• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a little CPU Cooler help i7 2600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Meaning that my overheating was caused by an unintentional OC in turbo. However the cores still reached 85C without that issue.

Okay now the results are in for the Noctua. I have had Prime95 running for an hour and it still is as I am typing this I have yet to break 65C. It seems to be hovering right at 63C and this is with turbo overclocked. I'm running a constant 3.8GHz with all four cores running. So yes this is all it is cracked up to be and it is slightly better than the Hyper212. My case cover fits on with room to spare. I can only run one fan unless I am willing to give up a memory slot and I'm not. However it seems the second fan is not needed. I just broke 65C while typing this. I'll let it run a while longer to see where it settles out.

Another 50 minutes and the temps have actually dropped. I guess the heatsink compound is starting to cure. Currently it's running at 62C composite. I'm calling it good.

Last edited:
Sooo wait a second... in one post you apologize to me as you have been running overclocked at 4.2Ghz (causing your high temps), and then your next post you still claim its a faulty heatsink? :shrug:

No I was not running a 4.2GHz OC with the temp problem. I did have turbo cranked up to 4.2GHz for a single core with the problem, but it was only a one second burst. 4 cores were all the way down at 3.8GHz. It's a small overclock it's a small 200Mhz short duration bump. The other thing I found that was bumping the temp was Intel's Lucid driver which OCed the video to 1500MHz upon install. No doing on my part. Between these two things I couldn't get through a five minute stress test. Backing off both resulted in the in the stress test hovering around 85C for five minutes. I didn't try a burn in test because I didn't like the numbers. Playing BC2 the cores were running at 78C with an occasional touch to 83C with no OC at all.

Now that I have installed the Noctua Cooler I have settled on a very mild bump for everything because rock solid stability is more important to me than being the very fastest. The turbo boost is set at 3.9GHz for four cores. The Video on the Intel integrated graphics is at 1500MHz back where Lucid set it. Memory is at 1853 settings and the NVIDIA GPU is at 900MHz. Everything is running cool and rock solid. All stress tests pass without error and the CPU never gets above 65C. The computer is very zippy and rock solid. I'm quite happy with the results.

The Noctua cooler has been in the case for about four days now and I noticed the temps are dropping further. I'm now idling at 24C and running Prime 95 under full load at 63C. I'm very pleased with the performance of this unit. It was worth the extra cost.

The Noctua cooler has been in the case for about four days now and I noticed the temps are dropping further. I'm now idling at 24C and running Prime 95 under full load at 63C. I'm very pleased with the performance of this unit. It was worth the extra cost.

I have a Zalman 9700NT and am running the same temps with mine. Only the Zalman looks nicer then the Noctua :D (in my opinion though :D)

Well there were a few reasons I decided not to go with the Zalman. One was the complaints of people cutting their fingers with the install. Second is the life cycle of the fan which is 150,000 hours for the Nocuta. But honestly the unit after getting it, really is pretty good looking. I expected pink kind and purple thing going on, it's not it's beige and brown and doesn't look bad at all. The thing is really well built. And if I want to knock the temps down further all I have to do is install the second fan. I'm very happy with it.

As your paste/compound breaks in the temps will go down a bit. If some how you can go push pull you would see a little more. Have you checked the speed of the fan on your cooler. Mind run a little over 1400 attached to the cup fan connector on the motherboard. They do is quietly. Corsair recommend drawing in cool air instead of drawing air from inside the case and blowing it out. I have found that if your case cools properly you can exhaust with the cpu fan with out temp change compared to intake on the cpu fan. Something to tinker with while watching the temps.

Interesting, I actually think my temps would be a little cooler if it weren't for the GPU. I noticed that the warm air from the GPU gets sucked directly into the CPU fan. I suppose I could reverse the direction of the rear case fan and the CPU fan to draw cold air in. My case top fan and the power supply fan would draw warm air out.

FX, I ran into the narrow case problem some years back with an older Cooler Master case and did a mod to give me more room. In my case, the side door didn't have a window already built into it, so I decided to make a window in it and make a spacer to space out the window some distance from the case side. I took some wood and cut it to fit the window I cut in the case side and mounted it to the side door, then mounted the Plexiglas to the wood spacer. It ended up looking decent enough and it now gives me enough clearance to mount normal tower style heatsinks in the case. Attached is a pic of the finished mod:

casemod035ark9.jpg

This pic was taken right after I did the mod. The basic mod hasn't changed except for mounting a case fan when the grilled you see in the pic is mounted. When I did this mod, I was using a TR S!I120 heatsink with a Delta GFB beast fan on it.

Looks good! I can't completely tell from your picture but it looks like your case may be my case. Does it have a Lexan door on the front?

As your paste/compound breaks in the temps will go down a bit. If some how you can go push pull you would see a little more. Have you checked the speed of the fan on your cooler. Mind run a little over 1400 attached to the cup fan connector on the motherboard. They do is quietly. Corsair recommend drawing in cool air instead of drawing air from inside the case and blowing it out. I have found that if your case cools properly you can exhaust with the cpu fan with out temp change compared to intake on the cpu fan. Something to tinker with while watching the temps.

I reversed the direction of the fans and it nets about 3C difference all around. The downside is my case is quite a bit noisier doing it this way. It now idles @ 24C and 61C under full load. I'll probably switch it back because I like the quite. Actually under full load two of the cores stay at 58 and 59C with this arrangement but one (core 3) stubbornly wants to rise to 62C. Core 4 is sitting @ 60C under load.

Last edited:
Back