hitting 2k a day and that's maybe at most 15 hours a day with some WOW gaming in the mix.

Edit: WHOAH.
Just Whoah. After installing that Patch, Everything is seeming to Crunch much faster. Including CUDA tasks it seems. Although it's not pulling any astropulse tasks even though I selected them.

Astropulse has been down for a few days now, they haven't been releasing any new work. That's why you're not seeing any download. It happens from time to time, so it'll be back up soon. You can install all the optimizations from the installer and then at a later date, you can choose to only crunch AP on the CPU. That way you can get at least some MB work for that CPU of yours :)

Another tip is to go into your Advanced/Preferences in the Boinc Manager and on the Network Usage page change your additional work buffer from .25 days to 10 days(max). This will download A LOT more work, and allow you to ride out small outages in work, without it effecting your RAC.

Ok, So I've been going through the Hardware I've got lying around trying to see if I've got enough for another Cruncher, and I've discovered I have a 939 Socket Opteron 180 lying around that my Father gave me when he upgraded to a C2Q. The only Problem is, The 939 Motherboard I have Appears to be shot. I'm debating on weather or not to buy a 939 Board that supports Opteron Cores off eBay (Since TigerDirect or Newegg no-longer carries 939 Motherboards). My only Concern is I would like to put a 9800GT on that board that I purchase, but I can't find any 939 Socket Board that Supports PCI Express 2.0 to get the full bandwidth of the card. It would be nice if there wouldn't be a Difference between the two for CUDA Crunching, but I never get that lucky. :confused:

Worst comes to worst, I'll just put another 9800GT alongside the one I already have for Dual GPU Crunching in my Main PC, but I'd sure like to put this Opteron to good use.

If anyone would Like to buy it, lemee know haha...

Last edited:
No difference between PCIe 16x 1.0 and 2.0 with a card like the 9800GT.

Most 939 boards will support a 939 opteron.

Ugh, I think the board is good. But I think It may need a Bios Update, and I can't update the bios with just a black screen, and I don't have a regular 939 Athlon to throw back in there to let me update the Bios! :bang head

Off to find a Really Cheap Athlon 939 Core lol.

Ugh, I think the board is good. But I think It may need a Bios Update, and I can't update the bios with just a black screen, and I don't have a regular 939 Athlon to throw back in there to let me update the Bios! :bang head

Off to find a Really Cheap Athlon 939 Core lol.
If the board will support an X2 it'll support your Opty - there's no real difference between them. Opty's have a higher quality control standard but otherwise they're the same as their X2 counterparts ...

If the board will support an X2 it'll support your Opty - there's no real difference between them. Opty's have a higher quality control standard but otherwise they're the same as their X2 counterparts ...

Yeah...but does it run at 45W like my dual-core X2! I love my power bill. Not one of my procs is over 45Ws!

Well I know it supports an X2, as i hat a 4800+ x2 in it, but in order to Support the Opteron 180 Core, it needs a newer Bios Revision, and I can't install that new Bios without having a CPU That works in the 1st place. I might be able to find an old Sempron off eBay, just something enough to let me Do EZFLash on the Bios, then throw the Opteron in. It's an Asus A8S-X Board.

Well I know it supports an X2, as i hat a 4800+ x2 in it, but in order to Support the Opteron 180 Core, it needs a newer Bios Revision, and I can't install that new Bios without having a CPU That works in the 1st place. I might be able to find an old Sempron off eBay, just something enough to let me Do EZFLash on the Bios, then throw the Opteron in. It's an Asus A8S-X Board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103672

Works well...and I have it stable OCd at 2.7-2.8Ghz on the stock crappy cooler. If I get a good one it would definately go higher. Oh it gets about 1,200 RAC for Seti, but with a cuda card could hit around 3k I am thinking.

Too bad that's an AM2 Core. I need a 939 Core haha....I think I'm just going to 86 this hardware and look for something a wee bit more up to date. It seems like it's not worth the headache.

Bottom line: GPU has become so much more advanced it can outperform CPU in many functions, not just with 3D graphics. CUDA basically allows apps to use GPU as an extra CPU for complex number. The only drawback is some 3D games may stutter a bit if you keep BOINC (or any CUDA based apps) running at the same time.

BTW rfrman- is that an upturned table being used like a boat in your avatar?

Yes it is an up turned table used as a boat.

Back