• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Recommendation on a H2O setup for Dual NV6800 GT's (SLI) and an AMD FX-55

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would NOT y off the GPU lines..Go with series..That will maintain a higher flow rate which will lower temps.

I am not as smart as some and I have a question about that review concerning this comment.
"I’d like to note, too, that it’s harder to remove 250 watts of power from one source than a total of 250 watts from four components, so the efficiency of the Swiftech H20-120-P is going to be even a little bit higher in a real environment."

I disagree with that comment.1 source will reduce tubin,Bends,restrictions,and over all should be cooled more efficiently then having 3Blocks,and all the associated connections and tubing.

It is my understanding 250 watts is 250 watts no matter how it is added to the loop and for that reason I disagree with this mans results in that test.And seriously would be leary using such a small surfaced area rad to cool 200 plus watts of GPU related heat...I also want to add a little of my own experence to avoid a debate or war.I cooled Dual MP Processors Overclocked like mad putting 224 watts of heat into my loop at load.I used the MCP600 Free flowing Sprial blocks and a Bonniville heater core with 2 103cfm 120mm fans on a shroud.I would reach 43 to 45c temps.

I again do not know it all , I had twice the rad surface area and a lot more powerful fan set up..I would have been scared to install eather of those rads in my loop personally just because water cooling massivly depends on air cooling to remove the heat and nothing can beat surface area so long as the flow is keept to a decient level.

diehrd said:
1. I would NOT y off the GPU lines..Go with series..That will maintain a higher flow rate which will lower temps.

2. I again do not know it all , I had twice the rad surface area and a lot more powerful fan set up..I would have been scared to install eather of those rads in my loop personally just because water cooling massivly depends on air cooling to remove the heat and nothing can beat surface area so long as the flow is keept to a decient level.

1. The thought was that when the GPU's are run in a series, the 2nd GPU would run hotter than the first. With a Y, each GPU would get water at the same temperature thereby cooling them equally. I could however be completely wrong on my grasp of how watercooling works. ;)

2. Unfortunately, Its all the space I have to work with. I am going to be running two 86CFM fans on each radiator in a push/pull configuration so that should increase its efficiency.

Josh_Hayes said:
1. The thought was that when the GPU's are run in a series, the 2nd GPU would run hotter than the first. With a Y, each GPU would get water at the same temperature thereby cooling them equally. I could however be completely wrong on my grasp of how watercooling works. ;)

2. Unfortunately, Its all the space I have to work with. I am going to be running two 86CFM fans on each radiator in a push/pull configuration so that should increase its efficiency.

1. Total misconception read some stickies.Flow appears to always provide more benifit.And the water temp will equilize in a loop, so much heat added minus what is removed by heater core.And you end up with a water temp almost exactly the same entering both blocks when in series.Also keep in mind a GPU block is more restrictive then a CPU block,SO cutting flow to it is not a good idea just because it is a low volume block to begin with..IMO

I just completed the first mod on my new case...

Here's something for those of you that might think my OCZ PowerStream 520 power supply wont be able to supply enough power for my rig...

PSUMod2.jpg

PSUMod5sm.jpg

I just added my PC Power and Cooling Silencer 400 ATX power supply as an internal secondary PSU. I gutted an old DVD-ROM and reinforced the interior of the housing. I then drilled holes in the side of the PSU and the top of the DVD-ROM. I have three threaded bolts with rubber grommits holding it in place. The mounting is solid as a rock, its not going anywhere! :D

I'm planning on running the power cable out one of the PCI bracket slots or out the bottom or back of the case.

-Josh

Last edited:
ARGH! Decisions, Decisions...

Here's another setup... I can't decide... I think this might be it unless someone sees a problem with it:

50Z-MCW6002-2Maze4-2BIP.jpg

These radiators are low resistance, I'm pressed for room, and you guys think that a single radiator isn't going to be enough. So Im thinking about using two Black Ice Pro radiators on a single loop using a MCP600/50z Pump to cool the CPU and both GPU's.

Please tell me there are no problems with this setup... I want to buy! :D

Well I finally committed and went ahead and ordered the following parts for this setup:

50Z-MCW6002-2Maze4-2BIP.jpg

www.sidewindercomputers.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Swiftech MCW6002 CPU Waterblock $ 45.00
Swiftech MCX159 Chipset Heatsink $ 32.95
2 x Black Ice Pro Radiators with 1/2" barbs $ 81.90
4 x Radiator Shrouds $ 35.80
Swiftech 5 1/4" Reservoir with 1/2" barbs $ 18.95
10 feet of Tygon R3603 1/2" ID - 11/16" OD tubing $ 20.50
HydrX Algicide and Anit-Corrisive Additive $ 3.29
4 x 80mm Fan Guards $ 7.80
120mm Fan Guard $ 1.95
20 Black Fan Screws $ 1.25
Shipping $ 13.00
Subtotal $ 262.39

www.cooltechnica.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12 Waterpump $ 79.00
20 black plastic tubing clamps $ 10.00
Shipping $ 10.45
Total $ 99.45

www.dangerdenstore.com
2 x Danger Den Maze4 GPU Waterblocks (Acetal) $ 92.90
Shipping $ 9.65
Total $ 102.55

Grand Total $ 464.39

I'll take some pics and update the thread as they arrive and I install them. :D

I don't understand why you went with Black Ice Pros instead of Xtremes. At first, your argument was that they perform better with low airflow, but then you mentioned having two 86CFM fans in push/pull on each rad. The Xtreme peforms great with that much air. You're going to end up losing performance and not saving that much money. Other than that, it looks great. I know I'm jealous :p

isisfreak said:
I don't understand why you went with Black Ice Pros instead of Xtremes. At first, your argument was that they perform better with low airflow, but then you mentioned having two 86CFM fans in push/pull on each rad. The Xtreme peforms great with that much air. You're going to end up losing performance and not saving that much money. Other than that, it looks great. I know I'm jealous :p

The Black Ice Pro works better than the Black Ice Extreme radiator when using lower-CFM fans.

BIP%20BIX%20diss.gif

BIP%20BIX%20C-W.gif

My fans perform slightly worse than the 1212M shown above.

Looking good so far , it is refined down t a much easier and cleener system I see..

I would also like to suggest ya ditch PSU # 2,You have no need for 2 units I can safely say this because my System easily uses the amount of power you are going to need and i do it on a single Fotron 530,not to mention the hassle and loss of space you will have to deal with by adding a second PSU..

Look at the best Fortron has to offer,Or Ernamax,Ocz and other quality names like Sparkle or even a Zippy...You will be beter off in the long run getting one powerfull enough AND it may allow you to place both rads at the TOP and OR get a single rad that accepts 3x120 mm fans along its finned area.

Well my parts have arrived... Now I just have to go get plumbers tape and the motivation to install all this stuff.

50zasm.jpg

50zbsm.jpg

BIPasm.jpg

BIPbsm.jpg

MCW6002asm.jpg

MCW6002bsm.jpg

DDMaze4asm.jpg

DDMaze4bsm.jpg

MCX159sm.jpg

Any tips or suggestions before installing my first watercooling system?

Last edited:
In the future you may want to upgrade to these for 6800 WB's. I'm currently finishing a review on the Danger Den NV-68 Rev1.1 GPU/GDDR3 waterblock. It's highly effective at dissipating heat. It's weight is significant, but once you've slowed the kinectic activity in the copper molecules (cooled it) the mass dissipates the kinetic energy (heat) from the GPU and memory "just like butta..." Here's my review on the block's your using now. You made a great choice.
2004_1115Image0073.JPG

Attachments

• 2005_0212Image089.JPG
    2005_0212Image089.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2005_0212Image0106.JPG
    2005_0212Image0106.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 2005_0215Image0014.JPG
    2005_0215Image0014.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 2005_0215Image0022.JPG
    2005_0215Image0022.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 29
I installed the MCX159 on the chipset, removed the secondary PSU, and cleaned up the wiring a little...

Inside3sm.jpg

ChipsetInssm.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, now your GPU block looks different to mine, mainly the writing on the back is DD instead of my Danger Den....from the pics I cant really tell if the front is at all different... Just wondering if there is any difference between this "newer" maze4 and my older one...Is it worth upgrading?

Back