• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on migrating my OS to a new drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I just got a new Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD and I'd like to transfer my OS from the 7200RPM platter drive to the new SSD. What is the best way to do that without losing data?

How large is the 7200 rpm platter drive?

Most free options require the target drive to be at least as large as the source drive. If they are the same size one good option is cloning or imaging with Macrium Reflect.

Acronis True Image is an excellent commercial option that will dynamically adjust the size of the partitions to fill the target drive whether it be larger or smaller than the source drive. You can often find older versions of Acronis on sale for dirt cheap.

Turns out the SSD was DOA....Samsung has a data migration program that I found ou I could use that also optimizes the drive(from what I heard). At least they're paying for the return shipping :)

Samsung's Magician migration tool is a clone tool that works for the entire contents of a drive as long as one of the drives being used in the migration is a Samsung device. I've used it and it works great!

Turns out either the SATA cable or SATA port was the problem the entire time.....replaced the cable and changed the drive to a different port and everything works great.

Did you successfully clone the drive? Here are a couple "honorable mentions" cloning solutions:

1) Ease US Partition Master
2) StorageCraft ShadowProtect

Both are paid programs, however.

I would say use Partition Magic, but since Symantec Corporation killed it after they bought out Power Quest, you can't get it and it only works on 32 bit Windows.
NewEgg has a few utilities as well has those that others mentioned to copy a partition to another drive.

I would say use Partition Magic, but since Symantec Corporation killed it after they bought out Power Quest, you can't get it and it only works on 32 bit Windows.
NewEgg has a few utilities as well has those that others mentioned to copy a partition to another drive.

just a tip to whoever wishes to swap drives long as the new drive has enough storage and is smaller than the windows needs easus toto backup has a windows cloning tool that moves everything over without a hitch, just moved two systems over to smaller drives worked flawlessly. best of all its free to home users.

I just remembered, you could use Linux, just put the DVD in but don't install it and run Gparted off the live DVD and move partitions. Gparted has a lot of features like Partition Magic.

I just remembered, you could use Linux, just put the DVD in but don't install it and run Gparted off the live DVD and move partitions. Gparted has a lot of features like Partition Magic.

there's also clonezilla which works fantastically.

Back