• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Motherboard for Quick Sync encoding.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KTRF

Registered
Hi, I was planning on getting a Asrock Z390 Taichi MB and an 9700K or maybe an 8700k.
I was wondering what other MB would you recommend that will allow Quick Sync encoding.
Its for a video editing PC.

Thanks in advance.

The ASRock Taichi is a great motherboard. But to get a more specific answer to your question you might ask it in a forum dedicated to AV users. Are you looking for a motherboard that is less expensive?

You might also try googling something like: "What Asus (or Gigabyte, or ASRock) socket 1151 motherboards that are compatible with quick sync."

The ASRock Taichi is a great motherboard. But to get a more specific answer to your question you might ask it in a forum dedicated to AV users. Are you looking for a motherboard that is less expensive?

You might also try googling something like: "What Asus (or Gigabyte, or ASRock) socket 1151 motherboards that are compatible with quick sync."

Thanks trents, for the tip and confirming what I thought about the Asrock board.
Well, cheaper wouldn't go a miss but its not the important factor. I wanted a good board that allows QS.

I'll have a look in the AV forum, thank you for your help.

Well, good question, I think the Z370 Taichi did. I'll look a bit deeper.

Looks like the Asrock Z390 Taichi does support QS.

From the ASRosk mother board site.

Supports Intel® UHD Graphics Built-in Visuals : Intel® Quick Sync Video.

AFAIK, the ability comes from the iGPU....so long as the cpu supports it, it will work on a board with integrated video outputs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

Intel® Quick Sync Video is Intel's brand for its dedicated video encoding and decoding hardware core. Quick Sync was introduced with the Sandy Bridge CPU microarchitecture on 9 January 2011, and has been found on the die of Intel products ever since.

Hi again, would I be foolish to go for an Asrock Z390 Extreme4 instead of the Z390 Taichi
The Extreme4 is about £80ish cheaper.
What benefits would I be missing out?

Thanks.

My suggestion is to go to newegg.com or ASRock website and do a comparison of the boards to see exactly what you are missing out on. I doubt it is much.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157848
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157857

Thank you, I just did that but to be honest I wouldn't know a lot about the difference :) I did compare the two boards and from what I saw I don't think there is a lot of difference.

For all intents and purposes, there isn't much difference for you outside of features and appearance. For features, that is why you do a side by side and compare. See if you need something the less expensive board is missing. I wouldn't worry about the VRM, etc.

Ok Thank you EarthDog, I'll have a closer look.
My current PC has the Graphic Card, MxM PCI-e/USB Reader that I use to copy my Sony SxS cards and I just need to add a BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4K card to the new build.
I have 6/7 internal Sata harddrives, DVD writer and a removable Harddrive caddy, that's about it.

Thanks again.

You'll have to pay attention to the SATA port count. 6 is all most have... If you have 7 or plan on expanding, you will want one with more.

My current board (Asrock Z68 Extreme7) has 10 sata ports but it might mean having less internal HDrives, I think I could manage that part OK.
If I wanted to add more sata ports is there a card I could fit to the motherboard?
Or is it best to avoid that idea? :)

Thanks.

:) I record weddings and need a right bit of storage, I've 1TB internal drives but could buy 2/3TB drives instead but don't like to go too big, all eggs in one becket and that.
I keep a Backup drive, 2 Video project drives, a drive for finished DVDs a drive to encode to, you see now how I use so many but I think I could may be cut down on one or two.

Perhaps consider making your backup drives external and connected through usb. That will free up a port or two. Also consider m.2 pcie nvme drive(s) as well for OS and warm and fast storage.

Perhaps consider making your backup drives external and connected through usb. That will free up a port or two. Also consider m.2 pcie nvme drive(s) as well for OS and warm and fast storage.

With recording weddings I can't make enough backups and I also back up to an external HD using the hard drive caddy
http://www.welland.com.tw/html/mobile/751.html
But as you suggested that will free up a port so I will be doing it that way with the new build.

Forgive my ignorance but I thought an nvme drive did away with a sata port.

Thank you.

It depends on the board and which slot. Two will likely take up a SATA port, but one in the proper slot will not on some boards. The trick is finding one. I think the Taichi Ultimate is one of those. Pretty surte there are a few more. You;d have to look at the manuals.

EDIT: Not sure any of those boards are in the budget though. In your case, you want all the sata you can get. The Gaming4 looks like a solid choice.

Last edited:
Back