• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b question about fans on 4850s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting. So I haven't remounted with my AS3 TIM yet, but decided to try something.

For the last two years I've had the rear passive vent in my PC taped shut because I've always thought it would cause more air to be forced through the front which cools my drives. It would also stop hot air exhausted out of the back from being sucked back in since my PC is under my desk and hot air accumulates.

So....I removed the tape blocking the area highlighted below in red and just had a 2 hour gaming session. My max temps as graphed via CPU-Z are 5-10C lower. Max 89C and most of the time ~84C.

Still feels a bit high so I might change the TIM.

Two questions

1) Will removing the stock cooler and replacing the TIM void my warrenty? I'm not really worried about that since I regularlly hard mod mobos and vid cards, but I don't typically do it until I'm at a point that I'd buy a new one if I fried it. Problem is I've only had this card 2 weeks :)

2) Do you think it would make a difference if I moved that top PCI card down a slot to provide more room for the VGA cooler? I've kept them evenly spaced to help with heat. The bottom card is a Audigy2. The one just below the VGA is a Haaupauge TV Tuner that gets really hot.

TIA

Here's the pic of what I'm talking about....

img28001ir5.jpg
[/URL]

You could also try removing some of those slot covers on the slots you're not using. As long as you have the fans blowing in the front and out the back you shouldn't be closing up any holes. The air inside is always hotter.

Also, try cranking the fan to 100%. I don't think that fan gets too loud.

If the Tuner card gets hot you might try swapping the sound card and tuner card.

Also, placing a 120mm fan behind the HDDs blowing across all 3 cards, and out the back slots (if you removed the covers) might help a lot. I bet you have a hot pocket of air down there.

You could also try removing some of those slot covers on the slots you're not using. As long as you have the fans blowing in the front and out the back you shouldn't be closing up any holes. The air inside is always hotter.

If the Tuner card gets hot you might try swapping the sound card and tuner card.

Also, placing a 120mm fan behind the HDDs blowing across all 3 cards, and out the back slots (if you removed the covers) might help a lot. I bet you have a hot pocket of air down there.

Thanks I'll open those slots. Not sure how I'd secure a fan behind my drives, but I'll see what I can come up with.

I don't mean to threadjack but I have a similar question and decided to ask it here instead of creating a new thread:

I have an 8800GTS which exhausts some hot air out the back of the case but not all of it. A good amount is still exhausted inside the case where it heats up everything else in the case.

So here's my question: On the ATI 4850 and 4870 cards with a fan design that exhausts out of the rear of the case: Do they actually exhaust all of it out of the case, or is it like my 8800GTS which leaves about half of the exhaust inside the case?

I don't mean to threadjack but I have a similar question and decided to ask it here instead of creating a new thread:

I have an 8800GTS which exhausts some hot air out the back of the case but not all of it. A good amount is still exhausted inside the case where it heats up everything else in the case.

So here's my question: On the ATI 4850 and 4870 cards with a fan design that exhausts out of the rear of the case: Do they actually exhaust all of it out of the case, or is it like my 8800GTS which leaves about half of the exhaust inside the case?

The only one with full exhaust is the HSI I believe.

The 4850 doesn't exhaust out the back at all. It all goes inside.

I don't really care about how it exhausts b/c I just try to get the entire case flow such that its all getting pushed out anyway. I'll put my HR03GT up against any cooler that exhausts out the back.

Thx meng. I was skeptical, but I swapped the TV Tuner to the bottom and removed the empty rear slots and My temps droppped into the 70s. Max during a similar gaming session was ~82C.

Also hooked my Xigmatek 1283 and rear fan up to a rheostat and the loudest thing I hear when they are down is my raptor. When gaming i turn them up and it is still fairly quiet....very quiet considering i play with headphones on.

The 4850 doesn't exhaust out the back at all. It all goes inside.

I don't really care about how it exhausts b/c I just try to get the entire case flow such that its all getting pushed out anyway. I'll put my HR03GT up against any cooler that exhausts out the back.

Yea, the stock ones don't exhaust anything at all. The only cards to actually do any exhaust work are the HIS style dual slot coolers.

Thx meng. I was skeptical, but I swapped the TV Tuner to the bottom and removed the empty rear slots and My temps droppped into the 70s. Max during a similar gaming session was ~82C.

Also hooked my Xigmatek 1283 and rear fan up to a rheostat and the loudest thing I hear when they are down is my raptor. When gaming i turn them up and it is still fairly quiet....very quiet considering i play with headphones on.

My load temps don't go above 55C usually with a similar style cooler, but my case has a fan blowing right above the video card slot.

Temps in the 70s-80s aren't too bad, but you would't definitely do a lot better if your case had a side fan. If you're the case modding type I would suggest looking into creating your own side fan mounting.

hey sorry to go off topic, but i cant find how to adjust fan speed?
cant see it in the ccc anywhere, is there a dif program that can do this?

thnx.

hey sorry to go off topic, but i cant find how to adjust fan speed?
cant see it in the ccc anywhere, is there a dif program that can do this?

thnx.

You can find it in the CCC under OverDrive if you have Catalyst 8.10 or later installed.
You can also create a profile and edit it. details on how to do this are just about everywhere :) (look for 4850 profile fan speed)

What also works is RivaTuner, you can use this to overclock the card, and make fan speed profiles that go along with clock speeds or temperatures.

Back