• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Necessary Question unlocking Phenom x2 560

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aymanshow

Registered
hi guyz it's my first post and wont be the last one

once again i tried to unlock my Phenom II X2 560 BE after i added new side fans to get the case more cooler

i've tried to unlock it many time before and all was seams good but i was not able to stress it because of heat
so every time i turn it back to it's defaults 2 cores :)
but this time i decided to ask about this issue that facing me every time i try to unlock my processor

you can see in this screen shot in the "Preview Bar of the Explorer" the icon's colors is not well (above the red line i made)

56129171.png

and you can see in the screen shot the thumbnail of image files

58671351.png

some ppl told me to increase vcore may help but i don't know is that usefull

settings :
cool 'n' quit = disabled
Spread Spectrum = disabled
C1E = disabled
vcore = Auto

spec:
MoBo : ASrock 880GMH/U3S3
CPU : AMD Phenom II X2 560 BE
Ram : Kingston 4GB 1x4G 1333
CPU Cooler : stock cooler
Case : Cooler Master Elite 310 with CM PSU 400w

i want to apologize about my poor english :)
and i want to thank you about learning me gr8 things :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the colors of the icon. It is most likely a software issue, no idea though why it only happens when you have 4 cores enabled.

Is it possible for you to upgrade your cooler?

yes but after 3 months :(

but this colors wouldn't go away after turning to 2 cores
i should install windows again (with 2 cores defaults) to get rid of this bad colors :S

That could be SMART telling Windows that your hard drive is starting to become corrupt. It is getting kind of warm (my HDD is never above 30*C), but I think it should be safe up to 40*C or so. Maybe even more.

I would download a HDD health monitor program to find out exactly what's going on with it.

That could be SMART telling Windows that your hard drive is starting to become corrupt. It is getting kind of warm (my HDD is never above 30*C), but I think it should be safe up to 40*C or so. Maybe even more.

I would download a HDD health monitor program to find out exactly what's going on with it.
This is what happens then:
Windows%20detected%20a%20hard%20disk%20problem_thumb.jpg

I think the icon just got corrupt somehow and it really isn't anything to worry about...as long as that is the only problem. :eh?:

This is what happens then:
Windows%20detected%20a%20hard%20disk%20problem_thumb.jpg

I think the icon just got corrupt somehow and it really isn't anything to worry about...as long as that is the only problem. :eh?:

no this message never been appear

and i said i can get rid of this problem by turn it back to x2 and install win again so it's not hdd problem mr.Dlaw :)

just i want to know if i get a good cooler and increase vcore a bit this problem may be solved or not ?

yes there's a problem i forgot
firefox crashs while browsing (just with X4)

i've tried last winter to stress 4cores about 15 min and no errors no blue screen no freez no restart

Run Prime95 with 4 cores for a few hours, at the small FFT setting. What is the CPU temp when running prime?
If it errors out, or your system crashes that means that at least one of the cores you unlocked is bad, and that is probably why you have all these problems.

Run Prime95 with 4 cores for a few hours, at the small FFT setting. What is the CPU temp when running prime?
If it errors out, or your system crashes that means that at least one of the cores you unlocked is bad, and that is probably why you have all these problems.

temp in idel 49~52
blend stress load reached 63 so i stoped it

but last winter i made a blend stress test about 15 minz and it also reached 66 so i turned it off

15 minutes is not enough to confirm whether the CPU is stable or not. Also, use small FFT for CPU stability testing.
You should run Prime for at least a few hours. If you're uncomfortable with the temperature, then get a good after market HSF first.

How are you reading the temps when unlOcked ? the temp sensor goes off when you unlock cores, plus 49-52 idle is super high, are you sure you're reading the temps correctly !

How are you reading the temps when unlOcked ? the temp sensor goes off when you unlock cores, plus 49-52 idle is super high, are you sure you're reading the temps correctly !

o_O the pic #2 i posted in the first post shows the cpu temp as "CPUTIN" and the value was 51 as can u c :)

That's not the core temp, that's the socket temp, which can be anywhere from 5-15c different from the core temp, the best way to work out the core temp is to run p95 as a dual core, watch the difference in core temp and socket temp, remember that difference, then once you unlock the cores and lose the ability to monitor core temps you can work it out by taking away the difference from the socket temp, as the socket temp stays true once unlocked.

i know the difference between the core temp value and the socket temp
my socket temp > core temp about 5~10 degrees

yes socket > core :)

It's no good guessing "about 5-10c" you should test it and have definitive figure, not a rough guide, and don't go from anybody else's difference as they are all different, you're idle temp of 52c, you are reading from the socket and this is what I'm saying, that is not the core temp which is the only one that really matters, and you want to keep that under 55c under load, so you need to find out for certain what you're core temp difference is, as it is one figure only, not "roughly 5-10c"

There have been some great threads lately about the accuracy of core temp reporting and it's relationship to socket temp. I used to think only core temp mattered but I have changed my mind on that. I began to notice that the Thuban core CPUs and a lot of the FX CPUs were giving core temps much lower than the socket temps, often in excess of a 20c differential. I was encountering instability well before the magic 55c core temp we so often preached. And after reading some of the information posted lately from people with more technical knowledge than myself, I have come to believe that both need to be looked at and I have come to believe that when you are employing good aftermarket cooling you need to be skeptical of the core temp reading when the differential is more than about 10c.

Last edited:
guys i want to ask about Thermaltake Contac 30 cooler
is't a good solution for my heat issue ?

Are you using the stock cooler as of now? If so, now wonder you were having heat problems when you unlocked it. The cooler you reference would certainly be an improvement over stock. It's tall, though. Make sure your case is wide enough to provide clearance to the side panel. It would need to be close to 8" wide outside measurement.

Back