• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice for buying a CPU on BUDGET

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He's not OCing, he doesn't need a high end board at all.

I know I was just giving him an example of what I'm using. He's going Intel anyways (AMD is massively overpriced in indonesia) so the board I posted wasn't meant as a build suggestion just to show him what I have and what it compares to as non-Fatal1ty. I think the Asrock board he's looking at is an excellent choice for the money.

I still don't really get the boards. I mean lets say i pay for one i can do both OC and Crossfire, but there are even more crazy ones , like over 400 - 500 USD

But a board that cost 150 - 200 already seems powerful enough lol

So whats special in those costing 400 - 500 ? Well more PCIE slots i can see that.....maybe better built in sound card like THX / Creative Sound Blaster etc.

More USB etc yes

But is there something more in it for that im paying so much more , i doubt im paying so much more just because for the extra slots and USB etc = 0 ?

Is it you can OC better or something something ?

Yeah, benchmarking. This website has a great benchmarking team, they frequently use liquid nitrogen and dry ice as cooling and OC to 6+GHz and who knows what else. They're the ones that need DDR3-2400 RAM, need the UD7 and the ASUS ROG motherboards, need the $1000 CPU. In their world, the difference between 5.8GHz and 5.85GHz can be the difference between 1st and 2nd place. Every single little bit matters.

O yeah benchmarking yeah i know of it tons of website , 3D mark , Engine Heaven etc etc

And since you mentioned about the RAM , i also just recently found out certain boards are able to only support up to certain MHZ if not mistaken

Well yeah even building a PC is hell expensive here but there is alot of rich *** here.

We do have OC competition too , never went to see one before , i think i must attend it one day. Its sponsored / hosted by MSI

We too are crazy enough to use Liquid Nitrogen to cool it down lol

Saw in the magazine recently i think someone also was able to push it up to 6 GHZ here or maybe 4 GHZ least i wasn't very sure not much interest in it

So i guess overclocking its one part of PC hobby.

So do you join OC competition too Knufire ?

Sorry probably me, I've had a beer or two and someone did the same to me the other day hehe :)

It's all good I probably miss interpreted what you where saying.

:bang head

:beer:

Hey guys lol , another changes to my list again ! Well i myself is bored of changing it , not my fault since the prices kept changing at the shops , i have no idea why ! Is prices always changes at your country too ? ?

Anyways i think not many of you like AMD , now the AMD FX-8120 (RM 570 , first launched was RM 700+) its actually cheap as the 2500K (which there's isnt anymore here) and cheaper than the I5 3450 (RM 585)

Even the Mobo is cheaper for AM3+ , GIGABYTE 970A-D3 (RM 289)
(Intel Mobo Gigabyte H77M-D3 , RM299)

Thing is many people said AMD FX series is a total failure , don't get it. I check Benchmarking too it actually lost to the I5 2500K by slightly (Full stock no OC for both)

So since i dont do OC , do you guys think it is ok if i go with

AMD FX 8120 + GIGABYTE 970A-D3

By specs i dont understand why the FX 8120 loses, specs totally beats the I5 2500K and the 3450.

As you guys know im getting a Sapphire HD 7850 2GB OC with it too

But , even if you guys confirm its ok i cant yet, this is just an online reference price list , it not 100% sure i have to pop over their shop first.

The FX series cost a lot more when it first came out. At its current prices, it's not a bad deal.

The major flaw with Bulldozer is that it performs like a octocore with integer calculations, but performs like a quad core with floating point calculations. It's not a true octocore, but not a quad core either, it's something in between. Also, IPC (basically performance at equal clock and core counts, you can use this to compare Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge itself instead of comparing actual CPUs) is slower than the Phenom II X6 CPUs, so in a way, it was a step backward for AMD.

Thing is Bulldozer really loses performance when you take away cores (since you only get half the number of cores for floating point, so that goes down twice as fast), considering the price drops, the FX-8xxx series is a good option if you can't afford Intel.

Ugh its really hard to decide lol....but as i mentioned i really prefer AMD over INTEL even at first.

Ok what about power , i think its still ok , i remember i calculated i need its only over 300+ W so i still had 200 W + allowance , so i guess its no big problem right ?

Also FX8120 + Gigabyte 970A-D3 , can OC ?

I'd stick with the intel honestly....

For his uses either one will be fine. Intel has the slight edge in unbiased benchmarks (in other words benchmarks not coded using intel IPP or libraries with the biased CPU dispatcher) while losing in others (i.e. 2500K vs 8120/8150 clock for clock). But they also have already released their next gen with a slight performance boost (IB) BUT also has temperature issues. The one thing going for intel is that it has CPU's in the top end area where AMD doesn't (2700K, 3930K, 3960X etc). You're not going to find an AMD CPU in the $500 to $1000+ monster CPU range.

Now for AMD they do and always have provide good value for the price or "bang for the buck". Despite what some would have everyone believe, in their current price range (in the US at least) they are very competitive vs. their Intel counterpart and in some cases provide a better "bang for the buck" (i.e. 6100 over i3-21xx). Another thing going for AMD is that they tend to stick to one socket through several generations negating the need to buy a new motherboard every time a next gen CPU is released. Meanwhile Intel is notorious for redesigning the socket often (I HIGHLY doubt 1155 will make it past IB in fact I'd bet money on it). Also AMD MB's tend to be less expensive vs their intel counterpart (with the same features and capabilities or very close to it), although the gap is not as large as it used to be.

In the end either choice would work well for the OP. He just needs to sit down and figure out what his future plans and current needs are.

It'll OC, but you need the best cooling you can buy with Bulldozer.

Yeah i heard that the FX runs pretty hot , everyone who OC it also uses water cooling or better cooler.

As for im using Cooler Master TX3 EVO. I might OC it maybe not , not sure lol , maybe just for the fun of it since i never did it before.

Even so i doubt i push it hard like most people does , maybe 3.6 or so lol.

Many ppl OCed it to over 4 ghz , some even able to achieved 5 i heard with this FX 8120.

Some say now Windows 7 release a new update making this FX series runs better

Well say its easier than done , saying i want to OC , but i still doesn't know how LOL!

Yeah i wanted to asked that how do you tell that this chip on the Mobo is able to do OC ? Like INTEL ones i guess for LGA 1155 its Z77 chip

What about AMD ?

Yeah i heard that the FX runs pretty hot , everyone who OC it also uses water cooling or better cooler.

As for im using Cooler Master TX3 EVO. I might OC it maybe not , not sure lol , maybe just for the fun of it since i never did it before.

Even so i doubt i push it hard like most people does , maybe 3.6 or so lol.

Many ppl OCed it to over 4 ghz , some even able to achieved 5 i heard with this FX 8120.

Some say now Windows 7 release a new update making this FX series runs better

Well say its easier than done , saying i want to OC , but i still doesn't know how LOL!

Yeah i wanted to asked that how do you tell that this chip on the Mobo is able to do OC ? Like INTEL ones i guess for LGA 1155 its Z77 chip

What about AMD ?

Doesn't run nearly as hot as Ivy Bridge. You only need water cooling if you're going to be OC'ing above 4.3ish or so. Even a good air cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo will take it to 4.5GHz. The stock coolers really are not that great at all though.

Doesn't run nearly as hot as Ivy Bridge. You only need water cooling if you're going to be OC'ing above 4.3ish or so. Even a good air cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo will take it to 4.5GHz. The stock coolers really are not that great at all though.

Well the architectures are different. And the heat issue for Ivy bridge is sorely over hyped. And if you consider the standard hyper 212 EVO will take an ivy 3570k to 4.2 ghz, it mops the floor with any competing amd CPU at the same or similar clock speed. Ivy runs hotter because it can..

I doubt i will OC till that high. More importantly this is just a thought maybe i wont even OC lol , will consider it. I worry bad things happen if i dont do it properly.

But for GPU its just simple right ? On the Catalys just pull the clock speed ?

Since im only getting a 550W , i wonder if I OC it will it be enough power lol. Even if i dont go all out like 4.0+ GHZ on my CPU and MAXED out on my GPU Clock.

I wanted to get 212 EVO , but due to some budget here and there i cant anymore lol.

Though my casing will be load full of fans lol. I decided to get AeroCool STRIKE-X now i think many people doen't like AeroCool much but they seem decent , i saw many " gay " build also uses AeroCool casing. Hope casing will help out with cooling.

But also i saw a review the TX3 EVO is good as the 212 EVO , but TX3 EVO have to run least like 10 - 30% faster with the FAN , so basically it will be louder but of course when comparing full speed still 212 EVO will win.

I doubt i will OC till that high. More importantly this is just a thought maybe i wont even OC lol , will consider it. I worry bad things happen if i dont do it properly.

But for GPU its just simple right ? On the Catalys just pull the clock speed ?

Since im only getting a 550W , i wonder if I OC it will it be enough power lol. Even if i dont go all out like 4.0+ GHZ on my CPU and MAXED out on my GPU Clock.

I wanted to get 212 EVO , but due to some budget here and there i cant anymore lol.

Though my casing will be load full of fans lol. I decided to get AeroCool STRIKE-X now i think many people doen't like AeroCool much but they seem decent , i saw many " gay " build also uses AeroCool casing. Hope casing will help out with cooling.

But also i saw a review the TX3 EVO is good as the 212 EVO , but TX3 EVO have to run least like 10 - 30% faster with the FAN , so basically it will be louder but of course when comparing full speed still 212 EVO will win.

It all depends on which GPU you get with it. OCing + a GPU that will draw lots of power = you need more than 550.
The 212 Evo is by far the best "bang for the buck" when it comes to air cooling. There are a few that do slightly better but last I checked where much more expensive.

I be getting the Sapphire 7850 OC 2GB , it only requires 1 6pin power connector = p

Enermax 550W NAXN 80+ BRONZE PSU =)

This bad boy pretty powerful too the Cooler Master TPC 812 , but this baby cost over 250 here (so its around 80 - 90 USD)

But from the magazine i read it can beat the stock INTEL Liquid Cooler ( not sure which model thats what they said only , no model )

Wanted to ask do you guys OC via Mobo BIOS or you use other programs ?

Another thing....i just remember that , will my PSU have enough connectors for my casing and fans = = "?

I know it will have enough for 1 X Mobo , 1 X CPU , 1 X HDD , 1 X DVD , 1 X GPU

The AeroCool Strike X casing comes with 3 fans installed , LED light on the front panel (maybe needed).

Will i have enough if I add in another 3 more fans ?

The PSU only have 5X SATA , 4X 4P MOLEX and 1X FDD

Back