• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a little help upgrading OLD computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duner

Hi all. I recently built a computer for a friend, but now we're not sure what to do with his old computer.

It's an old Compaq presario Celeron 600Mhz (9 X 66) on an intel i810E chipset motherboard, and 64MB of pc125 ram running at 66Mhz of course.

Now he wants to give it to his grandmother or something, but it's soooo slow that I'm thinking an upgrade is in order prior to giving it away.

Here are my thoughts:
1) I've got an extra stick of 128MB of PC133 ram that I could stick in. That ought to decrease the amount of swap file usage and speed things up.

2) New CPU. Here's where I could use some help. It's a socket 370 FC-PGA. I'm not too familiar with the older systems. The chipset supports FSB of 66/100/133. I'm leaning towards a P3 or Celeron tualatin, but I think I'll need an adapter socket FC-PGA2 --> FC-PGA. So what's the fastest chip that'll work with and without an adapter.

3) It's got a 15GB HDD and I'm not too keen on adding anything else because of $$

4) any other suggestions?

Thanks

something that old is beyond a upgrade of any kind.probably cant even play a chess simulator so not even worthy of ones grandmother.i advise a trip to the local refuse dump is in order.sell the hardrive though.

something that old is beyond a upgrade of any kind.probably cant even play a chess simulator so not even worthy of ones grandmother.i advise a trip to the local refuse dump is in order.sell the hardrive though.

That wasn't terribly helpfull. I know some people on these boards are still running tualatins so it's not completely obsoleted yet.

88 bucks, would be a waste, i would spend 220 and get the celly system from dell, 2.53 celly, 80GB SATA, no burner, no sound card, that should be enough to use for regular everyday work, if you upgrade the system you posted, it's gonna cost close to 200 anyhow, and it's not going anywhere.

Here is a new Celeron 1.1GHz retail version. It should help, and I don't think it needs an adapter (not sure though):
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CEL11001475-NB&cat=CPU
I would add the RAM in addition to that cpu. 192MB of RAM will definitely help. It helped on a K6 300, so it would help on that too, especially if it will be running XP.
Edit: It looks like that Celeron would need the adapter. Here is a cheap adapter:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=S370TUA&cat=CPU
There are also several other cpus on that site that would work both with and without the adapter. I think the fastest without the adapter is about 800MHz.

I would look around on eBay if you want to pick up a new CPU for a decent price. That Newegg price is rediculous for a 1ghz chip, you should be able to find something similar for cheaper on eBay.

I would forget about the Tualatin... it's very unlikely the BIOS is upgradable on that mobo and you'll need an adapter even if it could be upgraded. I'd add the RAM and use Windows 98. That's good enough for Grandma. If you are determined to get a processor, then that P-III that Electro listed in the last post would get my vote.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will deffinitely add the ram. This computer is running windows 98SE so that'll help as well. I think the best route is to shop around ebay for a P3 that doesn't need an adapter. I never really considered the bios recognition problems, especially with a Compaq system. Otherwise I'll go with that P3 933 that was linked. They seem to ship internationally and the exchange rates aren't that bad right now.

What kind of CPU socket? Is it one of the slot cards? I have a P3-850Mhz slot type from my previous motherboard.

Back