• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b question about fans on 4850s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bottomsup

I'm set on a 4850 and am trying to decide with one to get. It seems all brands are about the same, but I'm used to my X1900XT which exhausts hot air out the rear of my case.

The cheaper of the 4850s on popular sites have normal fans like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...on=SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 100245L Video Card

But for $20 more you could have this which has the exhaust out the back style fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...50 H485QT512P IceQ4 Turbo Video Card - Retail

My question is that extra $$ worth it for cooling that forces hot air out of the case? I tend to think it does since I have a Antec P150 case which is on the small side and my Q6600 already runs ~65C under load.

Or maybe I can get the cheaper card and superior aftermarket cooling for around the difference between the two?

TIA

Last edited:
I prefer fans that move the air out of the case ... espcially since my psu is on the bottom not the top so i don't want my hot gpu air going down on the psu. If the gpu is the last thing in the case and nothing below it it probably won't be a big deal. You could as a last resort get a small pci exhaust fan thingy for like $5 and put in a slot or 2 lower than the gpu and the air will then go in it and out the back and it will move it out. But still I prefer the gpu that moves it out...

If I were you, I would get that HIS HD4850 as its on sale this week for a really good price, its factory overclocked, and the HIS coolers are normally quite a bit better then the stock reference ones.

I prefer fans that move the air out of the case ... espcially since my psu is on the bottom not the top so i don't want my hot gpu air going down on the psu. If the gpu is the last thing in the case and nothing below it it probably won't be a big deal. You could as a last resort get a small pci exhaust fan thingy for like $5 and put in a slot or 2 lower than the gpu and the air will then go in it and out the back and it will move it out. But still I prefer the gpu that moves it out...

I appreciate your response, but hot air rises?

Huh?.......

I'm not sure I follow you on this one......Heat rises and therefore, anything below the GPU would be cooler than above it. Most modern cases in the recent past have exhaust towards the top or on top of the case, so heat exits the case as long as there some fans to move the air through the case.

I don't argue that dual slot exhaust isn't better since heat is removed from the equation, but your logic is a bit skewed. Hell, in a worst case scenario, you can cut a 80-120mm hole in the top of your case and drill 4 holes for the screws and mount an 80mm fan to exhaust heat out the top of the case. This may justify the price difference between a dual slot cooler and a regular cooler.

80-120mm fan: $10.00
Tools to cut hole, if you don't already own: $8.00
Feeling you totally tweaked your system on your own to minimize heat...........Priceless.......... :D :D

Unless the air is being blown in a specific direction or in a tight space and it has nowhere to go up.

I understand that, but if I was being facetious. He said his PSU was at the bottom of his case and he was worried about VGA heat getting to it. :beer:

Still....

Unless the air is being blown in a specific direction or in a tight space and it has nowhere to go up.

Even in the tight space of a Commodore 64, there will be a 20-30F or more difference from the bottom to the top of the case. Even a few inches can have dramatic heat variances. As far as the air flowing in a specific direction........I can't imagine anyone forcing hot air down......that would be like shoving air bubbles down in water............

As long as you have a nice case with good airflow, just go with the stock fan.

My peak GPU temp is 55 C with stock fan but thats because I have one of these:

A380-BK%20011.jpg

Wanted to follow up and let you guys know what I ended up doing. I just pulled the trigger on this Asus Model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272

$139 after discount code and free shipping. Factory overclocked to 680/2100. It's as cheap as the cheapest factory clocked card with reference cooler, so seems like a good choice for the price. Should be fun. Now I can get 2 gizillion FPS in CS:S :) Now hurry up and get here! :santa2::beer::santa::drool:

So I'm rocking this thing and it works great, but runs at ~95C after an hour or so of gaming. I read that these things run hot, but read other posts where people are claiming 60C load temps?

For realz? Should I be concerned?

I have good airflow I think. 1x 120mm exhaust ~50CFM in the case, 120mm slow exhaust on my PSU. 2x 92mm 5v intakes

so can that case take off vertically or does it need some runway space? :D

Its similar to the Harrier. It can take off vertically but because that consumes so much fuel and it can't take off that way fully loaded, they usually choose to do a normal rolling takeoff when runway space is available.

There's also a Navy version that's designed for a 3/4 nozzle position takeoff but that's not relevant because he clearly has the Air Force version.

Its a very impressive case, and it is capable of supersonic flight. It also has a low radar signature.

So I'm rocking this thing and it works great, but runs at ~95C after an hour or so of gaming. I read that these things run hot, but read other posts where people are claiming 60C load temps?

I have good airflow I think. 1x 120mm exhaust ~50CFM in the case, 120mm slow exhaust on my PSU. 2x 92mm 5v intakes

And ya you really ought to try to get the temps down.

I speak but do not do.

My temps are too high on everything. And surely, one day, I will cook something... Because I'm a cheap ******* and I don't buy high quality fans or enough fans ... ...

I really should though. I think I'm actually going to do that at some point... either that or clock my system down a little because the cooling in it really does blow...

Now Im ranting...

Did you increase the fan speed using CCC? You need to have the 8.10 drivers installed.

Did you increase the fan speed using CCC? You need to have the 8.10 drivers installed.

I have 8.10 installed and didn't mess with the fan control, but I have the Asus TOP with Glacier cooler so its non reference. GPU-Z shows the fan running in the 90%+ range during gaming sessions.

Is the Glacier cooler fan plugged into the card itself?

Maybe a re-mount of the cooler w/ some good TIM would help. 95C is way too hot. I got much better temps than that on the reference stock cooler w/ volt-mods.

Is the Glacier cooler fan plugged into the card itself?

Maybe a re-mount of the cooler w/ some good TIM would help. 95C is way too hot. I got much better temps than that on the reference stock cooler w/ volt-mods.

Yes its plugged into the card. I'll remount tonight. How annoying...I'm tired of taking stuff apart :)

Back