• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b with sempron, advice sought

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok we have another candidate
HDXB93WFK4DGI
i cant see wether or not my mobo supports it though i cant see it on the list but i only have the tray code not the box, does anyone here no if it would work with an ecs mcp61m-m3 at all? other cpus from same family are supported but....
thanx lads your lifesavers more than once

ok, now i have on route to me 1 amd phenom ii x2 550be for the princly sum of £26.15 including unused heatsink and fan and postage (yay ebay!) possible unlock to x3 or x4 and unlocking overclocking options in my mobo due to the black editions unlocked multiplier.
i am now on the look out for a better mo bo and graphics card thinking of a older hi spec card any suggestions? it is to run on a hd ready 37" tv.
in a few days i will be starting to play!

Look at motherboards with the 870 and 880 chipsets. The 870 chipset will have no onboard graphics so you will need a video card. Stay away from MSI and ECS.

1. > I would certainly buy another mobo to really push the 550BE if that is what you intend to do.

2. > How much do you think you will spend for a 'good' overclocking motherboard.

3. > How much do you think you will spend for a 'good' but reasonably priced video card. For a 37 inch TV type monitor and good frame rates, I do not think an el cheapo video card would do. Someone far more familiar with video cards may have a better answer.

4. > ON what site do you buy your REtail parts. New Parts. Unless you want to cross-reference every suggestion to a place where you buy to see if a recommendation is even available there, then linking us to the site you will buy from is just being ahead of the game.

http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&gid=5

http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk/

local pc shops that i use a fair bit was thinking 6450 2gb or 6670 or something else older and 2nd hand on ebay a max of £70 -80 same for motherboard price wise but been loooking at the extreme 3 970 on cougar looks the part to me but im open to suggestions

Hard to say which way "you" should go there. I see the Asus M5A9 on one of those sites and I see the Asrock 970 Extreme 3 on the other selling site.

For "me" it would be the Asus since I like that brand better and their motherboards have users all over the internet for help if I have a problem. The Asus seems to have a little heftier VRM circuit, but not by much over the Asrock 970 Extreme 3. Overclocking takes a good VRM circuit. However you are not browsing at the 'top' of the motherboard chart anyway, so there maybe little difference either way.

I don't think you would be upset with either one.

I would get as much video card as I could afford that my power supply had power outputs to fit the video card. So much of gaming is dependent on the video card and not the mobo or cpu anyway.

so, for around £80, what card would you reccomend?
it seems to me i want radeon but jesus- there is so many of the things its not real!
im not really a serious gamer but i do like to play...gta 4, 5 when it lands need for speed dirt etc. i have also been advised to get a 2gb card because of the size of the tv and would also like cuda or amd equivilant (cant remember what its called atm!) because i do a LOT of transcoding video and have options in my softwares to punt it over to the gpu so i can still use my pc during...
my head hurts ;)

Last edited:

Help Me Choose An ATI video card. I plugged in some choices of use and out came three possible choices of current video cards.

When you use that link it may not show what I input and what were the three choices shown me, BUT you ought to be able to use the Help Me Choose menu from there.

Even after I posted the link here, and used the link, it was still showing the how I want to use the video card and the three cards recommended. Odd but it surely does. Now you can see what ATI suggests as a current video card based on your use.

thanx for the link rgone i had a quick look @ it earlier on
BUT the post man turned up with my 550 be!
so i whipped out the sempy and tried to place in my new cpu but it wouldnt drop in, i knew not to try to force it so called in re-enforcements (my uncle) who has just left.
my cpu had 4 bent pins and im (we're) pretty sure that it has a snapped pin but it works! it doesnt unlock when i tryed that it did not a lot and we had to clear the cmos but right now im happy! yay just off to read some oc'ing guides will be back later with questions!
thanx
popeye

popeyejohnson said:
just off to read some oc'ing guides will be back later with questions!

Forget the guides. That motherboard is and has proven to be a waste. Thought you said just a couple of posts ago, that you were getting a newer, non-Nvidia chipset motherboard. We went thru the links gave to motherboards and all that crap.

I went to g00gle and typed in your motherboard in ver 7.1 and the word 'overclocking'. Got results on 2.5 pages. You know what they were. NO ONE but YOU. Forget that board. Not worth wasting time on.

Just so you know what I meant about g00gle here are the first 10 results for overclcocking your motherboard and a waste for sure.

n00b with sempron, advice sought - Page 4 - Overclockers Forums
www.overclockers.com › Hardware › CPUs › AMD CPUs
10 posts - 3 authors - 5 days ago
>>ecs map61m-m3 v7.1 mo bo ... possible unlock to x3 or x4 and unlocking overclocking options in my mobo due to the black editions ...
10 posts - 3 authors - 5 days ago
>>ecs map61m-m3 v7.1 mo bo ... possible unlock to x3 or x4 and unlocking overclocking options in my mobo due to the black editions ...
8 posts - 3 authors - 5 days ago
7 posts - 3 authors - 5 days ago
3 posts - 2 authors - 5 days ago
5 posts - 3 authors - 5 days ago
2 posts - 2 authors - 5 days ago
>>ecs map61m-m3 v7.1 mo bo >>4gb (2x2 unmatched) ddr 3 ram >>500gb seagate sata2 hdd >>windows 7 ultimate x64. popeyejohnson is ...
9 posts - 3 authors - 5 days ago
9 posts - 3 authors - 5 days ago
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7264135
6 posts - 3 authors - 5 days ago

When your thread is the only one getting hits when your exact motherboard and revision is typed in, that means forget it.

oh no you mis understand me this boards last chance was unlocking an extra core in this cpu and it failed as it has done at absolutely everything else i have asked of it.
(just read it back you didnt misunderstand i just wasnt clear)
as a motherboard it makes a good melon
i have £150 for this and a g.c on friday and have yet to make a decision on the extreme 3 or m5a9 you reccomended its just now i have the cpu its sparked my interest again so im off reading guides
(my uncle who came to right the pins also told me this and is comming with me at the weekend to choose a board
the only thing i have been thinking is would it not be better to get a mobo with intergrated graphics for a hybrid crossfire? more is more yes? i dont know if i said that right but i think youll get me
thank you for your continued guidance though i am gratefull
popeye

@P_J aka popeyejohnson...you need to go into your user cp and the user profile section and at least put a country or side of the world or something there. For some reason I don't think you live in the Usa or the UK. Doing so gives us a better idea of what you can get and in general what you are most likely to have for computers around you.

The two mobos you linked earlier were both 9xx chipset type boards OR in other words they would allow for fitment of the later FX-series of processors which for many of us in parts of the world are the ONLY performance cpus we can still buy.

BECAUSE AMD has now released APU type cpu with gpu in the same container, the 9xx and the to come 10xx chipsets will NOT have a gpu in them. This means you have to buy backwards (not forwards) to get an AMD chipset motherboard that has the gpu built onto the motherboard itself. Many of those go backwards to get an AMD board with gpu on the board are not really good overclocking motherboards. Many of the AMD boards with built on gpu are little more than minimal entry level motherboards in yOUr quote price range. And most of those cheap entry level and not so costly boards with gpu built on are not going to support a later type performance FX-series cpu.

One last thing and I am going to quit advising and let you get whatever you want to purchase. The later AMD motherboards that are made specifically for APU's do pretty good in giving extra performance when run in Hybrid type crossfire. However it has been generally seen that the older motherboards that had the gpu built ONTO the motherboard, did n0t realize much more performance when they were run in Hybrid type crossfire and generally users with old style AMD boards, were advised to buy a 'good' video card and forget putting the add-in video card in hybrid crossfire.

One more last thing. ONLY certain video cards would allow enabling Hybrid type crossfire on boards with built on video. Just any video card could not be combined with onboard video to enable Hybrid Crossfire.

All of the information that I wrote is out there for the seeing. I know it because I have dug down into the what ifs' that are about various systems. Your best decisions are made only after you ask all the questions about what you want to buy and how it can be used. No I don't mean necessarily here in the forum. Google search is just burdened down with information.

Okay get whatever you want. Will not bother you again. Good luck as always and be well.

For the record, I love my 970 Extreme3. The M5A97 does just as well though (maybe better, trents would know). I'd go with whichever is cheaper (the Extreme3 was when I was shopping).

ok, so more time passes, and i now have an asus m5a78l-mlx v2 motherboard brought and installed this morning, and an asus 6670 graphics card, i have unlocked to a tri core via unleashing! 4 core isnt stable but cpuzid is reporting as x4? now its time to get my head round hybrid xfire with my intergrated graphics and an overclock, any comments appreciated as allways

Whatever speed increases you settle on should be verified as generally stable with at least 2 hours of P95 Blend testing and with HWMonitor logging temps and voltages so that you can verify that temps have not gone too high out of range. Be well man.

Back